Wherley, Benjamin individual record
My research program addresses basic and applied research issues related to turfgrass management, physiology, and ecology. Research focuses on developing sustainable approaches new technologies for irrigation, nutrient management, and construction practices for golf course, sod production, and lawn systems. My program collaborates with faculty across a variety of disciplines to address problems of interest to turf industry stakeholders.
education and training
- Ph.D. in Crop Science, North Carolina State University - (Raleigh, North Carolina, United States) 2008
- Hejl, R., Straw, C., Wherley, B., Bowling, R., & McInnes, K. (2022). Factors leading to spatiotemporal variability of soil moisture and turfgrass quality within sand-capped golf course fairways. PRECISION AGRICULTURE. 23(5), 1908-1917.
- Chang, B., Wherley, B., Aitkenhead-Peterson, J., McInnes, K., & Dwyer, P. (2022). Short-term impacts of urban landscape conversion on surface runoff quality. URBAN ECOSYSTEMS. 25(5), 1561-1576.
- Pirtle, T., Chavarria, M. R., Erickson, J. E., Kenworthy, K. E., Cox, K., Unruh, J. B., ... Moss, J. (2022). Effects of St. Augustinegrass genotype and irrigation frequency on turfgrass quality in a subtropical environment. International Turfgrass Society Research Journal. 14(1), 683-693.
- Hejl, R. W., Wherley, B. G., McInnes, K., Straw, C. M., & Fontanier, C. (2022). Evaluation of irrigation scheduling approaches within sand-capped turfgrass systems. AGRONOMY JOURNAL. 114(3), 1694-1704.
- Hejl, R. W., Wherley, B. G., & Fontanier, C. H. (2021). Long-term Performance of Warm-season Turfgrass Species under Municipal Irrigation Frequency Restrictions. HORTSCIENCE. 56(10), 1221-1225.
- Jespersen, D., Wherley, B., & DaCosta, M. (2023). Advances in understanding turfgrass physiology. Achieving sustainable turfgrass management. 3-44. Burleigh Dodds Science Publishing.
- Wherley, B. (2013). Design of Lysimeter for Turfgrass Water Use. Evapotranspiration. 75-85. Taylor & Francis.
- Wherley, B. (2013). Water Conservation for Turfgrass. Evapotranspiration. 305-315. Taylor & Francis.
- Wherley, B. (2011). Turfgrass Growth, Quality, and Reflective Heat Load in Response to Deficit Irrigation Practices. Evapotranspiration. IntechOpen.
- Birnbaum, A. L., Wherley, B. G., & Reed, D. W. (2022). Eggplant Biomass is Significantly Higher in Composted Spent Coffee Grounds than Non-Composted Spent Coffee Grounds but Not Basil Biomass. HORTSCIENCE. 57(9), S268-S268.
- Birnbaum, A., Wherley, B., & Reed, D. (2021). Spent Coffee Grounds Have a Biostimulant Effect on Germination of Spinach, Peas, and Radish. HORTSCIENCE. 56(9), S70-S70.
- Nissen, L. D., Jo, Y., & Wherley, B. (2013). Large patch activity in 'Palisades' zoysiagrass in response to irrigation, nitrogen and Civitas applications. PHYTOPATHOLOGY. 103(5), 8-8.
- Wherley, B., Sinclair, T., Dukes, M., & Miller, G. (2009). Design, Construction, and Field Evaluation of a Lysimeter System for Determining Turfgrass Water Use. PROCEEDINGS OF THE FLORIDA STATE HORTICULTURE SOCIETY, VOL 122. 122, 373-377.
- Wherley, B., Alvarado, J., White, R., Thomas, J., Men, J., Tate, D., Jaber, F., & Reynolds, W. (2018). Method and system for reduction of irrigation runoff.
- 104B State Water Resources Research Institute Program awarded by DOI - U.S. Geological Survey 2016 - 2021
recent teaching activities
- HORT491 Research Instructor
- MEPS685 Directed Studies Instructor
- MEPS691 Research Instructor
- SCSC312 Professional Dev In Turfgrass Instructor
- SCSC427 Sport Field Construction Instructor
chaired theses and dissertations
- Xie, Runshi (2017-12). EVALUATION OF LEAF PROTEIN CONTENT, EXTRACTION, AND PURIFICATION IN NAPIERGRASS (Pennisetum purpureum SCHUMACH.). (Master's Thesis)
- Chavarria Sanchez, Manuel Roman (2017-08). Salinity Tolerance Mechanisms of Warm-Season Turfgrass Experimental Lines and Cultivars. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Dyer, Don Wesley (2017-08). Sand-capping Depth and Subsoil Influence on Turfgrass Establishment, Performance, and Irrigation Requirements. (Master's Thesis)
- Chen, Zhaoxin (2017-08). Daily Light Integral Requirements for Zoysiagrass and Bermudagrass Cultivars: Fertility, Mowing Height, and Growth Regulator Interactions. (Master's Thesis)
- Ojeda, Nadezda (2016-05). Effects of Deficit Irrigation, Fertilization, and Wetting Agent on Runoff Nutrient Concentrations and Exports from St. Augustine Lawns. (Master's Thesis)
Texas A&M University; Soil & Crop Science; 2474 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-2474