Dr. Hale interprets and extends information on diet/health, food safety, livestock growth and meat science to consumers, youth, health professionals, retailers, food service managers, packers, processors and livestock producers. He also performs industry applied meat science research, and he is a member of the faculty of food science and technology. Hale has worked with the National Consumer Retail Beef Study, the National Market Basket Survey and the Beef Tenderness Survey, which examined supplies of beef offered at the retail meat case and determined what consumers want in meat products. He also contributes information to many national consumer magazines. Hale is a member of the Texas FoodSafe team, an interdisciplinary group of Extension specialists who examine human food safety issues and agricultural practices. He also works in the area of beef quality assurance, coordinating a web-cd interactive training program.
- Ph.D. in Food, Nutrition and Institutional Sciences, Oklahoma State University - (Stillwater, Oklahoma, United States)
- M.S. in , Kansas State University - (Manhattan, Kansas, United States)
- B.S. in , Kansas State University - (Manhattan, Kansas, United States)
- Olson, C. A., Carstens, G. E., Herring, A. D., Hale, D. S., Kayser, W. C., & Miller, R. K. (2019). Effects of temperament at feedlot arrival and breed type on growth efficiency, feeding behavior, and carcass value in finishing heifers. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 97(4), 1828-1839.
- Harris, M. K., Eastwood, L. C., Boykin, C. A., Arnold, A. N., Gehring, K. B., Hale, D. S., ... Stelzleni, A. M. (2018). National Beef Quality Audit-2016: Assessment of cattle hide characteristics, offal condemnations, and carcass traits to determine the quality status of the market cow and bull beef industry. Translational Animal Science. 2(1), 37-49.
- Hasty, J. D., Pfeifer, M. M., Eastwood, L. C., Gredell, D. A., Gifford, C. L., Levey, J. R., ... Belk, K. E. (2017). National Beef Quality Audit-2016: Phase 1, Face-to-face interviews. Translational Animal Science. 1(3), 320-332.
- Eastwood, L. C., Boykin, C. A., Harris, M. K., Arnold, A. N., Hale, D. S., Kerth, C. R., ... Stelzleni, A. M. (2017). National Beef Quality Audit-2016: Transportation, mobility, and harvest-floor assessments of targeted characteristics that affect quality and value of cattle, carcasses, and by-products. Translational Animal Science. 1(2), 229-238.
- Harris, M. K., Eastwood, L. C., Boykin, C. A., Arnold, A. N., Gehring, K. B., Hale, D. S., ... Stelzleni, A. M. (2017). National Beef Quality Audit-2016: Transportation, mobility, live cattle, and carcass assessments of targeted producer-related characteristics that affect value of market cows and bulls, their carcasses, and associated by-products. Translational Animal Science. 1(4), 570-584.
- Olson, Cameron Alexander (2017-08). The Effect of Temperament at Feedlot Arrival on Growth Efficiency, Feeding Behavior, and Carcass Value in Beef Heifers. (Master's Thesis)
- Siller, Amy Elizabeth (2017-08). Initial Assessment of Calf Performance and Cow Reproductive Traits in a Dominican Republic Beef Herd. (Master's Thesis)