Dr. Turner's research program focuses on determining the impact of dietary constituents on regulatory processes that may protect against carcinogenesis and inflammation in the colon. Her lab is evaluating the effects of fiber sources and the specific phytochemicals contained within them on aspects of cellular proliferation or apoptosis, and microbial/epithelial cell interactions. The goal is to determine how these normal processes are being perturbed by chemical carcinogens, radiation or pro-inflammatory compounds, and how diet may mitigate the damage caused by them. Work conducted in the laboratory is currently funded by the United Sorghum Checkoff Board, the California Dried Plum Board, and the National Space Biomedical Research Institute.
- Ph.D. in Nutrition, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 1995
- M.S. in Animal Nutrition, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 1984
- B.S. in Animal Science, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 1978
- Little-Letsinger, S. E., Turner, N. D., Ford, J. R., Suva, L. J., & Bloomfield, S. A. (2021). Omega-3 fatty acid modulation of serum and osteocyte tumor necrosis factor-α in adult mice exposed to ionizing radiation. Journal of Applied Physiology. 130(3), 627-639.
- Kim, E., Wright, G. A., Zoh, R. S., Patil, B. S., Jayaprakasha, G. K., Callaway, E. S., ... Chapkin, R. S. (2019). Establishment of a multicomponent dietary bioactive human equivalent dose to delete damaged Lgr5+ stem cells using a mouse colon tumor initiation model. European Journal of Cancer Prevention. Publish Ahead of Print(&NA;), &na-389.
- Seidel, D. V., Azcárate-Peril, M. A., Chapkin, R. S., & Turner, N. D. (2017). Shaping functional gut microbiota using dietary bioactives to reduce colon cancer risk. Seminars in Cancer Biology. 46, 191-204.
- Tinder, A. C., Puckett, R. T., Turner, N. D., Cammack, J. A., & Tomberlin, J. K. (2017). Bioconversion of sorghum and cowpea by black soldier fly ( Hermetia illucens (L.)) larvae for alternative protein production. Journal of Insects as Food and Feed. 3(2), 121-130.
- Turner, N. D., & Lloyd, S. K. (2017). Association between red meat consumption and colon cancer: A systematic review of experimental results. EXPERIMENTAL BIOLOGY AND MEDICINE. 242(8), 813-839.
- Little, S. E., Allaway, H. C., Bokhari, R. S., Seidel, D. V., Wahl, K. L., Turner, N. D., ... Bloomfield, S. A. (2019). Can Acute Galactic Cosmic Radiation-induced Bone Loss Be Mitigated By Dietary Modulation Of Inflammatory Cytokines?. MEDICINE AND SCIENCE IN SPORTS AND EXERCISE. 51(6S), 406-406.
- Seidel, D. V., Taddeo, S. S., Azcarate-Peril, M. A., Carroll, R. J., & Turner, N. D. (2017). Dried Plums Modify the Colon Luminal Metabolome in a Rat Model of Colon Carcinogenesis. FASEB J. 31,
- Seidel, D. V., Hicks, K. K., Taddeo, S. S., Azcarate-Peril, M. A., Carroll, R. J., & Turner, N. D. (2016). Dried Plums Modify Fecal Short Chain Fatty Acid Concentrations and Gene Expression in a Rat Model of Colon Carcinogenesis. FASEB J. 30,
- Lloyd, S. K., Ritchie, L. E., Hicks, K. K., Azcarate-Peril, M. A., & Turner, N. D. (2016). Modulation of Colonic Microbiota Populations by Polyphenolic Containing Sorghum Brans May Protect Against Development of Metabolic Disease. FASEB J. 30,
- Kim, E., Davidson, L. A., Patil, B. S., Jayaprakasha, G. K., Callaway, E. S., Turner, N. D., & Chapkin, R. S. (2014). Effects of chemoprotective diets on crypt adult stem cells û the cells of origin of colon cancer (819.1). FASEB J. 28(S1),
- Nutrition, Biostatistics and Bioinformatics Training Grant awarded by DHHS-NIH-National Cancer Institute 2013 - 2021
- Daniels, Wesley Danielle (2014-12). Apigenin and Naringenin Increase Apoptosis and Decrease Proliferation via Transcriptional Regulation. (Master's Thesis)
- Ritchie, Lauren E (2013-12). Diet, Disease State, and the Space Environment Modify the Intestinal Microbiota and Mucosal Environment via Microbiota-directed Alterations in Colonocyte Signalling. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Yuen, Evelyn P (2013-05). Effects of High Dietary Iron and Gamma Radiation on Oxidative Stress and Bone. (Master's Thesis)
- Piefer, Leigh (2012-08). Quercetin and Chlorogenic Acid Mitigate DSS-Induced Changes in Expression of Select Pro-Inflammatory Cytokines and Short Chain Fatty Acid Transporter Genes. (Master's Thesis)
- Swift, Sibyl Nichole (2010-08). Energy Restriction Effects on Estrogen Status and the Skeletal Response to Loading. (Doctoral Dissertation)