Develop a competitive and extramurally funded research program in the area of crop water use, water use efficiency, and abiotic and biotic stress resistance in major field crops in the Texas High Plains. The overall goal of my research program is to provide selection tools for breeders and geneticists and management tools for agronomists and producers, through better understanding the physiological mechanisms of crop performance under stress conditions. The major research focuses include understanding physiological and molecular mechanisms of drought tolerance, identifying plant traits conferring to stress tolerance, understanding the interactions of abiotic and biotic stresses, evaluating and developing field phenotyping tools, and developing management strategies under stress conditions. Advise graduate student research.
- Ph.D. in Agronomy (Agricultural Meteorology), University of Nebraska System - (Lincoln, Nebraska, United States) 2000
- M.S. in Agriculture, West Texas A&M University - (Canyon, Texas, United States) 1995
- M.S. in Plant Eco-physiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences - (Beijing, Beijing, China) 1988
- B.S. in Biology, Shaanxi Normal University - (Xi'an, China) 1985
- Dhakal, S., Liu, X., Girard, A., Chu, C., Yang, Y., Wang, S., ... Liu, S. (2021). Genetic dissection of end‐use quality traits in two widely adapted wheat cultivars ‘TAM 111’ and ‘TAM 112’. CROP SCIENCE.
- Jiang, W., Thapa, S., Jessup, K. E., Hao, B., Hou, X., Marek, T., ... Xue, Q. (2020). Corn response to later than traditional planting dates in the Texas High Plains. CROP SCIENCE. 60(2), 1004-1020.
- Thapa, S., Xue, Q., Marek, T. H., Xu, W., Porter, D., & Jessup, K. E. (2020). Corn production under restricted irrigation in the Texas High Plains. AGRONOMY JOURNAL. 112(2), 1190-1200.
- Kothari, K., Ale, S., Attia, A., Rajan, N., Xue, Q., & Munster, C. L. (2019). Potential climate change adaptation strategies for winter wheat production in the Texas High Plains. AGRICULTURAL WATER MANAGEMENT. 225, 105764-105764.
- Olanrewaju, S., Rajan, N., Ibrahim, A., Rudd, J. C., Liu, S., Sui, R., Jessup, K. E., & Xue, Q. (2019). Using aerial imagery and digital photography to monitor growth and yield in winter wheat. International Journal of Remote Sensing. 40(18), 1-25.
- Xue, Q., Rudd, J., Bell, J., Marek, T., & Liu, S. (2016). Improving water management in winter wheat. Langridge, P. (Eds.), Achieving Sustainable Cultivation of Wheat Volume 2 Cultivation Techniques. (pp. 63-84). Burleigh Dodds Science Publishing Limited.
- Sheng, Z., Wang, C., Gastelum, J., Zhao, S., & Bordovsky, J. (2012). Soil Water and Agronomic Productivity. Soil Water and Agronomic Productivity. (pp. 85-116). CRC Press.
- Lazar, M. D., Piccinni, G., Xue, Q., Wang, W. C., Salisbury, C. D., & Saulescu, N. N. (1997). Yield variation among closely-related wheat lines under water stress is related to root length.. Plant Physiology. 114(3), 464-464.