My expertise and research focuses the influence of the acculturation process on Mexican American mental health and educational disparities; marianismo and Latina mental health; and scale development and validity of cultural constructs.
education and training
- M.S. in Counseling Psychology, University of Utah - (Salt Lake City, Utah, United States)
- Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology, University of Utah - (Salt Lake City, Utah, United States)
- B.A. in Psychology, University Children's Hospital Basel - (Basel, Switzerland)
- Castillo, L. G., González, P., Merz, E. L., Nuñez, A., Castañeda, S. F., Buelna, C., ... Gallo, L. C. (2020). Factorial invariance of the Marianismo Beliefs Scale among Latinos in the Hispanic Community Health Study/Study of Latinos Sociocultural Ancillary Study. Journal of Clinical Psychology.
- Heads, A. M., Glover, A. M., Castillo, L. G., Blozis, S., Kim, S. Y., & Ali, S. (2020). Perceived Discrimination and Risk Behaviors in African American Students: the Potential Moderating Roles of Emotion Regulation and Ethnic Socialization. Journal of racial and ethnic health disparities. 1-13.
- Gonzalez, M., Castillo, L. G., Montague, M. L., & Lynch, P. S. (2019). Predictors of College Enrollment Among Latinx High School Students. Journal of Hispanic Higher Education. 18(4), 410-421.
- Heads, A., Glover, A. M., Castillo, L. G., Blozis, S., & Kim, S. Y. (2018). Dimensions of ethnic identity as protective factors for substance use and sexual risk behaviors in African American college students. Journal of the American College Health Association. 66(3), 00-00.
- Cano, M., Schwartz, S. J., Castillo, L. G., Unger, J. B., Huang, S., Zamboanga, B. L., ... Szapocznik, J. (2016). Health Risk Behaviors and Depressive Symptoms Among Hispanic Adolescents: Examining Acculturation Discrepancies and Family Functioning. Journal of Family Psychology. 30(2), 254-265.
recent teaching activities
chaired theses and dissertations
- Lopez, Araceli (2016-08). \"?Es Dif?cil Ser Mujer? Depression, Gender Role Beliefs, and Acculturation: Testing the Use of a Culturally Grounded Intervention to Reduce Depressive Symptoms Among Spanish-Speaking Latinas. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Lopez, Araceli (2016-08). “¿Es Difícil Ser Mujer? Depression, Gender Role Beliefs, and Acculturation: Testing the Use of a Culturally Grounded Intervention to Reduce Depressive Symptoms Among Spanish-Speaking Latinas. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Nguyen, Huynh Mai Thi (2015-12). Academic Expectations Stress in Asian American Undergraduate Students - A Revalidation Study. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Rodriguez, Kimberly Margaret (2015-08). Disentangling the Interaction Effects Between Bicultural Stress and Self-Esteem on Depression Among Mexican American Adolescents. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Piña-Watson, Brandy Michelle (2014-08). The Influence of Caregiver-Child Acculturation Gap on Mexican American Adolescents' Depression and Suicidality. (Doctoral Dissertation)
Texas A&M University; Educational Psychology; 4225 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4225