Our research involves trying to understand chemical reactivity on a microscopic quantum-state resolved level. We focus on isolated molecules in the gas-phase to develop a detailed description of the factors which influence the rates, energy disposal, and final products in a reaction. In order to address these issues we use lasers to carefully control the preparation of excited molecules and to probe all the properties of the reaction products. chemical reactivity on a microscopic quantum-state resolved level. Our specific interests include understanding atmospheric photochemistry, the tropospheric oxidation of biogenic hydrocarbons, and laser diagnostic development for flow field characterization. The laboratory contains equipment to perform state-of-the-art experiments in chemical dynamics and kinetics and is associated with several interdisciplinary University Research Centers. Our photochemistry experiments combine molecular beam and state-resolved ionization techniques with position-sensitive ion imaging to determine the identity and energy content of photochemical products in the absence of secondary collisions. Studies focus on the photodissociation of jet-cooled radicals of atmospheric relevance and preliminary results have already stimulated collaboration with several theoretical groups. The experiments provide a stringent test for modern theory and allow assessment of the impact that the photochemistry has on atmospheric modeling.
- Gunthardt, C. E., Wallace, C. J., Hall, G. E., Field, R. W., & North, S. W. (2019). Anomalous Intensities in the 2+1 REMPI Spectrum of the E (1)Pi-X (1)Sigma(+) Transition of CO. The Journal of Physical Chemistry A. 123(13), 2780-2788.
- Wallace, C. J., Gunthardt, C. E., McBane, G. C., & North, S. W. (2019). Empirical assignment of absorbing electronic state contributions to OCS photodissociation product state populations from 214 to 248 nm. CHEMICAL PHYSICS. 520, 1-7.
- Gunthardt, C. E., Aardema, M. N., Hall, G. E., & North, S. W. (2019). Evidence for lambda doublet propensity in the UV photodissociation of ozone. The Journal of Chemical Physics. 151(22), 224302-224302.
- Winner, J. D., Pan, F., McIlvoy, M. H., Bowersox, R., & North, S. W. (2019). Temperature perturbation related to the invisible ink vibrationally excited nitric oxide monitoring (VENOM) technique: a simulation study. Appl Opt. 58(10), 2702-2712.
- Warter, M. L., Gunthardt, C. E., Wei, W., McBane, G. C., & North, S. W. (2018). Nascent O-2 (a(1) Delta(g), v=0, 1) rotational distributions from the photodissociation of jet-cooled O-3 in the Hartley band. The Journal of Chemical Physics. 149(13), 134309-134309.
- Sánchez-González, R., & North, S. W. (2017). Nitric Oxide Laser-Induced Fluorescence Imaging Methods and Their Application to Study High-Speed Flows. Frontiers and Advances in Molecular Spectroscopy. (pp. 599-630). Elsevier.
- Prophet, A., Winner, J., North, S., & Sanchez-Gonzalez, R. (2018). Characterization of high-performance fuel injectors for pulsed gas expansions. ACS Photonics. 255,
- Kuszynski, J., West, N., Winner, J., Buen, Z., Bowersox, R., & North, S. (2018). Collisional energy transfer of highly vibrationally excited C6H6 at low temperatures. ACS Photonics. 255,
- Wallace, C., Gunthardt, C., & North, S. (2018). Ion imaging studies of the photodissociation of OCS near 214 nm. ACS Photonics. 256,
- Warter, M., Gunthardt, C., Wei, W., McBane, G., & North, S. (2018). Understanding the 'odd' behavior of the nascent O2 (a 1 Delta g, v=0, 1) rotational distributions from the photodissociation of jet-cooled O3 in the Hartley band. ACS Photonics. 256,
- Johnstone, J., Wei, W., Wallace, C., & North, S. (2017). Photodissociation dynamics of OCS at 230nm. ACS Photonics. 253,
- Warter, Michelle L. (2016-08). The \"Odd\" Behavior of Ozone Photodissociation. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Pan, Feng (2016-05). Advanced Laser Diagnostics Development for Stereoscopic Imaging of Gaseous High Speed Flows. (Master's Thesis)
- Grubb, Michael Patrick (2012-05). Roaming in the Dark: Deciphering the Mystery of NO3 --> NO + O2 Photolysis. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Sanchez-Gonzalez, Rodrigo (2012-05). Advanced Laser Diagnostics Development for the Characterization of Gaseous High Speed Flows. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Geidosch, Justine Nicole (2011-08). Ambient Measurements of the NOx Reservoir Species N2O5 using Cavity Ring-down Spectroscopy. (Doctoral Dissertation)