Dr. Anna Armitage is a broadly trained community ecologist with over 20 years of experience working in coastal wetlands. Her research utilizes multivariate, interdisciplinary field studies to study trophic interactions and anthropogenic impacts in coastal wetland habitats, including marshes, mangroves, and seagrasses. Her current research projects include studies about the effects of nutrient enrichment on ecological interactions and processes in the mangrove-marsh ecotone and other coastal wetland habitats. She has extensive experience conducting large-scale field surveys and managing and analyzing complex datasets. She has published 36 peer-reviewed papers and has supervised numerous graduate and undergraduate students and postdoctoral research scholars.
- Ph.D. in Biology, University of California Los Angeles - (Los Angeles, California, United States) 2003
- B.S. in Marine Biology, University of California Los Angeles - (Los Angeles, California, United States) 1995
- Patrick, C. J., Yeager, L., Armitage, A. R., Carvallo, F., Congdon, V. M., Dunton, K. H., ... Wetz, M. (2020). A System Level Analysis of Coastal Ecosystem Responses to Hurricane Impacts. ESTUARIES. 43(5), 943-959.
- Wachnicka, A., Armitage, A. R., Zink, I., Browder, J., & Fourqurean, J. W. (2020). Major 2017 Hurricanes and their Cumulative Impacts on Coastal Waters of the USA and the Caribbean. ESTUARIES. 43(5), 941-942.
- Armitage, A. R., Weaver, C. A., Kominoski, J. S., & Pennings, S. C. (2020). Resistance to Hurricane Effects Varies Among Wetland Vegetation Types in the Marsh–Mangrove Ecotone. ESTUARIES. 43(5), 960-970.
- Glazner, R., Blennau, J., & Armitage, A. R. (2020). Mangroves alter predator-prey interactions by enhancing prey refuge value in a mangrove-marsh ecotone. JOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL MARINE BIOLOGY AND ECOLOGY. 526, 151336-151336.
- Armitage, A. R., Weaver, C. A., Whitt, A. A., & Pennings, S. C. (2020). Effects of mangrove encroachment on tidal wetland plant, nekton, and bird communities in the Western Gulf of Mexico. Estuarine Coastal and Shelf Science. (Agron. J. 54 1962), 106767-106767.
- armitage, a. R. (2003). Community structure and trophic interactions in restored and natural estuarine mudflats: complex trophic cascades and positive and negative effects of nutrients. University Of California, Los Angeles.
- Armitage, A. R. (2014). Coastal Wetland Ecology and Challenges for Environmental Management. Ecology and the Environment. (pp. 425-456). Springer New York.
- Armitage, A. R. (2013). Coastal Wetland Ecology and Challenges for Environmental Management. Ecology and the Environment. (pp. 1-25). Springer New York.
- Zhou, X., Armitage, A. R., & Prasad, S. (2016). Mapping Mangrove Communities in Coastal Wetlands Using Airborne Hyperspectral Data. 2016 8TH WORKSHOP ON HYPERSPECTRAL IMAGE AND SIGNAL PROCESSING: EVOLUTION IN REMOTE SENSING (WHISPERS). 1-5.
- Sigren, J. M., Figlus, J., Highfield, W., Armitage, A. R., & Feagin, R. A. (2015). Methods Evaluating the Economic Effects of Coastal Dunes in Reducing Storm-Induced Property Damage: Hurricane Ike and Texas Coast Case Study. 88-97.
- Carver, S. T., Arnold, M. A., Byrne, D. H., Armitage, A. R., Lineberger, R. D., & King, A. R. (2015). Variation in Growth Habit and Propensity to Flower of Oenothera drummondii Hook. from Three Texas Coastal Regions. HORTSCIENCE. 50(9), S26-S26.
- Figlus, J., Sigren, J. M., Armitage, A. R., & Tyler, R. C. (2014). EROSION OF VEGETATED COASTAL DUNES. Coastal Engineering Proceedings. 1(34), 20-20.
- Carver, S. T., Arnold, M. A., Byrne, D. H., Armitage, A. R., & King, A. R. (2014). Determining Optimal Rates of Drench Applied Plant Growth Regulators for Container-grown Oenothera drummondii Hook. HORTSCIENCE. 49(9), S56-S56.
- Sigren, Jacob Marshall (2017-08). Coastal Dunes and Dune Vegetation: Interdisciplinary Research on Storm Protection, Erosion, and Ecosystem Restoration. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Whitt, Ashley Anne (2016-08). Utilizing Citizen Science to Assess Bird Community Composition Within a Changing Marsh-Mangrove Ecotone in Texas. (Master's Thesis)
- Weaver, Carolyn Ann (2016-05). Nutrient Enrichment Effects within the Marsh-Mangrove Ecotone: Implications for Mangrove Encroachment. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Lee, Courtney T (2014-08). The Role of Population-based Diversity on Productivity: Considerations for Restored Spartina alterniflora Salt Marshes. (Master's Thesis)
- Bell, Michael Thomas (2011-05). Aquatic macrophyte and animal communities in a recently restored brackish marsh: possible influences of restoration design and the invasive plant species Myriophyllum spicatum. (Master's Thesis)