My lab uses X-ray crystallography to better understand the relationship between proteins and ligands. Tiny differences in the structure of a molecule can radically change the interaction between a protein and ligand and we are only begining to understand how many factors play a role in this interaction. By manipulating the individual components of a compound it is possible to create a chemical that binds to the protein better than the natural substrate, and prevent the natural reaction from occurring. This is the basis for rational drug design. Our efforts have lead us to collaborations with other labs and scientists in many disciplines as our approach to directed compound design has applications not only in basic research but also in pesticide development, health research and clinical research.
- Patel, N., O'Malley, T., Zhang, Y., Xia, Y. i., Sunde, B., Flint, L., ... Parish, T. (2017). A Novel 6-Benzyl Ether Benzoxaborole Is Active against Mycobacterium tuberculosis In Vitro. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. 61(9), e01205-e01217.
- Yadon, A. N., Maharaj, K., Adamson, J. H., Lai, Y., Sacchettini, J. C., Ioerger, T. R., Rubin, E. J., & Pym, A. S. (2017). A comprehensive characterization of PncA polymorphisms that confer resistance to pyrazinamide. Nature Communications. 8(1), 588.
- Zhu, M., Harshbarger, W. D., Robles, O., Krysiak, J., Hull, K. G., Cho, S. W., ... Romo, D. (2017). A strategy for dual inhibition of the proteasome and fatty acid synthase with belactosin C-orlistat hybrids. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry. 25(11), 2901-2916.
- Aggarwal, A., Parai, M. K., Shetty, N., Wallis, D., Woolhiser, L., Hastings, C., ... Sacchettini, J. C. (2017). Development of a Novel Lead that Targets M. tuberculosis Polyketide Synthase 13. CELL. 170(2), 249-259.e25.
- Perkowski, E. F., Zulauf, K. E., Weerakoon, D., Hayden, J. D., Ioerger, T. R., Oreper, D., ... Braunstein, M. (2017). Erratum for Perkowski et al., “The EXIT Strategy: an Approach for Identifying Bacterial Proteins Exported during Host Infection”. MBio. 8(3), e00872-e00817.
- Park, Y., Pacitto, A., Bayliss, T., Cleghorn, L., Wang, Z., Hartman, T., ... Boshoff, H. I. (2017). Essential but Not Vulnerable: Indazole Sulfonamides Targeting Inosine Monophosphate Dehydrogenase as Potential Leads against Mycobacterium tuberculosis.. ACS Infectious Diseases. 3(1), 18-33.
- Puckett, S., Trujillo, C., Wang, Z., Eoh, H., Ioerger, T. R., Krieger, I., ... Ehrt, S. (2017). Glyoxylate detoxification is an essential function of malate synthase required for carbon assimilation in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA-BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES. 114(11), e2225-e2232.
- Chandrasekera, N. S., Berube, B. J., Shetye, G., Chettiar, S., O’Malley, T., Manning, A., ... Parish, T. (2017). Improved Phenoxyalkylbenzimidazoles with Activity against Mycobacterium tuberculosis Appear to Target QcrB.. ACS Infectious Diseases. 3(12), 898-916.
- Pham, T. V., Murkin, A. S., Moynihan, M. M., Harris, L., Tyler, P. C., Shetty, N., ... Meek, T. D. (2017). Mechanism-based inactivator of isocitrate lyases 1 and 2 from Mycobacterium tuberculosis. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA-BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES. 114(29), 7617-7622.
- Yang, K., Chang, J., Cui, Z., Li, X., Meng, R., Duan, L., ... Zhang, J. (2017). Structural insights into species-specific features of the ribosome from the human pathogen Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Nucleic acids research. 45(18), gkx785--10894.
- Musa, T. L., Ioerger, T. R., & Sacchettini, J. C. (2009). THE TUBERCULOSIS STRUCTURAL GENOMICS CONSORTIUM: A STRUCTURAL GENOMICS APPROACH TO DRUG DISCOVERY. Advances in protein chemistry and structural biology. STRUCTURAL GENOMICS, PART C. (pp. 41-76).
