My research questions relate to news media and politics, political communication, and the impact of changing communication technologies on media effects, public opinion, and political behavior. Most of my work has implications for civic literacy, engagement, and democratic deliberation. Broadly, I focus on questions such as: What makes news more or less informative? How are changes to the contemporary communication landscape influencing elite and mass linkages and political polarization? What are the effects of mobile communication on citizen news engagement and civic literacy? What are the causes and consequences of news bias toward women and racial and ethnic groups?
- Ph.D. in Political Science, Rice University - (Houston, Texas, United States) 2006
- M.A. in Political Science, Rice University - (Houston, Texas, United States) 2004
- M.A. in Political Science, University of North Texas - (Denton, Texas, United States) 2002
- B.A. in Political Science, University of North Texas - (Denton, Texas, United States) 1999
- Dunaway, J. (2018). Doris A. Graber's Contributions to Political Communication. POLITICAL COMMUNICATION. 35(3), 506-507.
- Arceneaux, K., Dunaway, J., & Soroka, S. (2018). Elites are people, too: The effects of threat sensitivity on policymakers' spending priorities. PLoS ONE. 13(4), e0193781-e0193781.
- Dunaway, J., Searles, K., Sui, M., & Paul, N. (2018). News Attention in a Mobile Era. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication. 23(2), 107-124.
- Darr, J. P., Hitt, M. P., & Dunaway, J. L. (2018). Newspaper Closures Polarize Voting Behavior. Journal of Communication. 68(6), 1007-1028.
- Darr, J. P., & Dunaway, J. L. (2018). Resurgent Mass Partisanship Revisited: The Role of Media Choice in Clarifying Elite Ideology. American Politics Quarterly. 46(6), 943-970.
- Dunaway, J. L., Searles, K., Fowler, E. F., & Ridout, T. N. (2018). Political Advertising. Napoli, P. M. (Eds.), Mediated Communication. Walter de Gruyter.
- Dunaway, J., Searles, K., Sui, M., & Paul, N. (2018). The Move to Mobile. Ridout, T. N. (Eds.), New Directions in Media and Politics, 2nd Ed. (pp. 143-157). Routledge.