The development, control and diseases of the musculoskeletal system have been my scholarly interests for the past 35+ years. Understanding how the musculoskeletal system adapts and progresses throughout life is the basis of my expertise. My research focus has been the skeletal consequences of disease, such as breast cancer bone metastasis and multiple myeloma, fracture healing, osteoporosis, and most recently rare bone diseases. Current research efforts include a focus on utilizing in vivo models (murine and large animals) to discover regulatory pathways fundamental to bone physiology and the development of rare bone disease preclinical model(s) that may provide novel insight into future therapeutic directions. A critical aspect of my academic philosophy is an open door policy and the importance of one-on-one interactions. We must strive to provide training and exposure for our students as they prepare for careers both in and out of academic medicine and research. I emphatically believe that these teaching and mentoring experiences have shaped my scientific career and have helped mold my teaching and mentoring philosophy of placing the best professional, academic, social and personal development of faculty, students and staff above all else.
- Ph.D. in Medicine, University of Melbourne - (Melbourne, Victoria, Australia) 1989
- Merck Institute for Science Education - (Rahway, New Jersey, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1989
- B.A.S. in Chemistry and Biochemistry, Swinburne University of Technology - (Melbourne, Victoria, Australia) 1981
- Suva, L. J., Cooper, A., Watts, A. E., Ebetino, F. H., Price, J., & Gaddy, D. (2021). Bisphosphonates in veterinary medicine: The new horizon for use.. Bone. 142, 115711-115711.
- Robinson, J. W., Blixt, N. C., Norton, A., Mansky, K. C., Ye, Z., Aparicio, C., ... Potter, L. R. (2020). Male mice with elevated C-type natriuretic peptide-dependent guanylyl cyclase-B activity have increased osteoblasts, bone mass and bone strength.. Bone. 135, 115320-115320.
- Suva, L. J., & Friedman, P. A. (2020). PTH and PTHrP Actions on Bone.. Handb Exp Pharmacol. 262, 27-45.
- Khalaf, O. H., Chaki, S. P., Garcia-Gonzalez, D. G., Suva, L. J., Gaddy, D., & Arenas-Gamboa, A. M. (2020). Interaction of Brucella abortus with Osteoclasts: a Step toward Understanding Osteoarticular Brucellosis and Vaccine Safety.. Infect Immun. 88(4), e00822-e00819.
- Suva, L. J., Westhusin, M. E., Long, C. R., & Gaddy, D. (2020). Engineering bone phenotypes in domestic animals: Unique resources for enhancing musculoskeletal research.. Bone. 130, 115119-115119.
- Kamalakar, A., Washam, C. L., & Suva, L. J. (2019). Parathyroid Hormone Related Protein (PTHrP). Encyclopedia of Endocrine Diseases. 168-177. Elsevier.
- Suva, L. J., Freeman, A. N., & Martin, T. J. (2015). Parathyroid Hormone-related Protein. The Parathyroids. 45-64. Elsevier.
- Suva, L. J., Freeman, A. N., & Martin, T. J. (2015). Chapter 3 Parathyroid Hormone-related Protein Gene Structure, Biosynthesis, Metabolism and Regulation. The Parathyroids. 45-64. Elsevier.
- Byrum, S., Siegel, E. R., Bhattacharyya, S., & Suva, L. J. (2010). Proteomics of Bone Cancer. Bone Cancer. 171-180. Elsevier.
- Suva, L. J., Nicholas, R. W., & Gaddy, D. (2010). Inflammatory Cytokines and Their Role in Bone Metastasis and Osteolysis. Bone and Cancer. 141-155. Springer London.
- Atrash, S., Dua, I., Buros, A. F., Van Rhee, F., Suva, L. J., Thanendrarajan, S., ... Zangari, M. (2019). FRAX is a robust predictor of baseline vertebral fractures in multiple myeloma patients.. Bone. 121, 134-138.
- Williams, D. K., Pinzon, C. A., Huggins, S., Pryor, J. H., Georges, H. M., Hermann, F., ... Suva, L. J. (2018). Genetically Engineering a Sheep Model of Hypophosphatasia. The FASEB Journal. 32(S1), 859.10-859.10.
- Mohan, M., Rohan, S., Buros, A., Alapat, D., Walters, J., Pait, T. G., ... Zangari, M. (2017). Effect of Bone Allograft in Multiple Myeloma Spine Surgeries.. JOURNAL OF BONE AND MINERAL RESEARCH. 32, S66-S66.
- Williams, D. K., Pryor, J. H., Huggins, S., Georges, H. M., Pinzon, C. A., Hermann, F., ... Suva, L. J. (2017). Genetic engineering a sheep model of Hypophosphatasia.. JOURNAL OF BONE AND MINERAL RESEARCH. 32, S397-S397.
- Branca, A., Buros, A., Yoon, D., Suva, L. J., Weinhold, N., Rasche, L., ... Zangari, M. (2016). Daratumumab Single Agent and Daratumumab Plus Pomalidomide and Dexametasone in Relapsed/Refractory Multiple Myeloma: A Real Life Retrospective Evaluation. Blood. 128(22), 4516-4516.