Dr. Dharmasena's current research interests are in the areas of Consumer Economics, Behavioral Economics, Health and Nutrition Economics, Economics of Food Security, Food Environments and Obesity, Spatial Price Modeling, Probability Forecast Evaluation, and Market Integration and Price Discovery. He has extensive training in applied econometrics, both structural and time-series. He has expertise in organizing and analyzing extremely large consumer transaction data, such as Nielsen Homescan panel. Also, he is very comfortable with handling macroeconomic data and other national, state and county level data in modeling and forecasting work.
- Ph.D. in Agricultural Economics, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 2010
- M.S. in Agricultural Economics, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 2003
- B.S. in Agriculture, University of Peradeniya - (Kandy, Sri Lanka) 2000
- Branch, M., & Dharmasena, S. (2019). Factors affecting the propensity to purchase specialty eggs in the United States. Journal of Food Distribution Research. 50(1), 114-122.
- Zheng, W., Dharmasena, S., Capps, O., & Janakiraman, R. (2018). Consumer demand for and effects of tax on sparkling and non-sparkling bottled water in the United States. Journal of Agribusiness in Developing and Emerging Economies. 8(3), 501-517.
- Rowland, C. S., Mjelde, J. W., & Dharmasena, S. (2017). Policy implications of considering pre-commitments in US aggregate energy demand system. ENERGY POLICY. 102(C), 406-413.
- Silva, A., & Dharmasena, S. (2016). Considering seasonal unit root in a demand system: an empirical approach. Empirical Economics. 51(4), 1443-1463.
- Dharmasena, S., Bessler, D. A., & Jr, C. O. (2016). Food environment in the United States as a complex economic system. Food Policy. 61(C), 163-175.
- Dharmasena, S., & Jr, C. O. (2009). \"Household Demand Analysis for Bottled Water in the United States.\". Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics. 34(3), 550-550.
- Dharmasena, S., Jr, C. O., & Bessler, D. A. (2008). \"Probability Evaluation Through Calibration, Resolution, Brier Score, and Yates-Partition: An Application to Qualitative Choice Models.\". Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics. 33(3), 504-504.