My expertise includes learning and developmental science and human development, particularly emotion, motivation, self-regulation, and resilience from early childhood into adulthood. I also have a documented record of published research on empathy, prosocial behaviors, social and ethical dilemmas, and moral development.
- Weimer, A. A., Warnell, K. R., Ettekal, I., Cartwright, K. B., Guajardo, N. R., & Liew, J. (2021). Correlates and antecedents of theory of mind development during middle childhood and adolescence: An integrated model. Developmental Review. 59, 100945-100945.
- Shi, Q., Liew, J., Ettekal, I., & Woltering, S. (2021). Childhood resilient personality trajectories and associations with developmental trajectories of behavioral, social-emotional, and academic outcomes across childhood and adolescence: A longitudinal study across 12 years. Personality and Individual Differences. 177, 110789-110789.
- Hill, D. J., Li, D., Wang, J., & Liew, J. (2021). Cultural Values, Intergenerational Transmission of Internalized Racism, Education, and Career Goals in Chinese American Families. Journal of Career Development. 089484532110269-089484532110269.
- Gagne, J. R., Liew, J., & Nwadinobi, O. K. (2021). “How does the broader construct of self-regulation relate to emotion regulation in young children?”. Developmental Review. 60, 100965-100965.
- Gonzalez, J. E., Liew, J., Zou, Y., Curtis, G., & Li, D. (2021). “They’re Going to Forget About Their Mother Tongue”: Influence of Chinese Beliefs in Child Home Language and Literacy Development. Early Childhood Education Journal.
- Liew, J., Cao, Q., Hughes, J. N., & Deutz, M. (2020). Academic Resilience Despite Early Academic Adversity: A Three-Wave Longitudinal Study on Regulation-Related Resiliency, Interpersonal Relationships, and Achievement in First to Third Grade. Moving Forward in the Study of Temperament and Early Education Outcomes. (pp. 144-161). Routledge.
- Liew, J., Valiente, C., Hernández, M. M., & Abera, D. (2019). Emotional Self-regulation and Reactivity, School-based Relationships, and School Engagement and Achievement. The SAGE Handbook of Developmental Psychology and Early Childhood Education. (pp. 42-62). SAGE Publications Ltd.
- Raymond, D., Liew, J., & Hammond, T. A. (2015). A Vision for Education: Transforming How Formal Systems are Taught Within Mass Lectures by Using Pen Technology to Create a Personalized Learning Environment. 10th Conference on Pen and Touch Technology in Education. CPTTE 2016. Hammond, T., Valentine, S., Adler, A., & Payton, M. (Eds.), The Impact of Pen and Touch Technology on Education. (pp. 355-363). Springer International Publishing.
- Liew, J., & McTigue, E. M. (2010). Educating the whole child: The role of social and emotional development in achievement and school success. Handbook of Curriculum Development. (pp. 463-476).
- Eisenberg, N., Zhou, Q., Liew, J., Champion, C., & Pidada, S. U. (2006). Emotion, Emotion-Related Regulation, and Social Functioning. Peer Relationships in Cultural Context. (pp. 170-198). Cambridge University Press.
- Purta, R., Hachen, D., Liew, J., & Striegel, A. (2015). Toward a System for Longitudinal Emotion Sensing. 2015 IEEE 12TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON MOBILE AD HOC AND SENSOR SYSTEMS (MASS). 651-656.
- Gandara, Brenda Liliana (2017-12). Self-Compassion, Emotional Empathy, and Cognitive Empathy Among Novice Therapists. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Cankaya, Elif Merve (2016-08). The Role of Hope and Optimism on Graduate Students' Academic Performance, Physical Health and Well-Being. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Wehrly, Sarah Elizabeth (2015-08). The Effect of Changes in Teacher-student Relationship Quality on Students' Trajectories for Internalizing Behaviors. (Doctoral Dissertation)