My areas of energy expertise are broad and I am open to pursuing research in new energy areas.
education and training
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University - (West Lafayette, Indiana, United States) 1982
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Arkansas at Little Rock - (Little Rock, Arkansas, United States) 1978
- B.S. in Naval Engineering, United States Naval Academy - (Annapolis, Maryland, United States) 1970
- Claridge, D. E., Culp, C., Liu, W., Pate, M., Haberl, J., Bynum, J., Tanskyi, O., & Schaff, F. (2019). A new approach for drying moist air: The ideal Claridge-Culp-Liu dehumidification process with membrane separation, vacuum compression and sub-atmospheric condensation. International Journal of Refrigeration. 101, 211-217.
- Yin, P., & Pate, M. B. (2019). An energy and life-cycle cost comparison of residential PSC and ECM blower systems operating at excess pressures due to restrictive ducts. Journal of Building Engineering. 22, 305-313.
- Yin, P., Pate, M., & Battaglia, F. (2019). In-field performance evaluation and economic analysis of residential ground source heat pumps in heating operation. Journal of Building Engineering. 26, 100932-100932.
- Choi, W., Pate, M. B., Warren, R. D., & Nelson, R. M. (2018). An economic analysis comparison of stationary and dual-axis tracking grid-connected photovoltaic systems in the US Upper Midwest. International Journal of Sustainable Energy. 37(5), 455-478.
- Choi, W., Pate, M. B., & Sweeney, J. F. (2018). Uncertainty and signal-to-noise ratio for unsteady background noise. Noise Control Engineering Journal. 66(2), 131-141.
- Yin, P., Pate, M. B., Sweeney, J. F., & ASHRAE, .. (2016). A Method of Efficacy Estimation for ECM Blowers in Residential Gas Furnaces by Using Blower Rotational Speed. 2016 ASHRAE ANNUAL CONFERENCE PAPERS.
- Sweeney, J. F., & Pate, M. (2015). Life cycle costs and field performance studies of a domestic rainwater harvesting application in a humid, sub-tropical, metropolitan environment. 334-343.
- Yin, P., Sweeney, J. F., & Pate, M. B. (2014). Impact of external static pressure on residential heating and cooling energy use in hot climates. 410-416.
- Yin, P., Sweeney, J. F., & Pate, M. B. (2014). Residential bathroom exhaust fan energy performance evaluations conducted in a well-instrumented laboratory environment. 508-515.
- Yin, P., Sweeney, J. F., Pate, M. B., & ASHRAE, .. (2014). The Impact of an ECM Blower on the System Performance of a 5-ton Air Conditioner. ASHRAE TRANSACTIONS 1995, VOL 101, PT 2. 120,
awards and honors
chaired theses and dissertations
- Collins, Ryan Steven (2016-12). Range Hood Capture Efficiency Design Modeling. (Master's Thesis)
- Sakurai, Yasuko (2016-12). Energy Consumption and Financial Impact from Capital Projects at Utilities & Energy Services, Texas A&M University. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Young, James Tirtowijoyo (2016-08). A Compressed Air System Model for Analysis and Design. (Master's Thesis)
- Assuncao, Felipe Leite (2016-08). A Numerical Performance Analysis of Heat Recovery Ventilators with Staggered-Baffle Channels. (Master's Thesis)
- Sweeney, James F (2015-12). The Evaluation of the Sustainability of a Modern Residential Dwelling in a Humid Subtropical Environment. (Doctoral Dissertation)
Texas A&M University; Mechanical Engineering; 3123 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-3123