My research focuses on the intersections between law, literature, and culture.
education and training
- M.F.A. in , Vermont College of Fine Arts - (Montpelier, Vermont, United States) 2019
- Ph.D. in American Literature, Texas Christian University - (Fort Worth, Texas, United States) 1997
- J.D. in , Baylor University - (Waco, Texas, United States) 1988
- M.A. in English, The University of Texas at San Antonio - (San Antonio, Texas, United States) 1985
- B.A. in English (Magna Cum Laude), Baylor University - (Waco, Texas, United States) 1982
- Ayres, S (2021). Inside the Master's Gates: Resources and Tools to Dismantle Racism and Sexism in Higher Education. Journal of Law in Society. 21(1), 20-62.
- Ayres, S (2020). Trauma-Informed Advocacy: Learning to Empathize with Unspeakable Horrors. William & Mary Journal of Race, Gender, and Social Justice. 26(2), 225-260.
- Ayres, S (2018). Claudia Rankine's 'Citizen': Documenting and Protesting America's Halting March Toward Racial Justice and Equality. Alabama Civil Rights & Civil Liberties Law Review. 9(2), 213-255.
- Ayres, S. (2017). Paternity Un(Certainty): How the Law Surrounding Paternity Challenges Negatively Impacts Family Relationships and Women's Sexuality. Journal of Gender, Race and Justice. 20(2), 237-262.
- Ayres, S., & Manjunath, P (2012). Denial and Concealment of Unwanted Pregnancy: 'A Film Hollywood Dared Not Do'. Journal of Civil Rights and Economic Development. 26(2), 197-221.
- Ayres, P (2019). Teaching Criminal Law Issues in A Lesson Before Dying: “She Knew, As We All Knew, What the Outcome Would Be”. Wharton Lowe, J., & Beavers, H. (Eds.), Approaches to Teaching Gaines’s The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman and Other Works. 194-211. Modern Language Association.
- Ayres, S. (2014). When Women Kill Newborns: The Rhetoric of Vulnerability. Cole, K. (Eds.), Feminist Challenges or Feminist Rhetorics? Locations, Scholarship, Discourse. 83-97. Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Ayres, S. (2004). The Silent Voices of the Law. Meyer, M. J. (Eds.), Literature and Law. 21-36. Brill Rodopi.
- Ayres, S. (1999). Outlaw Against the Thinking Fathers. Herzog, A., & Kaufman, J. (Eds.), 149-162. Palgrave.
recent teaching activities
Texas A&M University; Texas A&M University School of Law; 8500 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-8500