My research focuses on conventional, cytogenetic, and genomic strategies towards development of improved perennial grasses as biorefinery platforms for biofuels, turfgrasses, forage, ornamentals, phytoremediators and renewable bio-based products. This includes developing molecular tools to assist marker-assisted breeding programs for value-added traits such as: net primary productivity, carbon sequestration, perenniality, photoperiodism, hybrid sterility, and apomixis. Feedstocks are further selected for resource use efficiency, stress tolerance, and novel seeded-yet-sterile hybrid systems.
- Porter, N. T., Burson, B. L., Washburn, J. D., Klein, R. R., & Jessup, R. W (2021). Cytogenetics and fertility of an induced tetraploid Sorghum bicolor x S. propinquum hybrid. Crop Science. (3),
- Foster, T. L., Baldi, H. D., Shen, X., Burson, B. L., Klein, R. R., Murray, S. C., & Jessup, R. W. (2020). Development of novel perennial Sorghum bicolor × S. propinquum hybrids. Crop Science. 60(2), 863-872.
- Sharma, S., Rajan, N., Cui, S., Maas, S., Casey, K., Ale, S., & Jessup, R. (2019). Carbon and evapotranspiration dynamics of a non-native perennial grass with biofuel potential in the southern U.S. Great Plains. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology. 269-270, 285-293.
- Foster, J. L., ThomasMoen, M. E., McCuistion, K. C., Redmon, L. A., & Jessup, R. W. (2019). Potential of Ensiling Sorghum without Grain Pretreated with Enzymes or Bacterial Inoculants. Crop Science. 59(5), 2258-2263.
- Sharma, S., Rajan, N., Cui, S., Casey, K., Ale, S., Jessup, R., & Maas, S. (2017). Seasonal variability of evapotranspiration and carbon exchanges over a biomass sorghum field in the Southern U.S. Great Plains. Biomass and Bioenergy. 105, 392-401.
- Jessup, R. W (2013). Perennialism and Weediness in the Saccharinae. Genomics of the Saccharinae. 503-515. Springer New York.
- Jessup, R. W (2011). Development and Status of Dedicated Energy Crops in the United States. Biofuels. 97-112. Springer New York.
- Venuto, B. C., Croughan, S. S., Pitman, W. D., Jessup, R. W., Renganayaki, K., & Burson, B. L (2007). Variation among hexaploid Paspalum dilatatum Poir. regenerants from tissue culture. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture. 47(9), 1109-1109.
- Genetic Analysis of Multiple Eastern Gamagrass Ecotypes awarded by USDA - Agricultural Research Service 2018 - 2019
- Xie, Runshi (2017-12). EVALUATION OF LEAF PROTEIN CONTENT, EXTRACTION, AND PURIFICATION IN NAPIERGRASS (Pennisetum purpureum SCHUMACH.). (Master's Thesis)
- Chen, Zhaoxin (2017-08). Daily Light Integral Requirements for Zoysiagrass and Bermudagrass Cultivars: Fertility, Mowing Height, and Growth Regulator Interactions. (Master's Thesis)
- Wilson, Gregory Bryan (2017-08). Evaluation of Herbicides on the Establishment of Pearl Millet [Pennisetum glaucum (L.) R. Br.] x Napiergrass (Pennisetum purpureum Schumach.). (Master's Thesis)
- Xu, Yifeng (2017-08). Candidate Lignocellulosic Biorefinery Feedstocks for Biomass, Succinic Acid, and Biosilica. (Master's Thesis)
- Chavarria Sanchez, Manuel Roman (2017-08). Salinity Tolerance Mechanisms of Warm-Season Turfgrass Experimental Lines and Cultivars. (Doctoral Dissertation)