My lab has had a number of research projects focusing on the study of lymphatic structure and function. Each of these projects has, as one of their objectives, the evaluation of the mechanisms (molecular, cellular, mechanical and tissue-level) regulating different aspects of lymphatic function. These projects focus on the ionic/calcium, contractile/regulatory proteins, molecular pathways that regulate lymph transport, lymphatic muscle function, the role of lymphatic function in the generation and resolution of tissue inflammation and the interactions between immune cells and the lymphatic cells. To support this work we have established cultured cell lines of both endothelial and muscle isolated from microlymphatics, acute and cultured isolated microlymphatic tissues, methodologies to evaluate lymphatic function at the single vessel, whole tissue and animal levels, methodologies to target cell-specific gene manipulation in isolated lymphatic tissues, approaches to microscopically image and model lymphatic network structure and function in 3D in lab animals. We have also evaluated the effects of space flight, various inflammatory mediators and other immune activation processes on lymphatic contractile and transport function and how these affect immunity. Finally, we have evaluated different types of lymphatic pathology resulting in lymphedema, various inflammatory diseases and immune dysfunction.
- Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1988
- Ph.D. in Physiology, Medical College of Wisconsin - (Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States) 1986
- B.S. in Biology, Chemistry and Population Dynamics, ENVI - (Třeboň, Czechia) 1978
- Selahi, A., Fernando, T., Chakraborty, S., Muthuchamy, M., Zawieja, D. C., & Jain, A. (2022). Lymphangion-chip: a microphysiological system which supports co-culture and bidirectional signaling of lymphatic endothelial and muscle cells. Lab on a Chip. 22(1), 121-135.
- Morris, C. J., Zawieja, D. C., & Moore, J. E. (2021). A multiscale sliding filament model of lymphatic muscle pumping. Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology. 20(6), 2179-2202.
- Horvat, D., Afroze, S. H., Cromer, W. E., Pantho, A. F., Ashraf, A., Kuehl, T. J., Zawieja, D. C., & Uddin, M. N. (2021). Cartiotonic steroids affect monolayer permeability in lymphatic endothelial cells.. Mol Cell Biochem. 476(8), 3207-3213.
- Kwok, A. T., Mohamed, N. S., Plate, J. F., Yammani, R. R., Rosas, S., Bateman, T. A., ... Willey, J. S. (2021). Spaceflight and hind limb unloading induces an arthritic phenotype in knee articular cartilage and menisci of rodents.. Sci Rep. 11(1), 10469.
- Baranwal, G., Creed, H. A., Cromer, W. E., Wang, W., Upchurch, B. D., Smithhart, M. C., ... Rutkowski, J. M. (2021). Dichotomous effects on lymphatic transport with loss of caveolae in mice.. Acta Physiol (Oxf). 232(4), e13656.
- Pantho, A. F., Afroze, S. H., Larrick, J., Sharma, V., Yu, B. o., Wages, J., ... Uddin, M. N. (2020). ANTI-MARINOBUFAGENIN ANTIBODY ATTENUATES THE PREECLAMPSIA SYNDROME IN DOCA MODEL OF PREECLAMPSIA. JOURNAL OF INVESTIGATIVE MEDICINE. 68(5), 1035-1036.
- Afroze, S. H., Pantho, A. F., Kuehl, T. J., Amaral, L., LaMarca, B., Zawieja, D. C., ... Uddin, M. N. (2020). B7-33 NORMALIZES BLOOD PRESSURE IN THE REDUCED UTERINE PERFUSION PRESSURE RAT MODEL OF PREECLAMPSIA. JOURNAL OF INVESTIGATIVE MEDICINE. 68(5), 1029-1030.
- Ashraf, A., Afroze, S. H., Pantho, A. F., Zawieja, D. C., Kuehl, T. J., Pudhom, K., & Uddin, M. N. (2020). KP-17 INHIBITS METASTATIC ACTIVITY IN MULTIPLE CANCER CELLS. JOURNAL OF INVESTIGATIVE MEDICINE. 68(5), 1090-1091.
- Gashev, A. A., Gasheva, O. Y., Zawieja, D. C., Meininger, C. J., & Pal, S. (2020). Histamine‐mediated regulatory loop in mesenteric perilymphatic mast cells. The FASEB Journal. 34(S1), 1-1.
- Gasheva, O. Y., O’Brien, A., White, T. K., Alpini, G. D., Zawieja, D. C., Glaser, S., & Gashev, A. A. (2020). Progressive Collecting Liver Lymphatic Vessels Dysfunction over the Course of Extrahepatic Cholestasis. The FASEB Journal. 34(S1), 1-1.
- Lymphatic Forum 2019 awarded by DHHS-NIH-National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute 2019 - 2020
- Effects of microgravity on lymphatic structure and function awarded by NASA-Washington 2015 - 2017
- Transport Phenomena in the Lymphatic System awarded by DHHS-NIH-National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute 2014 - 2020