- Lücke, C., Fushman, D., Ludwig, C., Hamilton, J. A., Sacchettini, J. C., & Rüterjans, H. (1999). A comparative study of the backbone dynamics of two closely related lipid binding proteins: Bovine heart fatty acid binding protein and porcine ileal lipid binding protein. Lipid Binding Proteins within Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry. (pp. 109-121). Springer Us.
- Scapin, G., Young, A., Kromminga, A., Veerkamp, J. H., Gordon, J. I., & Sacchettini, J. C. (1993). High resolution X-ray studies of mammalian intestinal and muscle fatty acid-binding proteins provide an opportunity for defining the chemical nature of fatty acid: protein interactions. Cellular Fatty Acid-Binding Proteins II. (pp. 3-13). Springer Us.
- Cistola, D. P., Sacchettini, J. C., & Gordon, J. I. (1990). 13C NMR studies of fatty acid-protein interactions: comparison of homologous fatty acid-binding proteins produced in the intestinal epithelium. Cellular Fatty Acid-binding Proteins. (pp. 101-110). Springer Us.
- Sacchettini, J. C., Banaszak, L. J., & Gordon, J. I. (1990). Expression of rat intestinal fatty acid binding protein in E. coli and its subsequent structural analysis: a model system for studying the molecular details of fatty acid-protein interaction. Cellular Fatty Acid-binding Proteins. (pp. 81-93). Springer Us.
- Kieser, K. J., Baranowski, C., Chao, M. C., Long, J. E., Sassetti, C. M., Waldor, M. K., ... Rubin, E. J. (2015). Peptidoglycan synthesis in Mycobacterium tuberculosis is organized into networks with varying drug susceptibility. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA-BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES. 112(42), 13087-13092.
- Xie, H., Rao, J., Mire, J., Sacchettini, J. C., Kong, Y., & Cirillo, J. D. (2010). Mtb Bla-specific fluorescent probes for tuberculosis detection and imaging. ACS Photonics. 240,
- Mosser, R., Reddy, M., Bruning, J., Sacchettini, J. C., & Reinhart, G. D. (2010). Redefining the Role of the Quaternary Shift in the Allosteric Inhibition of Bacillus Stearothermophilus Phosphofructokinase. Biophys J. 98(3), 39a-39A.
- Mosser, R., Reddy, M., Sacchettini, J. C., Igumenova, T., & Reinhart, G. D. (2009). A Solution NMR and Crystallographic Study of the Role of the Quaternary Shift in the Allosteric Regulation of Phosphofructokinase from B. stearothermophilus. Biophys J. 96(3), 5a-5A.
- Pai, R., Sacchettini, J. C., & Ioerger, T. R. (2008). Analysis of protein-ligand interactions using localized stereochemical features. 666-673.
- Reddy, M., Sacchettini, J. C., Zhou, N. E., & Mccutchen, B. F. (2019). Compositions and methods for inhibition of mycobacteria.
- Sacchettini, J. C., Miller, M. W., Wallis, D., Zhou, N. E., & Fossum, T. W. (2019). Compositions and methods for drug sensitization of parasites.
- Sacchettini, J., Zhou, N., Baker, D., Maxwell, S., & Wallis, D. (2018). Compositions and methods for drug-sensitization or inhibition of a cancer cell.
- Rao, J., Cirillo, J., Xie, H., & Sacchettini, J. (2017). ?-lactamase substrates and methods of their use for the diagnosis of tuberculosis.
- Rao, J., Cirillo, J. D., Xie, H., & Sacchettini, J. C. (2017). β-lactamase substrates and methods of their use for the diagnosis of tuberculosis.
- Harshbarger, Wayne (2015-05). X-Ray Crystal Structure of Human 20s Proteasome in Complex with Carfilzomib. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Jung, Hunmin (2014-12). Development of Potent and Selective Inhibitors of Mycobacterium Tuberculosis, Plasmodium Falciparum and Staphylococcus Aureus Dihydrofolate Reductase. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Joseph, Sonia (2014-08). The Biochemical Investigation and Isolation of Small Molecule Inhibitors for Two Essential Proteins of Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv: IspD and Wag31. (Master's Thesis)
- Lalgondar, Mallikarjun (2014-05). Structural Studies and Evaluation of Inhibitors of Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv Shikimate Dehydrogenase (MtSDH). (Master's Thesis)