Dr. Ing's research interests focus on understanding how hormones regulate gene expression in animal tissues. Current research projects investigate the earliest days of pregnancy in the sheep uterus and the regulation of estrogen receptor gene expression, as well as stress hormone effects on gene expression in the stallion testes. Most recently, we have been studying the RNAs in sperm from stallions and honey bees in order to find a pattern consistent with high fertility.
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, University of Florida - (Gainesville, Florida, United States) 1988
- D.V.M. in Veterinary Medicine, University of Florida - (Gainesville, Florida, United States) 1984
- B.S. in Zoology (with Honors), University of Florida - (Gainesville, Florida, United States) 1979
- Ing, N. H., Konganti, K., Ghaffari, N., Johnson, C. D., Forrest, D. W., Love, C. C., & Varner, D. D. (2020). Identification and quantification of coding and long non‐coding RNAs in stallion spermatozoa separated by density. Andrology. 8(5), 1409-1418.
- Newton, G. R., Lewis, S. K., Avendano, J., Williams, E. A., Ribeiro, F., Nuti, L. C., Foxworth, W. B., & Ing, N. H. (2019). Fucosyltransferase gene expression in goat endometrium during the estrous cycle and early pregnancy. Theriogenology. 132, 118-127.
- Valdez, R., Cavinder, C. A., Varner, D. D., Welsh, T. H., Vogelsang, M. M., & Ing, N. H. (2019). Dexamethasone downregulates expression of several genes encoding orphan nuclear receptors that are important to steroidogenesis in stallion testes. Journal of Biochemical and Molecular Toxicology. 33(6), e22309.
- Lindström, H., Peer, S. M., Ing, N. H., & Mannervik, B. (2018). Characterization of equine GST A3-3 as a steroid isomerase. The Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. 178, 117-126.
- Gonzalez, A. N., Ing, N., & Rangel, J. (2017). Upregulation of antioxidant genes in the spermathecae of honey bee (Apis mellifera) queens after mating. Apidologie. 49(2), 224-234.
- Johnson, L., Ing, N. H., Curley, K. O., Graham, J., Welsh, T. H., & Staub, C. (2018). Anatomy and Physiology of the Male Reproductive System and Potential Targets of Toxicants☆. Comprehensive Toxicology. (pp. 2-63). Elsevier.
- Ing, N. H. (2016). Post-transcriptional Regulation of Steroid Hormone Receptors. Post-transcriptional Mechanisms in Endocrine Regulation. (pp. 91-107). Springer International Publishing.
- Ing, N. H. (2012). Post-transcriptional effects of estrogens on gene expression: Messenger RNA stability and translation regulated by micrornas and other factors. Estrogens: Biochemistry, Therapeutic Uses and Physiological Effects. (pp. 113-140).
- Ing, N. H. (2011). Post-transcriptional effects of estrogens on gene expression: Messenger RNA stability and translation regulated by micrornas and other factors. Biological Aspects of Human Health and Well-Being. (pp. 131-150).
- Ing, N. H. (2010). Post-transcriptional effects of estrogens on gene expression: Messenger rna stability and translation regulated by micrornas and other factors. Advances in Medicine and Biology, Volume 3. (pp. 159-178).
- Welsh, T. H., Brinsko, S. P., Curley, K. O., Forrest, D. W., Ing, N. H., Love, C. C., ... Varner, D. D. (2006). Effect of dexamethasone on serum and testicular concentrations of testosterone in stallions. Anim Reprod Sci. 94(1-4), 158-160.
- Heninger, N. L., Staub, C., Johnson, L., Blanchard, T. L., Varner, D., Ing, N. H., & Forrest, D. W. (2006). Testicular germ cell apoptosis and formation of the sertoli cell barrier during the initiation of spermatogenesis in pubertal stallions.. Anim Reprod Sci. 94(1-4), 127-131.
- Jaeger, L. A., Spiegel, A. K., & Ing, N. H. (2004). Multiple effects of transforming growth factor beta (TGF beta) on porcine trophectorderm adhesion.. Biology of Reproduction. 211-211.
- Woldesenbet, S., Garcia, R. F., Lewis, S. K., Igbo, N., Leake, J., Stoddard, S. V., ... Newton, G. R. (2003). Alpha(1-2)fucosyltransferase gene expression by caprine endometrial tissues obtained during the estrous cycle and early pregnancy.. Biology of Reproduction. 68, 353-353.
- Ing, N. H., Wolfskill, R., Clark, S., & de Graauw, J. A. (2003). Estradiol up-regulates expression of a novel gene product involved in cell adhesion in the endometrial glands of sheep.. Biology of Reproduction. 68, 352-352.
- College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Dean's Outstanding Achievement Award conferred by Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) - for Faculty Mentoring 2012
- Peer, Shawna Marie (2015-05). Characterization of GSTA3 Gene Products in Multiple Species and Demonstration of their Conservation in Divergent Species. (Master's Thesis)
- Faucette, Azure (2012-05). Changes in Gene Expression of Goat Developing Testes and Sperm During Breeding and Non-breeding Season. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Laughlin, Andy M. (2010-05). Gene Expression in the Stallion Testes. (Doctoral Dissertation)