The research in my laboratory focuses on the study of cellular responses to mechano-chemical stresses from a biophysical perspective. Biophysics research represents an applied field of science at the interface of physics, biology, engineering, and medicine. Our lab uses live vascular cells as a model system because endothelial and smooth muscle cells reside 'in vivo' in a mechanically active environment that is continuously changing. Using real-time imaging of live cells is the only way to directly monitor cellular responses to mechano-chemical stimulation. Moreover, single-cell imaging experiments allow discrete measurements of transient microscopic events that may be masked by a macroscopic average behavior, and will aid in understanding such behavior.
- Texas A&M Health Science Center - (College Station, Texas, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2005
- Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2001
- Rice University - (Houston, Texas, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2000
- Ph.D. in Physics, Institutul de Fizica Atomica - (Măgurele, Romania) 1996
- B.S. in Physics, University of Bucharest - (Bucharest, Romania) 1989
- Massett, M. P., Bywaters, B. C., Gibbs, H. C., Trzeciakowski, J. P., Padgham, S., Chen, J., ... Trache, A. (2020). Loss of smooth muscle α-actin effects on mechanosensing and cell–matrix adhesions. EXPERIMENTAL BIOLOGY AND MEDICINE. 245(4), 374-384.
- Woodman, C. R., Seawright, J. W., Luttrell, M. J., Shin, S. Y., & Trache, A. (2018). Importance of mechanical signals in promoting exercise-induced improvements in vasomotor function of aged skeletal muscle resistance arteries. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PHYSIOLOGY-HEART AND CIRCULATORY PHYSIOLOGY. 315(3), H602-H609.
- Seawright, J. W., Sreenivasappa, H., Gibbs, H. C., Padgham, S., Shin, S. Y., Chaponnier, C., ... Trache, A. (2018). Vascular Smooth Muscle Contractile Function Declines With Age in Skeletal Muscle Feed Arteries. Frontiers in Physiology. 9, 856.
- Seawright, J. W., Trache, A., Wilson, E., & Woodman, C. R. (2016). Short-duration increases in intraluminal pressure improve vasoconstrictor responses in aged skeletal muscle feed arteries. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYSIOLOGY. 116(5), 931-937.
- Seawright, J. W., Luttrell, M., Trache, A., & Woodman, C. R. (2016). Short-term increases in pressure and shear stress attenuate age-related declines in endothelial function in skeletal muscle feed arteries. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYSIOLOGY. 116(7), 1305-1311.
- Trache, A., Xie, L., Huang, H., Glinsky, V. V., & Meininger, G. A. (2018). Applications of Atomic Force Microscopy for Adhesion Force Measurements in Mechanotransduction.. Methods in molecular biology (Clifton, N.J.). Methods in Molecular Biology. (pp. 515-528). Springer New York.
- Sun, Z., Trache, A., Meissner, K., & Meininger, G. A. (2012). Integration of AFM with Optical Microscopy Techniques. Atomic Force Microscopy in Liquid: Biological Applications. (pp. 211-229). Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA.
- Trache, A., & Meininger, G. A. (2008). Total internal reflection fluorescence (TIRF) microscopy.. Current Protocols in Microbiology. (pp. Unit 2A.2.1-2A.2.22). John Wiley & Sons, Inc..
- Trache, A., & Meininger, G. A. (2008). Atomic force microscopy (AFM).. Current Protocols in Microbiology. (pp. Unit-2C.2). Wiley.
- Woodman, C., Seawright, J., Shin, S. Y., & Trache, A. (2017). Effect of aging on vascular smooth muscle contractility in skeletal muscle resistance arteries. The FASEB Journal. 31,
- Shin, S. Y., Seawright, J., Trache, A., & Woodman, C. (2017). Exercise-like mechanical stimulation improves myogenic responses in aged skeletal muscle resistance arteries. The FASEB Journal. 31,
- Sreenivasappa, H., Lim, S., Trzeciakowski, J. P., Davidson, M. W., & Trache, A. (2014). Extracellular matrix modulates mechanical characteristics of cell-matrix adhesions. ACS Photonics. 247,
- Sreenivasappa, H., Lim, S., Chaki, S., Trzeciakowski, J. P., Davidson, M. W., Rivera, G., & Trache, A. (2013). RhoA-src crosstalk modulates cell stiffness and adhesion to the matrix. ACS Photonics. 245,
- Trache, A. (2012). From ligand-receptor interaction to whole cell manipulation using atomic force microscopy. ACS Photonics. 243,