My research program focuses on contributing to the theory and practice of biological control of arthropod pests in managed ecosystems. Specifically, research has focused on ecology and behavior of natural enemies and pests via field and laboratory studies.
- Fontes-Puebla, A. A., Borrego, E. J., Kolomiets, M. V., & Bernal, J. S. (2021). Maize biochemistry in response to root herbivory was mediated by domestication, spread, and breeding. Planta. 254(4), 70.
- Presa-Parra, E., Hernndez-Rosas, F., Bernal, J. S., Valenzuela-Gonzlez, J. E., Altzar-Molina, A., & Birke, A. (2020). Occurrence, Identification, and Virulence of Native Fungal Pathogens Isolated From Mexican Fruit Fly (Diptera: Tephritidae) Larvae From Soils of Three Cropping Systems.. J Econ Entomol. 113(3), 1088-1096.
- Fontes-Puebla, A. A., & Bernal, J. S. (2020). Resistance and Tolerance to Root Herbivory in Maize Were Mediated by Domestication, Spread, and Breeding.. Front Plant Sci. 11, 223.
- Bernal, J. S., Dvila-Flores, A. M., Medina, R. F., Chen, Y. H., Harrison, K. E., & Berrier, K. A. (2019). Did maize domestication and early spread mediate the population genetics of corn leafhopper?. Insect Sci. 26(3), 569-586.
- Ramirez-Romero, R., Garibay-Bentez, D., Vargas-Ponce, O., Joyce, A., & Bernal, J. S. (2019). Do assortative mating and immigrant inviability help maintain population genetic structuring of an herbivore on a crop and a wild relative?. Insect Sci. 26(2), 283-296.
Repository Documents / Preprints1
- Fontes-Puebla, A. A., Borrego, E. J., Kolomiets, M. V., & Bernal, J. S. (2020). Maize Biochemical Defences against a Rootworm Were Mediated by Domestication, Spread, and Breeding.
- Fontes Puebla, Ana Aurora (2019-12). Effects of Domestication, Spread, and Breeding on Maize Defenses Against Western Corn Rootworm. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Pruter, Luke Steven (2019-11). Integration of Disease and Insect Risk Assessment and Management in Maize. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Pruter, Luke Steven (2019-12). Integration of Disease and Insect Risk Assessment and Management in Maize. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Chinchilla-Ramirez, Milena (2014-12). Mutual Impacts on a Specialist Herbivore and its Host Plants: Variation in Insect Morphology and Plant Tolerance. (Master's Thesis)
- Bellota Villafuerte, Edwin (2013-05). Effects of Life History, Domestication, and Breeding of Zea on the Specialist Herbivore Dalbulus maidis (Hemiptera: Cicadellidae). (Master's Thesis)