- Distinguished Professor, Biochemistry and Biophysics, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Distinguished Professor, Veterinary Physiology and Pharmacology, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
- Syd Kyle Chair, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
The aryl hydrocarbon receptor (AhR) is a nuclear helix-loop-helix transcription factor which forms a ligand-induced nuclear heterodimer with the AhR nuclear translocator (Arnt) protein. Research in this laboratory is focused on the molecular mechanism of crosstalk between the AhR and estrogen receptor (ER) signaling pathways in which the AhR inhibits estrogen-induced gene expression. The antiestrogenic activities of some AhR agonists are also being developed as drugs for clinical treatment of breast and endometrial cancers in women. Research on estrogen-dependent gene expression in various cancer cell lines is focused on analysis of several gene promoters to determine the mechanisms of ERa and ERb action. This includes several genes that are activated through interactions of the ER with Sp1 protein and other DNA-bound transcription factors.
- Karki, K., Wright, G. A., Mohankumar, K., Jin, U., Zhang, X., & Safe, S. (2020). A Bis-Indole-Derived NR4A1 Antagonist Induces PD-L1 Degradation and Enhances Anti-Tumor Immunity.. CANCER RESEARCH. canres.2314.2019-canres.2314.2019.
- Yoon, K., Chen, C., Orr, A. A., Barreto, P. N., Tamamis, P., & Safe, S. (2019). Activation of COUP-TFI by a Novel Diindolylmethane Derivative.. Cells. 8(3), 220-220.
- De Miranda, B. R., Miller, J. A., Hansen, R. J., Lunghofer, P. J., Safe, S., Gustafson, D. L., Colagiovanni, D., & Tjalkens, R. B. (2019). Correction to \"Neuroprotective Efficacy and Pharmacokinetic Behavior of Novel Anti-Inflammatory Para-Phenyl Substituted Diindolylmethanes in a Mouse Model of Parkinson's Disease\".. JOURNAL OF PHARMACOLOGY AND EXPERIMENTAL THERAPEUTICS. 369(1), 66-66.
- Hedrick, E., Mohankumar, K., Lacey, A., & Safe, S. (2019). Inhibition of NR4A1 Promotes Ros Accumulation and IL24-Dependent Growth Arrest in Rhabdomyosarcoma.. Molecular cancer research : MCR.
- Park, H., Jin, U., Orr, A. A., Echegaray, S. P., Davidson, L. A., Allred, C. D., ... Safe, S. (2019). Isoflavones as Ah Receptor Agonists in Colon-Derived Cell Lines: Structure-Activity Relationships. Chemical Research in Toxicology. 32(11), 2353-2364.
- Safe, S., Jin, U. H., & Li, X. (2018). Chemical-Induced Estrogenicity. Veterinary Toxicology: Basic and Clinical Principles: Third Edition. (pp. 805-816).
- Safe, S., Lee, S. O., Meng, C., & Zhou, B. (2015). Nr4a orphan receptors as drug targets. Targeted Therapy of Acute Myeloid Leukemi. (pp. 509-528).
- Safe, S. (2013). RNA Interference. Brenner's Encyclopedia of Genetics: Second Edition. (pp. 288-289).
- Safe, S. H., Khan, S., Wu, F., Li, X., & Sreevalsan, S. (2012). Chemical-induced estrogenicity. Veterinary Toxicology. (pp. 999-1011). Elsevier.
- Safe, S., Chadalapaka, G., & Jutooru, I. (2011). AHR-Active Compounds in the Human Diet. The AH Receptor in Biology and Toxicology. (pp. 331-342).
- Singh, M., Patel, A., Lim, E., Zhang, N., Francis, K., Singh, R., & Safe, S. (2012). Nanotechnology systems for drug delivery, multi-modal targeting and imaging of tumors. 346-349.
- Safe, S. (2004). Endocrine disruptors and human health: is there a problem. TOXICOLOGY. 205(1-2), 3-10.
- Gaido, K., You, L., & Safe, S. (2003). Modification of endocrine active potential by mixtures. Pure and Applied Chemistry. 75(11-12), 2069-2079.
- Safe, S. (2001). Molecular biology of the Ah receptor and its role in carcinogenesis. TOXICOLOGY LETTERS. 120(1-3), 1-7.
- Safe, S., Wargovich, M. J., Lamartiniere, C. A., & Mukhtar, H. (1999). Symposium on mechanisms of action of naturally occurring anticarcinogens. Toxicol Sci. 52(1), 1-8.
- Lacey, Alexandra Dianne (2017-08). NR4A1 Antagonists Target the Oncogenic PAX3-FOXO1A Gene and Induce Interleukin -24 in Rhabdomyosarcoma (RMS). (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Hedrick, Erik Duane (2016-12). Diindolylmethane Analogs as Novel NR4A1 Antagonists and as a Novel Class of Anticancer Agents and Sp Transcription Factors as Nononcogene Addiction Genes That Are Targets of ROS Inducing Agents. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Cheng, Yating (2016-12). The Role of Long Noncoding RNAs in Cancer and Microbiota-derived Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor Ligands. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Nemec, Matthew James (2016-08). Polyphenolics from Mango (Mangifera Indica L.) Suppress Breast Cancer Ductal Carcinoma In Situ Proliferation Both In Vitro And In Vivo: Potential Role of the IGFR-1-AKT-AMPK-mTOR-Signaling Axis. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Hou, Tim Yu-Tien (2014-12). n-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids Alter Mouse CD4+ T Cell Activation by Modifying the Lipid Bilayer Properties. (Doctoral Dissertation)