My research interests focus on nonlinear dynamics of offshore platforms; wave mechanics and free-surface flows; nonlinear stochastic analysis; computational fluid dynamics; hydroelasticity; floating breakwaters; beach erosion; multi-hull-riser-mooring coupled dynamic analysis; liquid-sloshing & vessel-motion interactions, ocean renewable energy (floating offshore wind turbine) & wave energy conversion); smart offshore platforms.
- Ph.D. in Ocean Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology - (Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States) 1989
- M.S. in Naval Architecture, Seoul National University - (Seoul, South Korea) 1983
- B.S. in Naval Architecture, Seoul National University - (Seoul, South Korea) 1981
- Jang, H. K., Park, S., Kim, M. H., Kim, K. H., & Hong, K. (2019). Effects of heave plates on the global performance of a multi-unit floating offshore wind turbine. RENEWABLE ENERGY. 134, 526-537.
- Kim, S. W., & Kim, M. H. (2019). Feed-forward control for dynamic positioning in random waves based on quadratic impulse function and real-time wave measurement. APPLIED OCEAN RESEARCH. 92, 101933-101933.
- Jang, H., & Kim, M. (2019). Mathieu instability of Arctic Spar by nonlinear time-domain simulations. OCEAN ENGINEERING. 176, 31-45.
- Jin, C., Kim, H., Kim, M., & Kim, K. (2019). Monitoring-System Development for a Bottom-Set Gillnet through Time-Domain Dynamic Simulations. Applied Sciences (Switzerland). 9(6), 1210-1210.
- Kim, J., Cho, I. H., & Kim, M. H. (2019). Numerical calculation and experiment of a heaving-buoy wave energy converter with a latching control. Ocean Systems Engineering. 9(1), 1-19.
- Kim, M. H. (2012). Hull/mooring/riser coupled spar motion analysis: Sensitivity against methodological/environmental/empirical parameters. Spar Platforms: Technology and Analysis Methods. (pp. 78-107). American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Jin, C., Choi, J., Kim, M. H., & Kim, K. (2019). Dynamic Responses of a Bottom-Set Gillnet Anchored to Seafloor Using Measured Environmental Data in the Southwest Coast of Korea.
- Chung, W. C., Kang, H. Y., & Kim, M. H. (2019). Numerical study on opb/ipb interlink angle with underwater chain stopper system.
- Jin, C., & Kim, M. H. (2018). Dynamic responses of a moored submerged floating tunnel under moving loads and wave excitations. PROCEEDINGS OF THE SIXTEENTH (2006) INTERNATIONAL OFFSHORE AND POLAR ENGINEERING CONFERENCE, VOL 3. 2018-June, 278-283.
- Zainuddin, Z., Kim, M. H., Kang, H. Y., & Bhat, S. (2018). Incorporating magneto-rheological damper into riser tensioner system to restrict riser stroke in moderate-size semisubmersibles. Offshore Technology Conference, Proceedings. 3, 2273-2284.
- Jin, C. K., Lee, J. Y., Kim, H. S., & Kim, M. H. (2017). Dynamic responses of a submerged floating tunnel in survival wave and seismic excitations. PROCEEDINGS OF THE SIXTEENTH (2006) INTERNATIONAL OFFSHORE AND POLAR ENGINEERING CONFERENCE, VOL 3. 547-551.
- Jang, Hakun (2018-12). Numerical Simulation of Arctic Offshore Structures Interacting with Level Ice and Nonlinear Time-Domain Simulations of Arctic Spar. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Zhi, Yuanzhe (2018-05). An Extended Least Squares Method to Separate the Incident and Reflected Wave Fields for Long-Crested and Short-Crested Waves. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Kim, Hyoungchul (2018-05). Global Performances and Structural Health Monitoring Method of Single Unit or Multi Units Floating Offshore Wind Turbines. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Lee, Jooyoung (2017-05). Dynamic Response Analysis of Submerged Floating Tunnels under Hydrodynamic Loads and Seismic Excitations. (Master's Thesis)
- Kim, Se Won (2016-12). Eco-Friendly Dynamic Positioning Algorithm Development. (Doctoral Dissertation)