His work emphasizes building energy modeling, statistical modeling, methods for diagnosing operational problems, operator feedback using comparisons of predicted and actual energy use, artificial intelligence, advanced energy usage graphics, prescreening calculations for improving commercial and residential energy audits, public-domain M&V algorithms, computerized solar shading procedures, accuracy tests for HVAC systems, BIM-to-thermal procedures, and procedures for calculating air pollution savings from energy efficiency and renewable energy projects (i.e., SOx, NOx, CO2, PM and Hg).
He is a Co-PI of the Laboratory's Texas Emissions Reduction Program (TERP), along with Mr. Bahman Yazdani, where he provides technical leadership for the code compliance calculator and emissions calculations from energy efficiency and renewable energy. He is a Co-PI for the USEPA's National Center of Excellence on Displaced Emissions Reductions (CEDER), with Dr. Charles Culp and Mr. Bahman Yazdani, which was established in the Spring of 2007 to help the EPA transfer the Texas emissions reductions calculation procedures to other states; a Co-PI for the Laboratory's Continuous Commissioning(R) program for improving energy efficiency in existing buildings; PI and/or Co-PI on numerous ASHRAE Research Projects (RP-827, RP-865, RP-1050, RP-1093, RP-1017, RP-1468); Co-PI on an NSF project for creating physically-based, BIM-to-thermal simulations; PI on the NAS TRB project for benchmarking airport terminal energy use; and the Co-PI of Texas A&M University's 2007 Solar Decathlon Effort, with Pliny Fisk as the PI.
He was the Principal Investigator for the Computer Support and Improved Energy Audit of the Texas LoanSTAR project from 1990 to 2002, a $98.6 million revolving loan for the state of Texas that was the largest first large-scale project in the United States to continuously measure and report energy savings in over 160 building energy conservation retrofits.
- Ph.D. in Civil Engineering, University of Colorado Boulder - (Boulder, Colorado, United States) 1986
- M.S. in Civil Engineering, University of Colorado Boulder - (Boulder, Colorado, United States) 1981
- B.S. in Architectural Engineering, University of Colorado Boulder - (Boulder, Colorado, United States) 1978
- Claridge, D. E., Culp, C., Liu, W., Pate, M., Haberl, J., Bynum, J., Tanskyi, O., & Schaff, F. (2019). A new approach for drying moist air: The ideal Claridge-Culp-Liu dehumidification process with membrane separation, vacuum compression and sub-atmospheric condensation. International Journal of Refrigeration. 101, 211-217.
- Mao, C., Baltazar, J., & Haberl, J. S. (2019). Comparison of ASHRAE peak cooling load calculation methods. Science and Technology for the Built Environment. 25(2), 1-45.
- Mao, C., Baltazar, J., & Haberl, J. S. (2018). Literature review of building peak cooling load methods in the United States. Science and Technology for the Built Environment. 24(3), 0-0.
- Do, S. L., & Haberl, J. (2018). Development of a ground-coupled heat pump system simulation model using g-function approximation for a residential code-compliant tool. Building Simulation. 11(1), 51-66.
- Song, S., & Haberl, J. S. (2017). Simplified field measurement and verification of global solar transmittance for glazing samples under natural clear-sky conditions. Solar Energy. 155, 706-714.
- American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers, .. (2001). Standard Method of Test for the Evaluation of Building Energy Analysis Computer Programs. American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers, Incorporated.
- Huang, J., Haberl, J. S., & Kreider, J. F. (2000). HVAC design calculations: Simulation and modeling — building energy consumption. Handbook of Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning. (pp. 6-53-6-92).
- Mukhopadhyay, J., & Haberl, J. (2015). Reducing energy consumption in grocery stores: Assessing the performance of CHP systems. ASHRAE Conference-Papers. 121, 267-288.
- Baltazar, J., Mao, C., Haberl, J., & ASHRAE, .. (2014). Verification of Energy Savings from the Implementation of the Residential Building Codes in Texas. ASHRAE Transactions. 120,
- Kim, K. H., Baltazar, J., & Haberl, J. S. (2014). Evaluation of Meteorological Base Models for Estimating Hourly Global Solar Radiation in Texas. Energy Procedia. 57, 1189-1198.
- Kim, H., & Haberl, J. (2014). Exploring methods to analyze and display continuously-measured time-series IEQ performance data. 181-188.
- Baltazar, J., Sun, Y., & Haberl, J. (2014). Improved Methodology to Measure Normal Incident Solar Radiation with a Multi-pyranometer Array. Energy Procedia. 57, 1211-1219.
- Claridge, D., Culp, C., & Haberl, J. (2014). System and method for efficient air dehumidification and liquid recovery.
- Claridge, D., Culp, C., & Haberl, J. (2014). System and method for efficient air dehumidification and liquid recovery with evaporative cooling.
- Claridge, D., Culp, C., & Haberl, J. (2014). System and method for efficient multi-stage air dehumidification and liquid recovery.
- Culp, C., Claridge, D., Haberl, J., & Turner, W. (2011). System and method for remote monitoring and controlling of facility energy consumption.
- Culp, C., Claridge, D., Haberl, J., Turner, W., & Liu, M. (2009). System and method for diagnostically evaluating energy consumption systems and components of a facility.
- Fort Hood Measurement & Verification, Net Zero and Commissioning Project awarded by DOD-Army-COE-Fort Worth 2018 - 2019
- Shin, Minjae (2018-08). Development of a Procedure for Automating Thermal Zoning for Building Energy Simulation. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Oh, Sukjoon (2017-12). Quantifying the Electricity Savings from the Use of Home Automation Devices in a Residence. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Mao, Chunliu (2016-05). Analysis of Building Peak Cooling Load Calculation Methods for Commercial Buildings in the United States. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Davis, Georgina Amanda (2015-05). A Study of Remote, Cold Regions Habitations and Design Recommendations for New Dormitory Buildings in McMurdo Station, Antarctica. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Choi, Jong-Hyo (2014-12). Analysis of the Impact of Using Improved Multi-Layer Window Models for Code-Compliant Residential Building Energy Simulation in Texas. (Master's Thesis)