Marcelo Paredes is an assistant professor in Ocean Engineering Department at Texas A&M University. Paredes joined TAMU after five years at MIT as a research scientist in the Impact and Crashworthiness Laboratory (ICL). Paredes obtained his Ph.D. in 2012 from University of Sao Paulo (USP) in the area of fracture mechanics. His research interests lie in the interface of physics and mechanics to develop predictive analytical and numerical models for solid materials (e.g. metals) with special application to ductile crack propagation in thick-walled components and stress corrosion cracking assessment and ductile-to-brittle transition behavior.
- Sakonder, C., Xue, L., Paredes, M., Savioli, R., & Sarzosa, D. (2022). Directional dependence of critical axial strain in X65 pipeline steel subject to combined internal pressure and bending loading. International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping. 196, 104610-104610.
- Xue, L., Keim, V., Paredes, M., Nonn, A., & Wierzbicki, T. (2021). Anisotropic effects on crack propagation in pressurized line pipes under running ductile fracture scenarios. Engineering Fracture Mechanics. 249, 107748-107748.
- Paredes, M., & Wierzbicki, T. (2020). On mechanical response of Zircaloy-4 under a wider range of stress states: From uniaxial tension to uniaxial compression. International Journal of Solids and Structures. 206, 198-223.
- Paredes, M., Grolleau, V., & Wierzbicki, T. (2020). On ductile fracture of 316L stainless steels at room and cryogenic temperature level: An engineering approach to determine material parameters. Materialia. 10, 100624-100624.
- Keim, V., Paredes, M., Nonn, A., & Mnstermann, S (2020). FSI-simulation of ductile fracture propagation and arrest in pipelines: Comparison with existing data of full-scale burst tests. International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping. 104067-104067.
- Xue, L., Paredes, M., Nonn, A., & Wierzbicki, T (2020). Modeling of Crack Propagation in Defective X100 Line Pipes. Volume 3: Materials Technology, ASME 2020 39th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering.
- Paredes, M., & Wierzbicki, T (2019). FRACTURE BEHAVIOR OF PRESSURIZED DEFECTIVE PIPES SUBJECTED TO LARGE TENSILE STRAINS. ASME PRESSURE VESSELS AND PIPING CONFERENCE - 2015, VOL 6B. 6B-2015,
- Paredes, M., & Wierzbicki, T. (2019). STRAIN CAPACITY OF X70 PIPELINE STEEL SUBJECTED TO BIAXIAL LOADING CONDITION. PROCEEDINGS OF THE ASME 34TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON OCEAN, OFFSHORE AND ARCTIC ENGINEERING, 2015, VOL 5B. 5B,
- Nonn, A., Paredes, M., Keim, V., & Wierzbicki, T. (2018). Comparison of Fracture Models to Quantify the Effects of Material Plasticity on the Ductile Fracture Propagation in Pipelines. Volume 3: Operations, Monitoring, and Maintenance; Materials and Joining, 2018 12th International Pipeline Conference. 3, v003t05a005-v003t05a005.
- Nonn, A., Paredes, M., Nordhagen, H. O., Munkejord, S. T., & Wierzbicki, T (2017). Challenges in fluid-structure modeling of crack propagation and arrest in modern steel pipelines. ICF 2017 - 14th International Conference on Fracture. 2, 374-375.