Dr. Awika's broad interest is in developing technologies that maximize the ability of food to protect humans against chronic disease. His research focuses on the chemistry behind the behavior and properties of specific micro (polyphenols) and macro (starch and proteins) food constituents derived from grains. The interactions of the starch and proteins with the polyphenols, and how these interactions affect the rheological and biologically relevant properties of the molecules are of interest. How the structure of the polyphenols can be used to predict and manipulate their chemical behavior and function in food systems, as well as predict their interactions relevant inflammatory response in biological models is a major area of focus.
Dr. Awika's research involves multidisciplinary and international collaborations with geneticists, nutritional biochemists, agronomists, plant breeders, among others, from around the world.
- Ravisankar, S., Queiroz, V., & Awika, J. M. (2020). Rye flavonoids - Structural profile of the flavones in diverse varieties and effect of fermentation and heat on their structure and antioxidant properties.. FOOD CHEMISTRY. 324, 126871-126871.
- Herrman, D. A., Brantsen, J. F., Ravisankar, S., Lee, K., & Awika, J. M. (2020). Stability of 3-deoxyanthocyanin pigment structure relative to anthocyanins from grains under microwave assisted extraction. FOOD CHEMISTRY. 333, 127494-127494.
- Ravisankar, S., Agah, S., Kim, H., Talcott, S., Wu, C., & Awika, J. (2019). Combined cereal and pulse flavonoids show enhanced bioavailability by downregulating phase II metabolism and ABC membrane transporter function in Caco-2 model. FOOD CHEMISTRY. 279, 88-97.
- Girard, A. L., Teferra, T., & Awika, J. M. (2019). Effects of condensed vs hydrolysable tannins on gluten film strength and stability. FOOD HYDROCOLLOIDS. 89, 36-43.
- Teferra, T. F., Amoako, D. B., Rooney, W. L., & Awika, J. M. (2019). Qualitative assessment of 'highly digestible' protein mutation in hard endosperm sorghum and its functional properties. FOOD CHEMISTRY. 271, 561-569.
- Awika, J., Ojwang, L., & Girard, A. (2019). CHAPTER 14: Anthocyanins, Deoxyanthocyanins and Proanthocyanidins as Dietary Constituents in Grain Products. Food Chemistry, Function and Analysis. (pp. 305-331). Royal Society of Chemistry.
- Taylor, J., & Awika, J. M. (2017). Future Research Needs for the Ancient Grains. Gluten-Free Ancient Grains: Cereals, Pseudocereals, and Legumes: Sustainable, Nutritious, and Health-Promoting Foods for the 21st Century. (pp. 297-328). Elsevier.
- Awika, J. M. (2017). Sorghum: Its Unique Nutritional and Health-Promoting Attributes. Gluten-Free Ancient Grains: Cereals, Pseudocereals, and Legumes: Sustainable, Nutritious, and Health-Promoting Foods for the 21st Century. (pp. 21-54). Elsevier.
- Awika, J. M., Yang, L., & Ojwang, L. (2011). Effect of sorghum flavonoid composition on biomarkers of chemoprevention. ACS Photonics. 241,
- Awika, J. M. (2011). Major cereal grains production and use around the world. GROUP 13 CHEMISTRY: FROM FUNDAMENTALS TO APPLICATIONS. 1089, 1-13.
- Yang, L., Allred, K. F., Allred, C. D., Awika, J. M., Dykes, L., & Dykes, L. (2011). Phytoestrogenic activity of sorghum with different flavonoid compositions. ACS Photonics. 241,
- Awika, J. M. (2011). Sorghum flavonoids: Unusual compounds with promising implications for health. GROUP 13 CHEMISTRY: FROM FUNDAMENTALS TO APPLICATIONS. 1089, 171-200.
- Awika, J. M., Dykes, L., Gu, L. W., Rooney, L. W., & Prior, R. (2004). Effect of processing on molecular weight distribution and antioxidant properties of sorghum proanthocyanidins.. ACS Photonics. 228, U248-U248.
- Excellence in Teaching Award conferred by AACC International - (Eagan, Minnesota, United States) conferred by AACC International 2016
- Dean’s Outstanding Achievement Award conferred by Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) - for Interdisciplinary Research Team 2015
- Girard, Audrey Lea (2018-05). CONDENSED TANNINS INTERACTION WITH AND MODIFICATION OF WHEAT GLUTEN PROTEINS. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Kim, Taehoon (2018-05). Texturization of Pulse Proteins: Peas, Lentils, and Faba Beans. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Amoako, Derrick Brian (2017-12). Mechanisms of Starch-Proanthocyanidin Interactions and Impact on Starch Digestibility. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Agah, Shima (2016-05). Enhanced Action of Sorghum and Cowpea Flavonoid Mixtures Against Inflammation. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Collison, Amy Elizabeth (2014-08). Influence of Genetic Background on Anthocyanin and Co-Pigment Profile and Stability of Colored Corn. (Master's Thesis)