The development, control and diseases of the musculoskeletal system have been my scholarly interests for the past 30+ years. Understanding how the musculoskeletal system adapts and progresses throughout life is the basis of my expertise. My research focus has been the skeletal consequences of disease, such as breast cancer bone metastasis and multiple myeloma, osteosarcoma chemotherapy, fracture healing, osteoporosis, diabetes and bone infections. Current research efforts include a focus on in vivo models (murine and larger animals) to discover regulatory pathways fundamental to bone physiology and the development of rare bone disease pre-clinical model(s) that may provide novel insight into future therapeutic directions. A critical aspect of my academic philosophy is an open door policy and the importance of one-on-one interactions. We must strive to provide training and exposure for our students as they prepare for careers both in and out of academic medicine and research. I emphatically believe that these teaching and mentoring experiences have shaped my scientific career and have helped mold my teaching and mentoring philosophy of placing the best professional, academic, social and personal development of faculty, students and staff above all else.
- Suva, L. J., Cooper, A., Watts, A. E., Ebetino, F. H., Price, J., & Gaddy, D. (2020). Bisphosphonates in veterinary medicine: The new horizon for use. BONE. 142, 115711-115711.
- Suva, L. J., & Friedman, P. A. (2020). PTH and PTHrP Actions on Bone. Handb Exp Pharmacol. 262, 27-45.
- Williams, A. E., Watt, J., Robertson, L. W., Gadupudi, G., Osborn, M. L., Soares, M. J., ... Ronis, M. (2020). Skeletal Toxicity of Coplanar Polychlorinated Biphenyl Congener 126 in the Rat Is Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor Dependent.. Toxicological Sciences. 175(1), 113-125.
- Robinson, J. W., Blixt, N. C., Norton, A., Mansky, K. C., Ye, Z., Aparicio, C., ... Potter, L. R. (2020). Male mice with elevated C-type natriuretic peptide-dependent guanylyl cyclase-B activity have increased osteoblasts, bone mass and bone strength. BONE. 135, 115320-115320.
- Khalaf, O. H., Chaki, S. P., Garcia-Gonzalez, D. G., Suva, L. J., Gaddy, D., & Arenas-Gamboa, A. M. (2020). Interaction of Brucella abortus with Osteoclasts: a Step toward Understanding Osteoarticular Brucellosis and Vaccine Safety.. Infection and Immunity. 88(4),
- Kamalakar, A., Washam, C. L., & Suva, L. J. (2019). Parathyroid Hormone Related Protein (PTHrP). Encyclopedia of Endocrine Diseases. (pp. 168-177). Elsevier.
- Suva, L. J., Freeman, A. N., & Martin, T. J. (2015). Chapter 3 Parathyroid Hormone-related Protein Gene Structure, Biosynthesis, Metabolism and Regulation. The Parathyroids. (pp. 45-64).
- Suva, L. J., Freeman, A. N., & John Martin, T. (2014). Parathyroid Hormone-related Protein: Gene Structure, Biosynthesis, Metabolism and Regulation. The Parathyroids: Basic and Clinical Concepts: Third Edition. (pp. 45-64). Elsevier.
- Byrum, S., Siegel, E. R., Bhattacharyya, S., & Suva, L. J. (2010). Proteomics of bone cancer. Bone Cancer. (pp. 171-180). Elsevier.
- Byrum, S., Siegel, E. R., Bhattacharyya, S., & Suva, L. J. (2010). Chapter 14 Proteomics of Bone Cancer. Bone Cancer. (pp. 171-180).
- Atrash, S., Dua, I., Buros, A. F., Van Rhee, F., Suva, L. J., Thanendrarajan, S., ... Zangari, M. (2019). FRAX is a robust predictor of baseline vertebral fractures in multiple myeloma patients. BONE. 121, 134-138.
- Williams, D. K., Pinzon, C. A., Huggins, S., Pryor, J. H., Georges, H. M., Hermann, F., ... Suva, L. J. (2018). Genetically Engineering a Sheep Model of Hypophosphatasia. FASEB J. 32(S1), 859.10-859.10.
- Mohan, M., Rohan, S., Buros, A., Alapat, D., Walters, J., Pait, T. G., ... Zangari, M. (2017). Effect of Bone Allograft in Multiple Myeloma Spine Surgeries.. JOURNAL OF BONE AND MINERAL RESEARCH. 32, S66-S66.
- Williams, D. K., Pryor, J. H., Huggins, S., Georges, H. M., Pinzon, C. A., Hermann, F., ... Suva, L. J. (2017). Genetic engineering a sheep model of Hypophosphatasia.. JOURNAL OF BONE AND MINERAL RESEARCH. 32, S397-S397.
- Branca, A., Buros, A., Yoon, D., Suva, L. J., Weinhold, N., Rasche, L., ... Zangari, M. (2016). Daratumumab Single Agent and Daratumumab Plus Pomalidomide and Dexametasone in Relapsed/Refractory Multiple Myeloma: A Real Life Retrospective Evaluation. BLOOD. 128(22), 4516-4516.