My lab has had a number of research projects focusing on the study of lymphatic structure and function. Each of these projects has, as one of their objectives, the evaluation of the mechanisms (molecular, cellular, mechanical and tissue-level) regulating different aspects of lymphatic function. These projects focus on the ionic/calcium, contractile/regulatory proteins, molecular pathways that regulate lymph transport, lymphatic muscle function, the role of lymphatic function in the generation and resolution of tissue inflammation and the interactions between immune cells and the lymphatic cells. To support this work we have established cultured cell lines of both endothelial and muscle isolated from microlymphatics, acute and cultured isolated microlymphatic tissues, methodologies to evaluate lymphatic function at the single vessel, whole tissue and animal levels, methodologies to target cell-specific gene manipulation in isolated lymphatic tissues, approaches to microscopically image and model lymphatic network structure and function in 3D in lab animals. We have also evaluated the effects of space flight, various inflammatory mediators and other immune activation processes on lymphatic contractile and transport function and how these affect immunity. Finally, we have evaluated different types of lymphatic pathology resulting in lymphedema, various inflammatory diseases and immune dysfunction.
- Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1988
- Ph.D. in Physiology, Medical College of Wisconsin - (Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States) 1986
- B.S. in Biology, Chemistry and Population Dynamics, ENVI - (Třeboň, Czechia) 1978
- Johnson, S. C., Chakraborty, S., Drosou, A., Cunnea, P., Tzovaras, D., Nixon, K., ... Moore, J. E. (2020). Inflammatory state of lymphatic vessels and miRNA profiles associated with relapse in ovarian cancer patients. PLoS ONE. 15(7), e0230092-e0230092.
- Si, H., Wang, J., Meininger, C. J., Peng, X. u., Zawieja, D. C., & Zhang, S. L. (2020). Ca2+ release-activated Ca2+ channels are responsible for histamine-induced Ca2+ entry, permeability increase, and interleukin synthesis in lymphatic endothelial cells. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PHYSIOLOGY-HEART AND CIRCULATORY PHYSIOLOGY. 318(5), h1283-h1295.
- Baranwal, G. M., Upchurch, B. D., Cromer, W. E., Smithhart, M. C., Vadlamani, S. S., Clark, M., ... Rutkowski, J. M. (2020). Loss of Caveolin‐1 Increases Macromolecule Transport Across Lymphatic Endothelium. FASEB J. 34(S1), 1-1.
- Pal, S., Gasheva, O. Y., Zawieja, D. C., Meininger, C. J., & Gashev, A. A. (2020). Histamine-mediated autocrine signaling in mesenteric perilymphatic mast cells. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 318(3), r590-r604.
- Mao, X. W., Nishiyama, N. C., Byrum, S. D., Stanbouly, S., Jones, T., Drew, A., ... Pecaut, M. J. (2019). Characterization of mouse ocular response to a 35-day spaceflight mission: Evidence of blood-retinal barrier disruption and ocular adaptations. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. 9(1), 8215.
- Pantho, A. F., Afroze, S. H., Larrick, J., Sharma, V., Yu, B. o., Wages, J., ... Uddin, M. N. (2020). ANTI-MARINOBUFAGENIN ANTIBODY ATTENUATES THE PREECLAMPSIA SYNDROME IN DOCA MODEL OF PREECLAMPSIA. JOURNAL OF INVESTIGATIVE MEDICINE. 68(5), 1035-1036.
- Afroze, S. H., Pantho, A. F., Kuehl, T. J., Amaral, L., LaMarca, B., Zawieja, D. C., ... Uddin, M. N. (2020). B7-33 NORMALIZES BLOOD PRESSURE IN THE REDUCED UTERINE PERFUSION PRESSURE RAT MODEL OF PREECLAMPSIA. JOURNAL OF INVESTIGATIVE MEDICINE. 68(5), 1029-1030.
- Ashraf, A., Afroze, S. H., Pantho, A. F., Zawieja, D. C., Kuehl, T. J., Pudhom, K., & Uddin, M. N. (2020). KP-17 INHIBITS METASTATIC ACTIVITY IN MULTIPLE CANCER CELLS. JOURNAL OF INVESTIGATIVE MEDICINE. 68(5), 1090-1091.
- Gashev, A. A., Gasheva, O. Y., Zawieja, D. C., Meininger, C. J., & Pal, S. (2020). Histamine‐mediated regulatory loop in mesenteric perilymphatic mast cells. FASEB J. 34(S1), 1-1.
- Gasheva, O. Y., O’Brien, A., White, T. K., Alpini, G. D., Zawieja, D. C., Glaser, S., & Gashev, A. A. (2020). Progressive Collecting Liver Lymphatic Vessels Dysfunction over the Course of Extrahepatic Cholestasis. FASEB J. 34(S1), 1-1.
- Lymphatic Forum 2019 awarded by DHHS-NIH-National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute 2019 - 2020
- Effects of microgravity on lymphatic structure and function awarded by NASA-Washington 2015 - 2017
- Transport Phenomena in the Lymphatic System awarded by DHHS-NIH-National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute 2014 - 2020