Dr. Awika's broad interest is in developing technologies that maximize the ability of food to protect humans against chronic disease. His research focuses on the chemistry behind the behavior and properties of specific micro (polyphenols) and macro (starch and proteins) food constituents derived from grains. The interactions of the starch and proteins with the polyphenols, and how these interactions affect the rheological and biologically relevant properties of the molecules are of interest. How the structure of the polyphenols can be used to predict and manipulate their chemical behavior and function in food systems, as well as predict their interactions relevant inflammatory response in biological models is a major area of focus.
Dr. Awika's research involves multidisciplinary and international collaborations with geneticists, nutritional biochemists, agronomists, plant breeders, among others, from around the world.
- Ravisankar, S., Queiroz, V., & Awika, J. M. (2020). Rye flavonoids - Structural profile of the flavones in diverse varieties and effect of fermentation and heat on their structure and antioxidant properties.. FOOD CHEMISTRY. 324, 126871-126871.
- Rudd, J. C., Devkota, R. N., Ibrahim, A. M., Baker, J. A., Baker, S., Sutton, R., ... Graybosch, R. A. (2019). 'TAM 204' Wheat, Adapted to Grazing, Grain, and Graze-out Production Systems in the Southern High Plains. Journal of Plant Registrations. 13(3), 377-382.
- Girard, A. L., Teferra, T., & Awika, J. M. (2019). Effects of condensed vs hydrolysable tannins on gluten film strength and stability. FOOD HYDROCOLLOIDS. 89, 36-43.
- Teferra, T. F., Amoako, D. B., Rooney, W. L., & Awika, J. M. (2019). Qualitative assessment of 'highly digestible' protein mutation in hard endosperm sorghum and its functional properties. FOOD CHEMISTRY. 271, 561-569.
- Amoako, D. B., & Awika, J. M. (2019). Resistant starch formation through intrahelical V-complexes between polymeric proanthocyanidins and amylose. FOOD CHEMISTRY. 285, 326-333.
- Awika, J., Ojwang, L., & Girard, A. (2019). CHAPTER 14: Anthocyanins, Deoxyanthocyanins and Proanthocyanidins as Dietary Constituents in Grain Products. Food Chemistry, Function and Analysis. (pp. 305-331). Royal Society of Chemistry.
- Taylor, J., & Awika, J. M. (2017). Future Research Needs for the Ancient Grains. Gluten-Free Ancient Grains: Cereals, Pseudocereals, and Legumes: Sustainable, Nutritious, and Health-Promoting Foods for the 21st Century. (pp. 297-328). Elsevier.
- Awika, J. M. (2017). Sorghum: Its Unique Nutritional and Health-Promoting Attributes. Gluten-Free Ancient Grains: Cereals, Pseudocereals, and Legumes: Sustainable, Nutritious, and Health-Promoting Foods for the 21st Century. (pp. 21-54). Elsevier.
- Yang, L., Allred, K. F., Allred, C. D., Awika, J. M., Dykes, L., & Dykes, L. (2011). Phytoestrogenic activity of sorghum with different flavonoid compositions. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 241,
- Awika, J. M., Yang, L., & Ojwang, L. (2011). Effect of sorghum flavonoid composition on biomarkers of chemoprevention. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 241,
- Awika, J. M. (2011). Major cereal grains production and use around the world. SCATTERING FROM POLYMERS. 1089, 1-13.
- Awika, J. M. (2011). Sorghum flavonoids: Unusual compounds with promising implications for health. SCATTERING FROM POLYMERS. 1089, 171-200.
- Awika, J. M., Dykes, L., Gu, L. W., Rooney, L. W., & Prior, R. (2004). Effect of processing on molecular weight distribution and antioxidant properties of sorghum proanthocyanidins.. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 228, U248-U248.
- Girard, Audrey Lea (2018-05). CONDENSED TANNINS INTERACTION WITH AND MODIFICATION OF WHEAT GLUTEN PROTEINS. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Kim, Taehoon (2018-05). Texturization of Pulse Proteins: Peas, Lentils, and Faba Beans. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Amoako, Derrick Brian (2017-12). Mechanisms of Starch-Proanthocyanidin Interactions and Impact on Starch Digestibility. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Agah, Shima (2016-05). Enhanced Action of Sorghum and Cowpea Flavonoid Mixtures Against Inflammation. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Collison, Amy Elizabeth (2014-08). Influence of Genetic Background on Anthocyanin and Co-Pigment Profile and Stability of Colored Corn. (Master's Thesis)