My lab has had a number of research projects focusing on the study of lymphatic structure and function. Each of these projects has, as one of their objectives, the evaluation of the mechanisms (molecular, cellular, mechanical and tissue-level) regulating different aspects of lymphatic function. These projects focus on the ionic/calcium, contractile/regulatory proteins, molecular pathways that regulate lymph transport, lymphatic muscle function, the role of lymphatic function in the generation and resolution of tissue inflammation and the interactions between immune cells and the lymphatic cells. To support this work we have established cultured cell lines of both endothelial and muscle isolated from microlymphatics, acute and cultured isolated microlymphatic tissues, methodologies to evaluate lymphatic function at the single vessel, whole tissue and animal levels, methodologies to target cell-specific gene manipulation in isolated lymphatic tissues, approaches to microscopically image and model lymphatic network structure and function in 3D in lab animals. We have also evaluated the effects of space flight, various inflammatory mediators and other immune activation processes on lymphatic contractile and transport function and how these affect immunity. Finally, we have evaluated different types of lymphatic pathology resulting in lymphedema, various inflammatory diseases and immune dysfunction.
- Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1988
- Ph.D. in Physiology, Medical College of Wisconsin - (Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States) 1986
- B.S. in Biology, Chemistry and Population Dynamics, ENVI - (Třeboň, Czechia) 1978
- Kwok, A., Rosas, S., Bateman, T. A., Livingston, E., Smith, T. L., Moore, J., ... Willey, J. S. (2020). Altered rodent gait characteristics after similar to 35 days in orbit aboard the International Space Station. LIFE SCIENCES IN SPACE RESEARCH. 24, 9-17.
- Pal, S., Gasheva, O. Y., Zawieja, D. C., Meininger, C. J., & Gashev, A. A. (2020). Histamine-mediated autocrine signaling in mesenteric perilymphatic mast cells. American Journal of Physiology - Regulatory Integrative and Comparative Physiology. 318(3), R590-R604.
- Metzger, C. E., Narayanan, S. A., Zawieja, D. C., & Bloomfield, S. A. (2019). A moderately elevated soy protein diet mitigates inflammatory changes in gut and in bone turnover during chronic TNBS-induced inflammatory bowel disease. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 44(6), 595-605.
- Mao, X. W., Nishiyama, N. C., Byrum, S. D., Stanbouly, S., Jones, T., Drew, A., ... Pecaut, M. J. (2019). Characterization of mouse ocular response to a 35-day spaceflight mission: Evidence of blood-retinal barrier disruption and ocular adaptations.. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. 9(1), 8215.
- Metzger, C. E., Narayanan, S. A., Elizondo, J. P., Carter, A. M., Zawieja, D. C., Hogan, H. A., & Bloomfield, S. A. (2019). DSS-induced colitis produces inflammation-induced bone loss while irisin treatment mitigates the inflammatory state in both gut and bone. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. 9(1), 15144.
- Afroze, S. H., Pantho, A. F., Zawieja, D. C., Bathgate, R., Kuehl, T. J., Hossain, M. A., & Uddin, M. N. (2019). NOVEL PEPTIDE B7-33 AND RELAXIN HORMONES PROTECT CYTOTROPHOBLASTS FROM PREECLAMPSIA PHENOTYPE. JOURNAL OF INVESTIGATIVE MEDICINE. 67(5), 863-863.
- Pal, S., Meininger, C. J., Gasheva, O., Griffith, W., Zawieja, D. C., & Gashev, A. A. (2018). Aging-associated alterations in lymphatic vessels and mast cells in perilymphatic tissues. JOURNAL OF IMMUNOLOGY. 200(1),
- Ashraf, A., Pantho, A. F., Afroze, S. H., Zawieja, D. C., Kuehl, T. J., & Uddin, M. N. (2018). COMPARISON OF 3,4 ',7-O-TRIMETHYLQUERCETIN INDUCED APOPTOTIC SIGNALING IN THREE OVARIAN CANCER CELL LINES. JOURNAL OF INVESTIGATIVE MEDICINE. 66(4), 847-848.
- Pantho, A. F., Afroze, S. H., Drever, N., Zawieja, D. C., Kuehl, T. J., & Uddin, M. N. (2018). ESTRADIOL IMPEDES FIRST TRIMESTER CYTOTROPHOBLASTS FUNCTION VIA ANTI-ANGIOGENIC AND APOPTOTIC SIGNALING. JOURNAL OF INVESTIGATIVE MEDICINE. 66(4), 823-823.
- Afroze, S. H., McDowell, A. B., Speights, V. O., McCormick, T. C., Kuehl, T. J., Zawieja, D. C., & Uddin, M. N. (2018). PRE-CLINICAL EVALUATION OF CINOBUFOTALIN AS A POTENTIAL ANTI-OVARIAN CANCER AGENT. JOURNAL OF INVESTIGATIVE MEDICINE. 66(4), 845-845.