The Fitzsimmons group focuses on inorganic chemical oceanography, particularly trace metal biogeochemistry. We specialize in environmental analytical chemistry measurements, and our research impact centers on 1) micronutrient metal cycling in the open ocean, 2) marine trace metal physicochemical speciation and stable isotope ratios, and 3) heavy metal pollutant cycling in coastal Texas waters.
- Rutgers University - (New Brunswick, New Jersey, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2014
- Ph.D. in Chemical Oceanography, Massachusetts Institute of Technology - (Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States) 2013
- B.A. in Chemistry and Biology (with a specialization in Marine Science), Boston University - (Boston, Massachusetts, United States) 2008
- Jenkins, W. J., Hatta, M., Fitzsimmons, J. N., Schlitzer, R., Lanning, N. T., Shiller, A., ... Cahill, K. L. (2020). An intermediate-depth source of hydrothermal 3He and dissolved iron in the North Pacific. EARTH AND PLANETARY SCIENCE LETTERS. 539, 116223-116223.
- Kadko, D., Aguilar-Islas, A., Buck, C. S., Fitzsimmons, J. N., Landing, W. M., Shiller, A., ... Anderson, R. F. (2020). Sources, fluxes and residence times of trace elements measured during the U.S. GEOTRACES East Pacific Zonal Transect. Marine Chemistry. 222, 103781-103781.
- Hayes, C. T., Fitzsimmons, J. N., Jensen, L. T., Lanning, N. T., Hatta, M., McGee, D., & Boyle, E. A. (2020). A Lagrangian View of Trace Elements and Isotopes in the North Pacific. Journal of Geophysical Research Oceans. 125(3),
- Jensen, L. T., Wyatt, N. J., Landing, W. M., & Fitzsimmons, J. N. (2020). Assessment of the stability, sorption, and exchangeability of marine dissolved and colloidal metals. Marine Chemistry. 220, 103754-103754.
- Carvalho, F., Fitzsimmons, J. N., Couto, N., Waite, N., Gorbunov, M., Kohut, J., ... Schofield, O. (2020). Testing the Canyon Hypothesis: Evaluating light and nutrient controls of phytoplankton growth in penguin foraging hotspots along the West Antarctic Peninsula. LIMNOLOGY AND OCEANOGRAPHY. 65(3), 455-470.
- De Salvo, Kimber Marie (2018-08). Using Flow Field-Flow Fractionation Coupled to Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry to Study the Physicochemical Speciation of Colloidal Iron in Seawater. (Master's Thesis)