My major research goals are to understand the molecular pathophysiology and develop novel therapeutic strategies for epilepsy, with an emphasis on neurosteroids and GABA inhibition in the brain. Neurosteroids are steroids synthesized locally within the brain that rapidly change neural excitability by non-genomic mechanisms, principally via postsynaptic GABAA receptors that play critical role in epilepsy. Current work in his lab is focused on uncovering molecular mechanisms of neurosteroids in epilepsy and brain disorders, and testing the efficacy of mechanism-based, rationale therapeutic strategies for epilepsy and epileptogenesis. Reddy lab is utilizing multidisciplinary approaches such as pharmacological, molecular, electrophysiological (patch-clamp), mass spectrometry, and transgenic mouse models in research projects.
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke - (Bethesda, Maryland, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2001
- Ph.D. in Pharmacology, Panjab University - (Chandigarh, Chandigarh, India) 1998
- Pharm.M. in Pharmaceutical Sciences, Panjab University - (Chandigarh, Chandigarh, India) 1994
- B.Pharm. in Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kakatiya University - (Warangal, India) 1992
- Chuang, S., & Reddy, D. S. (2020). Isobolographic Analysis of Antiseizure Activity of the GABA-A Receptor-Modulating Synthetic Neurosteroids Brexanolone and Ganaxolone with Tiagabine and Midazolam. JOURNAL OF PHARMACOLOGY AND EXPERIMENTAL THERAPEUTICS. 372(3), jpet.119.261735-298.
- Reddy, S. D., Wu, X., Kuruba, R., Sridhar, V., & Reddy, D. S. (2020). Magnetic resonance imaging analysis of long-term neuropathology after exposure to the nerve agent soman: correlation with histopathology and neurological dysfunction.. TRENDS IN COMPARATIVE ENDOCRINOLOGY AND NEUROBIOLOGY.
- Reddy, D. S., Perumal, D., Golub, V., Habib, A., Kuruba, R., & Wu, X. (2020). Phenobarbital as alternate anticonvulsant for organophosphate‐induced benzodiazepine‐refractory status epilepticus and neuronal injury. Epilepsia Open. 5(2), 198-212.
- Reddy, D. S. (2019). An enigmatic role of tonic inhibition in gabapentin therapy. EBioMedicine. 42, 14-15.
- Reddy, D. S., Carver, C. M., Clossen, B., & Wu, X. (2019). Extrasynaptic γ‐aminobutyric acid type A receptor–mediated sex differences in the antiseizure activity of neurosteroids in status epilepticus and complex partial seizures. Epilepsia. 60(4), 730-743.
- Reddy, D. S. (2017). Perimenstrual Seizures and Neurosteroid Withdrawal. Models of Seizures and Epilepsy: Second Edition. (pp. 933-940). Elsevier.
- Sohrabji, F., Jane Welsh, C., & Reddy, D. S. (2015). Sex Differences in Neurological Diseases. Sex Differences in the Central Nervous System. (pp. 297-323). Elsevier.
- Reddy, D. S. (2013). Neurosteroid Influences on Neuronal Excitability. Epilepsy in Women. (pp. 23-40). John Wiley & Sons.
- Reddy, D. S., & Rogawski, M. A. (2010). Neurosteroid replacement therapy for catamenial epilepsy. Epilepsy: Mechanisms, Models, and Translational Perspectives. (pp. 501-513). CRC Press.
- Adithan, C., & Reddy, D. S. (2009). Funding opportunities in biomedical sciences and preparing a successful grant application. Biomedical Research: From Ideation to Publication.
- Wu, X., Muthuchamy, M., & Reddy, D. S. (2012). Atomic force microscopy study of ECM-integrin modulation of neuroplasticity in the hippocampal dentate granule cells in epilepsy. The FASEB Journal. 26,
- Carver, C., Wu, X., Murchison, D., Griffith, W., & Reddy, D. S. (2012). Ovarian cycle-related effects of neurosteroids on GABA-A receptor-mediated phasic and tonic currents in the hippocampus. The FASEB Journal. 26,
- Saraf, M., Briyal, S., & Reddy, D. S. (2009). ANTIEPILEPTOGENIC ACTIVITY OF PROGESTERONE IN WILD-TYPE AND PROGESTERONE RECEPTOR KNOCKOUT MICE. Epilepsia. 50, 126-126.
- Reddy, D. S. (2009). GENDER DIFFERENCES IN ANTISEIZURE SENSITIVITY OF NEUROSTEROIDS IN THE PILOCARPINE MODEL OF STATUS EPILEPTICUS. Epilepsia. 50, 126-126.
- Reddy, D. S., & Rogawski, M. A. (2009). Protective Efficacy and Potency of Neuroactive Steroids and Benzodiazepines in the Amygdala Kindling Model of Epilepsy. The FASEB Journal. 23,
- Editor of Epilepsy Currents conferred by American Epilepsy Society - (Chicago, Illinois, United States) - This is ongoing. 2014
- Faculty Research Award conferred by Sigma Xi - (Durham, North Carolina, United States) 2006
- Jones, Daniel K (2016-05). Neuroprotection Therapy for Traumatic Brain Injury. (Master's Thesis)
- Carver, Chase M (2015-05). Role of Delta Subunit-Containing GABAA Receptors in Hippocampus Tonic Inhibition and Epileptogenesis within Transgenic Mouse Models. (Doctoral Dissertation)