My expertise includes human development, particularly emotion, motivation, and self-regulation in educational and learning, psychosocial, and health-related outcomes from the preschool years to the high school and college years. My research has addressed issues such as school readiness, achievement gaps, mental health disparities, and childhood obesity.
- Lin, B., Liew, J., & Perez, M. (2019). Measurement of self-regulation in early childhood: Relations between laboratory and performance-based measures of effortful control and executive functioning. Early Childhood Research Quarterly. 47, 1-8.
- Eisenberg, N., Spinrad, T. L., Taylor, Z. E., & Liew, J. (2019). Relations of Inhibition and Emotion-Related Parenting to Young Children's Prosocial and Vicariously Induced Distress Behavior.. CHILD DEVELOPMENT. 90(3), 846-858.
- Zhou, Z., SooHoo, M., Zhou, Q., Perez, M., & Liew, J. (2019). Temperament as Risk and Protective Factors in Obesogenic Eating: Relations Among Parent Temperament, Child Temperament, and Child Food Preference and Eating. JOURNAL OF GENETIC PSYCHOLOGY. 180(1), 75-79.
- Liew, J., Cao, Q., Hughes, J. N., & Deutz, M. (2018). Academic Resilience Despite Early Academic Adversity: A Three-Wave Longitudinal Study on Regulation-Related Resiliency, Interpersonal Relationships, and Achievement in First to Third Grade. EARLY EDUCATION AND DEVELOPMENT. 29(5), 762-779.
- Cankaya, E. M., Liew, J., & de Freitas, C. (2018). Curiosity and autonomy as factors that promote personal growth in the cross-cultural transition process of international students. Journal of International Students. 8(4), 1694-1708.
- Eisenberg, N. N., Hofer, C., Spinrad, T. L., Gershoff, E. T., Valiente, C., Losoya, S., ... Maxon, E. (2008). Understanding Mother-Adolescent Conflict Discussions: Concurrent and Across-time Prediction from Youths' Dispositions on Parenting. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Liew, J., & McTigue, E. M. (2010). Educating the whole child: The role of social and emotional development in achievement and school success. Handbook of Curriculum Development. (pp. 463-476).
- Eisenberg, N., Zhou, Q., Liew, J., Champion, C., & Pidada, S. U. (2006). Emotion, Emotion-Related Regulation, and Social Functioning. Peer Relationships in Cultural Context. (pp. 170-198). Cambridge University Press.
- Gandara, Brenda Liliana (2017-12). Self-Compassion, Emotional Empathy, and Cognitive Empathy Among Novice Therapists. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Cankaya, Elif Merve (2016-08). The Role of Hope and Optimism on Graduate Students' Academic Performance, Physical Health and Well-Being. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Wehrly, Sarah Elizabeth (2015-08). The Effect of Changes in Teacher-student Relationship Quality on Students’ Trajectories for Internalizing Behaviors. (Doctoral Dissertation)