Develop a competitive and extramurally funded research program in the area of crop water use, water use efficiency, and abiotic and biotic stress resistance in major field crops in the Texas High Plains. The overall goal of my research program is to provide selection tools for breeders and geneticists and management tools for agronomists and producers, through better understanding the physiological mechanisms of crop performance under stress conditions. The major research focuses include understanding physiological and molecular mechanisms of drought tolerance, identifying plant traits conferring to stress tolerance, understanding the interactions of abiotic and biotic stresses, evaluating and developing field phenotyping tools, and developing management strategies under stress conditions. Advise graduate student research.
- Ph.D. in Agronomy (Agricultural Meteorology), University of Nebraska System - (Lincoln, Nebraska, United States) 2000
- M.S. in Agriculture, West Texas A&M University - (Canyon, Texas, United States) 1995
- M.S. in Plant Eco-physiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences - (Beijing, Beijing, China) 1988
- B.S. in Biology, Shaanxi Normal University - (Xi'an, China) 1985
- Shrestha, R., Thapa, S., Xue, Q., Stewart, B. A., Blaser, B. C., Ashiadey, E. K., Rudd, J. C., & Devkota, R. N. (2020). Winter wheat response to climate change under irrigated and dryland conditions in the US southern High Plains. Journal of Soil & Water Conservation. 75(1), 112-122.
- Dong, X., Peng, B., Liu, X., Qin, K., Xue, Q., & Leskovar, D. I. (2019). AN AUTOMATED CALCULATION OF PLANT ROOT DISTRIBUTION PARAMETERS BASED ON ROOT LENGTH DENSITY DATA. Applied Ecology and Environmental Research. 17(2), 3545-3552.
- Chen, Y., Marek, G. W., Marek, T. H., Xue, Q., Brauer, D. K., & Srinivasan, R. (2019). Assessing Soil and Water Assessment Tool Plant Stress Algorithms Using Full and Deficit Irrigation Treatments. AGRONOMY JOURNAL. 111(3), 1266-1280.
- Liu, X., Feakins, S. J., Dong, X., Xue, Q., Han, J., Marek, T., ... Ibrahim, A. (2019). Evaluating Leaf Wax and Bulk Leaf Carbon Isotope Surrogates for Water Use Efficiency and Grain Yield in Winter Wheat. CROP SCIENCE. 59(2), 718-732.
- Chen, Y., Marek, G. W., Marek, T. H., Gowda, P. H., Xue, Q., Moorhead, J. E., ... Heflin, K. R. (2019). Multisite evaluation of an improved SWAT irrigation scheduling algorithm for corn (Zea mays L.) production in the US Southern Great Plains. ENVIRONMENTAL MODELLING & SOFTWARE. 118, 23-34.
- Xue, Q., Rudd, J., Bell, J., Marek, T., & Liu, S. (2016). Improving water management in winter wheat. Langridge, P. (Eds.), Achieving Sustainable Cultivation of Wheat Volume 2 Cultivation Techniques. (pp. 63-84). Burleigh Dodds Science Publishing Limited.
- Sheng, Z., Wang, C., Gastelum, J., Zhao, S., & Bordovsky, J. (2012). Desired future conditions for groundwater availability in the high plains aquifer system. Soil Water and Agronomic Productivity. (pp. 85-116). CRC Press.
- Lazar, M. D., Piccinni, G., Xue, Q., Wang, W. C., Salisbury, C. D., & Saulescu, N. N. (1997). Yield variation among closely-related wheat lines under water stress is related to root length.. Plant Physiol. 114(3), 464-464.