Our group is interested in studying genome evolution and adaptation in plants, beetles and other organisms using both experimental and computational approaches.
Research topics in our group include gene evolution via de novo formation, gene duplication and horizontal transfer; genetic basis of drought tolerance and adaptation to aridity in conifers; evolution of the tree-killing habit in bark beetles.
We work in collaboration with scientists at TAMU, the University of Kentucky, Pisa University (Italy), the Texas A&M Forest Service, the ESSM Department Forest Science Laboratory and the USDA Forest Service Southern Research Station.
- The University of Texas at Arlington - (Arlington, Texas, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2007
- Ph.D. in Molecular Biotechnology, University of Pisa - (Pisa, Toscana, Italy) 2006
- M.S. in Biology, University of Pisa - (Pisa, Toscana, Italy) 2001
- Li, J., West, J. B., Hart, A., Wegrzyn, J. L., Smith, M. A., Domec, J., Loopstra, C. A., & Casola, C. (2021). Extensive Variation in Drought-Induced Gene Expression Changes Between Loblolly Pine Genotypes. Frontiers in Genetics. 12, 661440.
- Ruckman, S. N., Jonika, M. M., Casola, C., & Blackmon, H. (2020). Chromosome number evolves at equal rates in holocentric and monocentric clades. PLOS Genetics. 16(10), e1009076-e1009076.
- Nelson, C. D., Crocker, E. V., DeWald, L., Raley, E. M., Adams, J. P., Crane, B. S., ... Merkle, S. A. (2020). Report on the Thirty-Fifth Southern Forest Tree Improvement Conference (SFTIC 2019). Tree Genetics & Genomes. 16(2), 31.
- Xing, Y., Dabney, A. R., Li, X., Wang, G., Gill, C. A., & Casola, C. (2020). SECNVs: A Simulator of Copy Number Variants and Whole-Exome Sequences From Reference Genomes. Frontiers in Genetics. 11, 82.
- Casola, C. (2019). Resequencing of massive pine genomes helps to unlock the genetic underpinning of quantitative traits in conifer trees. NEW PHYTOLOGIST. 221(4), 1669-1671.
- Molecular Cytogenetics to Support Forest Genetics and Tree Breeding awarded by USDA-Forest Services 2015 - 2020
- Li, Jingjia (2020-12). Functional and Evolutionary Dynamics of Genes Involved in Drought Tolerance in Loblolly Pine (Pinus Taeda L.). (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Zhu, Weixi (2020-08). Improving CNV Detection Efficacy in a Nonmodel Organism Through Simulations and Optimization of Parameters in the ExomeDepth Program. (Master's Thesis)