Dr. Awika's broad interest is in developing technologies that maximize the ability of food to protect humans against chronic disease. His research focuses on the chemistry behind the behavior and properties of specific micro (polyphenols) and macro (starch and proteins) food constituents derived from grains. The interactions of the starch and proteins with the polyphenols, and how these interactions affect the rheological and biologically relevant properties of the molecules are of interest. How the structure of the polyphenols can be used to predict and manipulate their chemical behavior and function in food systems, as well as predict their interactions relevant inflammatory response in biological models is a major area of focus.
Dr. Awika's research involves multidisciplinary and international collaborations with geneticists, nutritional biochemists, agronomists, plant breeders, among others, from around the world.
- Ravisankar, S., Dizlek, H., & Awika, J. M. (2021). Changes in extractable phenolic profile during natural fermentation of wheat, sorghum and teff.. Food Res Int. 145, 110426-110426.
- Patrignani, M., Brantsen, J. F., Awika, J. M., & Conforti, P. A. (2021). Application of a novel microwave energy treatment on brewers' spent grain (BSG): Effect on its functionality and chemical characteristics.. Food Chem. 346, 128935-128935.
- Herrman, D. A., Brantsen, J. F., Ravisankar, S., Lee, K., & Awika, J. M. (2020). Stability of 3-deoxyanthocyanin pigment structure relative to anthocyanins from grains under microwave assisted extraction.. Food Chem. 333, 127494-127494.
- Ravisankar, S., Queiroz, V., & Awika, J. M. (2020). Rye flavonoids - Structural profile of the flavones in diverse varieties and effect of fermentation and heat on their structure and antioxidant properties.. Food Chem. 324, 126871-126871.
- Rudd, J. C., Devkota, R. N., Ibrahim, A. M., Baker, J. A., Baker, S., Sutton, R., ... Graybosch, R. A. (2019). ‘TAM 204’ Wheat, Adapted to Grazing, Grain, and Graze-out Production Systems in the Southern High Plains. Journal of Plant Registrations. 13(3), 377-382.
- Awika, J., Ojwang, L., & Girard, A. (2018). CHAPTER 14. Anthocyanins, Deoxyanthocyanins and Proanthocyanidins as Dietary Constituents in Grain Products. Food Chemistry, Function and Analysis. 305-331. Royal Society of Chemistry.
- Awika, J. M. (2017). Sorghum: Its Unique Nutritional and Health-Promoting Attributes. Gluten-Free Ancient Grains. 21-54. Elsevier.
- Awika, J. M., Yang, L., & Ojwang, L. (2011). Effect of sorghum flavonoid composition on biomarkers of chemoprevention. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 241,
- Yang, L., Allred, K. F., Allred, C. D., Awika, J. M., Dykes, L., & Dykes, L. (2011). Phytoestrogenic activity of sorghum with different flavonoid compositions. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 241,
- Awika, J. M. (2011). Major Cereal Grains Production and Use around the World. ACS Symposium Series. 1089, 1-13.
- Awika, J. M. (2011). Sorghum Flavonoids: Unusual Compounds with Promising Implications for Health. ACS Symposium Series. 1089, 171-200.
- Awika, J. M., Dykes, L., Gu, L. W., Rooney, L. W., & Prior, R. (2004). Effect of processing on molecular weight distribution and antioxidant properties of sorghum proanthocyanidins.. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 228, U248-U248.
- Dean's Outstanding Achievement Award for Interdisciplinary Research conferred by Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) - for Interdisciplinary Research Team 2015
- Kent, Mitchell Allen (2020-08). Assessment of Novel Sorghum Kernel Characteristics and Functionality. (Master's Thesis)
- Kent, Mitchell Allen (2020-07). Assessment of Novel Sorghum Kernel Characteristics and Functionality. (Master's Thesis)
- Ravisankar, Shreeya (2019-12). INTERACTIVE EFFECTS OF CEREAL-PULSE FLAVONOID COMBINATIONS ON THEIR BIOAVAILABILITY. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Ravisankar, Shreeya (2019-08). INTERACTIVE EFFECTS OF CEREAL-PULSE FLAVONOID COMBINATIONS ON THEIR BIOAVAILABILITY. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Teferra, Tadesse Fikre (2019-05). Effect of Combining Highly Digestible Protein and Waxy Starch Traits on Sorghum Endosperm Functionality and Protein Digestibility. (Doctoral Dissertation)