- Director of Gas and Fuels Research Center, Texas A&M Engineering Experiment Station (TEES), Texas A&M University
- Chair of the ORYX GTL Gas-to-Liquid Technology Excellence Program, Texas A&M University at Qatar, Texas A&M University
- Faculty Affiliate, Energy Institute, Texas A&M Engineering Experiment Station (TEES), Division of Research
- Professor, Chemical Engineering (Qatar), Texas A&M University at Qatar
- Professor, Petroleum Engineering (Qatar), Texas A&M University at Qatar
Dr. Elbashir is a professor at Texas A&M University at Qatar and the Director of the Fuel Research Center of Texas A&M University; a major research center that involves 19 faculty members from both the Qatar and College Station campuses of Texas A&M University. His research activities is focused on design of reactors and catalysts for Gas-to-Liquid (GTL) technology, petrochemical conversions, and CO2 utilization. In addition, Dr. Elbashir is the Director of Texas A&M Qatar Fuel Characterization Lab, a research lab that is supporting major research activities in the advancements of synthetic fuels and chemicals obtained from natural gas in collaboration with GE(Oil& Gas); OryxGTL; and Shell and world leading academic institutions.
- Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Auburn University - (Auburn, Alabama, United States) 2004
- M.E. in Chemical Engineering, University of Technology Malaysia - (Johor Bahru, Malaysia) 1998
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering (Honors), University of Khartoum - (Khartoum, Khartoum, Sudan) 1994
- Afzal, S., Prakash, A., Littlewood, P., Choudhury, H., Khan Ghouri, Z., Mansour, S., ... Elbashir, N. (2021). Catalyst Deactivation by Carbon Deposition: The Remarkable Case of Nickel Confined by Atomic Layer Deposition. ChemCatChem. 13(13), 2988-3000.
- Challiwala, M. S., Choudhury, H. A., Wang, D., El-Halwagi, M. M., Weitz, E., & Elbashir, N. O. (2021). A novel CO2 utilization technology for the synergistic co-production of multi-walled carbon nanotubes and syngas. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. 11(1), 1417.
- Yoon, S. H., Piao, G., Park, H., Elbashir, N. O., & Han, D. S. (2020). Theoretical insight into effect of cation–anion pairs on CO2 reduction on bismuth electrocatalysts. Applied Surface Science. 532, 147459-147459.
- Chatla, A., Ghouri, M. M., Hassan, O., Mohamed, N., Prakash, A. V., & Elbashir, N. O. (2020). An experimental and first principles DFT investigation on the effect of Cu addition to Ni/Al2O3 catalyst for the dry reforming of methane. Applied Catalysis A General. 602, 117699-117699.
- Afzal, .., Prakash, A. V., Littlewood, P., Marks, T. J., Weitz, E., Stair, P. C., & Elbashir, N. O. (2020). Controlling the rate of change of Ni dispersion in commercial catalyst by ALD overcoat during dry reforming of methane. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. 45(23), 12835-12848.
- Challiwala, M. S., Afzal, S., Choudhury, H. A., Sengupta, D., El-Halwagi, M. M., & Elbashir, N. O. (2020). Alternative Pathways for CO2 Utilization via Dry Reforming of Methane. Advances in Carbon Management Technologies. (pp. 253-272). CRC Press.
- Alsuhaibani, A. S., Afzal, .., Challiwala, M., Elbashir, N. O., & El-Halwagi, M. M. (2019). Process Systems Engineering and Catalysis: A Collaborative Approach for the Development of Chemical Processes. 20TH EUROPEAN SYMPOSIUM ON COMPUTER AIDED PROCESS ENGINEERING. Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Foundations of Computer-Aided Process Design. (pp. 409-414). Elsevier.
- Kalakul, S., Zhang, L., Choudhury, H. A., Elbashir, N. O., Eden, M. R., & Gani, R. (2018). ProCAPD – A Computer-Aided Model-Based Tool for Chemical Product Design and Analysis. 20TH EUROPEAN SYMPOSIUM ON COMPUTER AIDED PROCESS ENGINEERING. 13th International Symposium on Process Systems Engineering (PSE 2018). (pp. 469-474). Elsevier.
- Challiwala, M. S., Ghouri, M. M., Sengupta, D., El-Halwagi, M. M., & Elbashir, N. O. (2017). A Process Integration Approach to the Optimization of CO2 Utilization via Tri-Reforming of Methane. 20TH EUROPEAN SYMPOSIUM ON COMPUTER AIDED PROCESS ENGINEERING. 27th European Symposium on Computer Aided Process Engineering. (pp. 1993-1998). Elsevier.
- Mahgerefteh, H., Porter, R., Brown, S., Martynov, S., Collard, A., Fairweather, M., ... Shah, N. (2017). Carbon capture: Whole system experimental and theoretical modeling investigation of the optimal CO
2stream composition in the carbon capture and sequestration chain. The Water-Food-Energy Nexus: Processes, Technologies, and Challenges. (pp. 553-602). CRC Press.
- Challiwala, M. S., Choudhury, H. A., Chatla, A., Sengupta, D., El-Halwagi, M. M., & Elbashir, N. (2019). Dry reforming of methane: An alternative Option for Carbon Capture. 120.
- El-Naas, M. H., Zacharia, R., Elbashir, N., Zhang, Z., & Dindoruk, B. (2018). Editorial for the special issue (GPS, 2016): Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering. Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering. 55, 563-564.
- Afcal, S., Prakash, A., & Elbashir, N. (2018). Coking and sintering resistance of ALD catalyst for dry reforming of methane. 2.
- Hussain, R., & Elbashir, N. O. (2015). Development of a multi-scale modeling approach for fixed-bed fischer tropsch reactor: Modeling and experimental verification. 7-8.
- Intikhab, S., Kalakul, S., Choudhury, H., Gani, R., & Elbashir, N. (2015). Systematic approach to design tailor made fuel blends that meets ASTM standards. 5-12.
- Elbashir, N. O., & Roberts, C. B. (2004). Selective control of hydrocarbon product distribution in supercritical phase Fischer-Tropsch synthesis.. ACS National Meeting Book of Abstracts. 228(2), U177-U178.
- Gulftimes: Promising reactor technology for Qatar's natural gas industry Gulf Times November 27, 2020
- Sheikha Moza attends QF's 'Empowering Innovation' Event Gulf Times October 14, 2020
- Bukur Reaction Engineering and Catalysis Symposium awarded by Qatar National Research Fund - (Doha, Qatar) 2017 - 2018
- Alsuhaibani, Abdulrahman Saleh A (2018-12). Optimal Selection and Design of a Methanol Process with Enhanced CO2 Utilization. (Master's Thesis)
- Katbeh, Tala (2017-12). An Energy Integrated Approach to Design Supercritical Fischer-Tropsch Synthesis Products Separation and Solvent Recovery System. (Master's Thesis)
- Kwak, Gihong (2016-08). A Systematic Approach to Optimize the Cost of Carbon Integration Network. (Master's Thesis)
- Ibrahim, Abdulhaqq Ameen (2016-08). Effect of Pore Size Distribution on Multiphase Equilibrium of Fluids Confined in Porous Media. (Master's Thesis)
- Shahin, Mostafa Mohamed Mohamed Ibrahim (2016-05). GTL Diesel Way Forward to Improve Properties by Separating Light Ends and Formulating the Specifications. (Master's Thesis)