The Fuchs-Young laboratory studies the basic mechanisms of breast carcinogenesis, including the interaction (cross-talk) between the estrogen receptor alpha (ERa), IGF-1 and p53 signaling cascades. Our research utilizes a variety of unique in vivo and in vitro models, including transgenic and humanized mice. An underlying theme of our research is the discovery of bio-physiological determinants of disparities in breast cancer incidence and outcome. Another project focuses on the interdependent regulation of ER and p53, and the role of racially disproportionate p53 polymorphisms in mediating breast cancer development and progression. A new project in the laboratory project is focused on investigating the impact of exposure to metabolic syndrome during different stages of development on metabolic function and mammary cancer risk. This line of research was initiated, in part, due to the obesity epidemic in the US, and the increasing prevalence of obesity in younger children. Initial results show that manipulation of gestational, lactational and post-weaning diet can have very significant effects on susceptibility to mammary carcinogenesis.
- Gunaratna, R. T., Santos, A., Luo, L., Nagi, C., Lambertz, I., Spier, M., Conti, C. J., & Fuchs-Young, R. S. (2019). Dynamic role of the codon 72 p53 single-nucleotide polymorphism in mammary tumorigenesis in a humanized mouse model. Oncogene. 38(18), 3535-3550.
- Lambertz, I. U., Luo, L., Berton, T. R., Schwartz, S. L., Hursting, S. D., Conti, C. J., & Fuchs-Young, R. (2017). Early Exposure to a High Fat/High Sugar Diet Increases the Mammary Stem Cell Compartment and Mammary Tumor Risk in Female Mice. Cancer Prevention Research. 10(10), 553-562.
- Hsiao, H., Santos, A., Howell, D. W., Patterson, J. L., Fuchs-Young, R., & Bondos, S. E. (2016). Culture of Tumorigenic Cells on Protein Fibers Reveals Metastatic Cell Behaviors. Biomacromolecules. 17(11), 3790-3799.
- Tian, J., Lambertz, I., Berton, T. R., Rundhaug, J. E., Kiguchi, K., Shirley, S. H., ... Fuchs‐Young, R. (2012). Transgenic insulin‐like growth factor‐1 stimulates activation of COX‐2 signaling in mammary glands. Molecular Carcinogenesis. 51(12), 973-983.
- Tian, J., Berton, T. R., Shirley, S. H., Lambertz, I., Gimenez-Conti, I. B., DiGiovanni, J., ... Fuchs-Young, R. (2012). Developmental stage determines estrogen receptor alpha expression and non-genomic mechanisms that control IGF-1 signaling and mammary proliferation in mice. J Clin Invest. 122(1), 192-204.
- Fuchs-Young, R. (2009). Preclinical Studies of Raloxifene and Related Compounds. Jordan, V. C., & Furr, B. (Eds.), Hormone Therapy in Breast and Prostate Cancer. (pp. 133-159). Humana Press.
- Bettuzzi, S., Robinson, A., Fuchs-Young, R., & Greene, G. L. (1991). Estrogen and progesterone receptor structure and action in breast cancer cells. Dickson, R. B., & Lippman, M. E. (Eds.), Genes, Oncogenes, and Hormones. (pp. 301-315). Springer US.
- Nutrition, Biostatistics and Bioinformatics Training Grant awarded by DHHS-NIH-National Cancer Institute 2013 - 2021