Dr. Hale interprets and extends information on diet/health, food safety, livestock growth and meat science to consumers, youth, health professionals, retailers, food service managers, packers, processors and livestock producers. He also performs industry applied meat science research, and he is a member of the faculty of food science and technology. Hale has worked with the National Consumer Retail Beef Study, the National Market Basket Survey and the Beef Tenderness Survey, which examined supplies of beef offered at the retail meat case and determined what consumers want in meat products. He also contributes information to many national consumer magazines. Hale is a member of the Texas FoodSafe team, an interdisciplinary group of Extension specialists who examine human food safety issues and agricultural practices. He also works in the area of beef quality assurance, coordinating a web-cd interactive training program.
- Ph.D. in Food, Nutrition and Institutional Sciences, Oklahoma State University - (Stillwater, Oklahoma, United States)
- M.S. in , Kansas State University - (Manhattan, Kansas, United States)
- B.S. in , Kansas State University - (Manhattan, Kansas, United States)
- Olson, C. A., Carstens, G. E., Herring, A. D., Hale, D. S., Kayser, W. C., & Miller, R. K. (2019). Effects of temperament at feedlot arrival and breed type on growth efficiency, feeding behavior, and carcass value in finishing heifers.. J Anim Sci. 97(4), 1828-1839.
- Boykin, C. A., Eastwood, L. C., Harris, M. K., Hale, D. S., Kerth, C. R., Griffin, D. B., ... Savell, J. W (2017). National Beef Quality Audit – 2016: Survey of carcass characteristics through instrument grading assessments. Journal of Animal Science. 95(7), 3003-3003.
- Boykin, C. A., Eastwood, L. C., Harris, M. K., Hale, D. S., Kerth, C. R., Griffin, D. B., ... Savell, J. W (2017). National Beef Quality Audit–2016: In-plant survey of carcass characteristics related to quality, quantity, and value of fed steers and heifers. Journal of Animal Science. 95(7), 2993-2993.
- Schwartzkopf-Genswein, K., Ahola, J., Edwards-Callaway, L., Hale, D., & Paterson, J (2016). S ymposium P aper : Transportation issues affecting cattle well-being and considerations for the future 1 1Presented at the Cattle Transportation Symposium sponsored by the Beef Checkoff Program, National Cattlemen’s Beef Association, and Colorado State University, Ft. Collins, Colorado, May 2015.. The Professional Animal Scientist. 32(6), 707-716.
- Davis, K. M., Smith, T., Bolt, B., Meadows, S., Powell, J. G., Vann, R. C., ... Riley, D. G (2015). Technical note: Digital quantification of eye pigmentation of cattle with white faces. Journal of Animal Science. 93(7), 3654-3660.
- Dean, D. T., Herring, A. D., Sawyer, J. E., & Hale, D. S Use of ultrasound in combination with calf background information to predict beef carcass traits.. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 84, 39-39.
- Online Texas Sheep and Goat Expo a success AgriLife Today August 18, 2020
- Three-night Aggie Beef 706 goes virtual AgriLife Today July 21, 2020
- Live demonstrations highlight Texas A&M beef short course AgriLife Today July 3, 2020
- Texas cotton farmers adjusting in wake of dicamba ruling AgriLife Today June 11, 2020
- Trostle named statewide AgriLife Extension hemp specialist North Texas E-News April 20, 2020
- Olson, Cameron Alexander (2017-08). The Effect of Temperament at Feedlot Arrival on Growth Efficiency, Feeding Behavior, and Carcass Value in Beef Heifers. (Master's Thesis)
- Siller, Amy Elizabeth (2017-08). Initial Assessment of Calf Performance and Cow Reproductive Traits in a Dominican Republic Beef Herd. (Master's Thesis)