My expertise includes human development, particularly emotion, motivation, and self-regulation in educational and learning, psychosocial, and health-related outcomes from the preschool years to the high school and college years. My research has addressed issues such as school readiness, achievement gaps, mental health disparities, and childhood obesity.
- Zhou, Z., Liew, J., Yeh, Y., & Perez, M. (2020). Appetitive Traits and Weight in Children: Evidence for Parents’ Controlling Feeding Practices as Mediating Mechanisms. The Journal of Genetic Psychology. 181(1), 1-13.
- Liew, J., Erbeli, F., Nyanamba, J. M., & Li, D. (2020). Pathways to Reading Competence: Emotional Self-regulation, Literacy Contexts, and Embodied Learning Processes. Reading Psychology. 1-27.
- Ohrt, T. K., Perez, M., Liew, J., Hernández, J. C., & Yu, K. Y. (2020). The influence of temperament on stress‐induced emotional eating in children. Obesity Science & Practice.
- Eisenberg, N., Spinrad, T. L., Taylor, Z. E., & Liew, J. (2019). Relations of Inhibition and Emotion‐Related Parenting to Young Children's Prosocial and Vicariously Induced Distress Behavior. CHILD DEVELOPMENT. 90(3), 846-858.
- Cankaya, E. M., Liew, J., & de Freitas, C. (2018). Curiosity and autonomy as factors that promote personal growth in the cross-cultural transition process of international students. Journal of International Students. 8(4), 1694-1708.
- Liew, J., & McTigue, E. M. (2010). Educating the whole child: The role of social and emotional development in achievement and school success. Handbook of Curriculum Development. (pp. 463-476).
- Eisenberg, N., Zhou, Q., Liew, J., Champion, C., & Pidada, S. U. (2006). Emotion, Emotion-Related Regulation, and Social Functioning. Peer Relationships in Cultural Context. (pp. 170-198). Cambridge University Press.
- Gandara, Brenda Liliana (2017-12). Self-Compassion, Emotional Empathy, and Cognitive Empathy Among Novice Therapists. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Cankaya, Elif Merve (2016-08). The Role of Hope and Optimism on Graduate Students' Academic Performance, Physical Health and Well-Being. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Wehrly, Sarah Elizabeth (2015-08). The Effect of Changes in Teacher-student Relationship Quality on Students’ Trajectories for Internalizing Behaviors. (Doctoral Dissertation)