My research is focused on genomics and systems biology in crop plants, particularly development of genomic and systems biological knowledge and new or advanced technologies for enhanced crop research and breeding. These include re-establishing of the molecular basis and mechanisms of genetics and biology; cloning and characterization of genes and quantitative trait loci (QTLs) controlling traits of agronomic importance; deciphering of the molecular mechanisms of biological phenomena or traits of importance such as quantitative genetics, epigenetics, crop yield, crop quality, heterosis and plant polyploidization; and development of molecular toolkits and associated pipelines for next-generation enhanced crop breeding such as gene-based breeding and crop production such as molecular precision agriculture.
- Mugabe, D., Coyne, C. J., Piaskowski, J., Zheng, P., Ma, Y. u., Landry, E., ... Abbo, S. (2019). Quantitative Trait Loci for Cold Tolerance in Chickpea. CROP SCIENCE. 59(2), 573-582.
- Zhang, M., Cui, Y., Liu, Y., Xu, W., Sze, S., Murray, S. C., Xu, S., & Zhang, H. (2019). Accurate prediction of maize grain yield using its contributing genes for gene-based breeding. Genomics. 112(1), 225-236.
- Zhang, X., Yuan, J., Sun, Y., Li, S., Gao, Y. i., Yu, Y., ... Xiang, J. (2019). Penaeid shrimp genome provides insights into benthic adaptation and frequent molting. Nature Communications. 10(1), 356.
- Song, J., Arif, M., Zhang, M., Sze, S., & Zhang, H. (2019). Phenotypic and molecular dissection of grain quality using the USDA rice mini-core collection. Food Chemistry. 284, 312-322.
- Zhang, M., Liu, Y., Chang, C., Zhi, H., Wang, S., Xu, W., Smith, C. W., & Zhang, H. (2018). Quantification of gene expression while taking into account RNA alternative splicing. Genomics. 111(6), 1517-1528.
- Mcphee, K. E., Croser, J., Sarmah, B., Ali, S. S., Amla, D. V., Rajesh, P. N., Zhang, H. B., & Higgins, T. J. (2007). Development of transgenics in chickpea. Chickpea Breeding and Management. (pp. 458-473).
- Ren, C., Xu, Z., Sun, S., Lee, M., Wu, C., Scheuring, C., & Zhang, H. (2005). Genomic DNA Libraries and Physical Mapping. The Handbook of Plant Genome Mapping. (pp. 173-213). Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA.
- Wu, C., Sun, S., Lee, M., Xu, Z., Ren, C., Santos, T. S., & Zhang, H. (2005). Whole‐Genome Physical Mapping: An Overview on Methods for DNA Fingerprinting. The Handbook of Plant Genome Mapping. (pp. 257-283). Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA.
- Hess, G., Byrne, D. H., & Zhang, H. (2007). TOWARD POSITIONAL CLONING OF EVERBLOOMING GENE (EVB) IN PLANTS: A BAC LIBRARY OF ROSA CHINENSIS CV. 'OLD BLUSH'. V INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON SEED, TRANSPLANT AND STAND ESTABLISHMENT OF HORTICULTURAL CROPS. 751(751), 169-174.
- Large-scale Cloning of Genes Controlling Agronomic Traits and Deciphering of the Molecular Bases Underlying Yield and Quality to Develop a Gene-based Breeding System in Important Crops awarded by National Institute of Food and Agriculture - (Washington D.C., District of Columbia, United States) 2014 - 2019
- Harvey, Lorin Michael (2016-05). QTL Analysis of Yield Components in Cotton. (Master's Thesis)
- Hugie, Kari L. (2015-12). Evaluation of Conventional and Marker-Assisted Breeding Methods for the Improvement of Fiber Quality in Gossypium spp.. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Liu, Yun Hua (2014-08). Molecular Basis of Quantitative Genetics Revealed by Cloning and Analysis of 474 Genes Controlling Fiber Length in Cotton. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Zhi, Hui (2010-12). Molecular Basis of Heterosis in Maize: Genetic Correlation and 3-Dimensional Network Between Gene Expression and Grain Yield Trait Heterosis. (Master's Thesis)
- Wu, Yen Hsuan (2009-05). Genetic Variation and Evolution of the Size of NBS-LRR-Encoding Gene Family in Cotton and Related Species (Gossypium L.). (Master's Thesis)