The main focus of our lab is to address fundamental questions relevant to evolution, genetics, and conservation of both domesticated and wild bird species. Research projects in our lab utilize field and experimental studies coupled with genomic and computational tools to illuminate the genetic basis of quantitative traits, functional aspects of communicable and vector-borne diseases, innate immunity and population genetics of avian and non-avian taxa. The broader implications of our research include the generation of knowledge and innovative tools for improving animal, human and environmental health.
- Al-Ajeeli, M. N., Hubert, S. M., Leyva-Jimenez, H., Hashim, M. M., Abdaljaleel, R. A., Alsadwi, A. M., Athrey, G., & Bailey, C. A. (2020). Impacts of Dietary Protein and Prebiotic Inclusion on Liver and Spleen Gene Expression in Hy-Line Brown Caged Layers.. ANIMALS. 10(3), 453-453.
- Hieke, A., Hubert, S. M., & Athrey, G. (2019). Circadian disruption and divergent microbiota acquisition under extended photoperiod regimens in chicken.. PeerJ. 7(3), e6592-e6592.
- Klerks, P. L., Athrey, G. N., & Leberg, P. L. (2019). Response to Selection for Increased Heat Tolerance in a Small Fish Species, With the Response Decreased by a Population Bottleneck. FRONTIERS IN ECOLOGY AND EVOLUTION. 7,
- Hubert, S. M., Al-Ajeeli, M., Bailey, C. A., & Athrey, G. (2019). The Role of Housing Environment and Dietary Protein Source on the Gut Microbiota of Chicken. ANIMALS. 9(12), 1085-1085.
- Athrey, G., Faust, N., Charlotte Hieke, A. S., & Brisbin, I. L. (2018). Effective population sizes and adaptive genetic variation in a captive bird population. PeerJ. 2018(10), e5803-e5803.
- Leberg, P. L., Athrey, G., Barr, K. R., Lindsay, D. L., & Lance, R. F. (2010). Implications of landscape alteration for the conservation of genetic diversity of endangered species. Molecular Approaches in Natural Resource Conservation and Management. (pp. 212-238). Cambridge University Press.
- Athrey, G., Badamchi-Zadeh, A., Lindsey, M., II, B. L., Castro, J., Reddy, V. P., & Slotman, M. A. (2010). THE MOLECULAR EVOLUTION OF OLFACTION GENES IN THE ANOPHELES GAMBIAE COMPLEX. The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. 83(5), 230-230.