Development and pathogenesis share the common features of responding to environmental conditions to execute a program of gene expression resulting in new cell types.
An important question in plant pathogenesis is to understanding the functions of pathogen effectors and their host target(s). Fungal effectors play roles in suppressing host defense mechanisms, however, other biotrophic functions, such as manipulating host physiology to promote nutrient acquisition and cell-to-cell movement are possible. Therefore, identification of the full set of fungal proteins secreted during host invasion is a major effort in plant pathology research. Candidate effectors are generally identified by virtue of i) their expression in planta ii) assessing their activity on the host using purified proteins or by manipulating expression iii) detecting the rapid evolution of effector genes due to selective pressure from the host. My lab is using a combination of these approaches to identify and characterize a gene family of putative effectors from Magnaporthe oryzae, the rice blast fungus and define interactions with monocot hosts.
- Stanford University - (Stanford, California, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1991
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Purdue University - (West Lafayette, Indiana, United States) 1988
- B.S. in BS Biochemistry, BA Microbiology, Indiana University Bloomington - (Bloomington, Indiana, United States) 1983
- Han, Y., Song, L., Peng, C., Liu, X., Liu, L., Zhang, Y., ... Lu, G. (2019). A Magnaporthe Chitinase Interacts with a Rice Jacalin-related Lectin to Promote Host Colonization.. Plant Physiol. pp.01594.2018-pp.01594.2018.
- Zhang, L., Zhang, D., Chen, Y., Ye, W., Lin, Q., Lu, G., ... Wang, Z. (2019). Magnaporthe oryzae CK2 Accumulates in Nuclei, Nucleoli, at Septal Pores and Forms a Large Ring Structure in Appressoria, and Is Involved in Rice Blast Pathogenesis. Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 9, 113.
- Zhong, Z., Chen, M., Lin, L., Han, Y., Bao, J., Tang, W., ... Wang, Z. (2018). Population genomic analysis of the rice blast fungus reveals specific events associated with expansion of three main clades. ISME Journal. 1-12.
- WANG, B. H., Ebbole, D. J., & WANG, Z. H. (2017). The arms race between Magnaporthe oryzae and rice: Diversity and interaction of Avr and R genes. JOURNAL OF INTEGRATIVE AGRICULTURE. 16(12), 2746-2760.
- Matar, K., Chen, X., Chen, D., Anjago, W. M., Norvienyeku, J., Lin, Y., ... Lu, G. D. (2017). WD40-repeat protein MoCreC is essential for carbon repression and is involved in conidiation, growth and pathogenicity of Magnaporthe oryzae. Curr Genet. 63(4), 685-696.
- Dean, R. A., Mitchell, T., Kulkarni, R., Donofrio, N., Powell, A., Oh, Y. Y., ... Birren, B. W. (2008). The rice blast story: From genome sequence to function. Exploitation of Fungi: Symposium of the British Mycological Society Held at the University of Manchester September 2005. (pp. 10-22).
- Ebbole, D. J., Han, Y., Chen, M. L., Zheng, W., Wu, X., Lu, G., & Wang, Z. H. (2017). Analysis of a virulence gene family of Pyricularia from cereal and grass hosts. PHYTOPATHOLOGY. 107(12), 82-82.
- Chen, M. L., Han, Y., Zheng, W., Wu, X., Lu, G., Wang, Z., & Ebbole, D. J. (2017). Characterization of a 21 member effector gene family from the rice blast fungus. PHYTOPATHOLOGY. 107(12), 83-83.
- Lu, G., Wolf, H., Shang, Y., Filippi, C., Bhattarai, K., Li, D., & Ebbole, D. J. (2009). Developing Resources for Analysis of Secreted Proteins from Magnaporthe oryzae. 113- .
- Chen, S., Gowda, M., Venu, R. C., Songkumarn, P., Park, C. H., Bellizzi, M., Ebbole, D. J., & Wang, G. (2009). Isolation and Functional Analysis of Putative Effectors from Magnaporthe oryzae Using Integrated Genomic Approaches. 93- .
- Ebbole, D. (2000). Neurospora: A new (?) model system for microbial genetics. Neurospora 2000, Asilomar, CA, USA, 9-12 March 2000. Trends in Genetics. 16(7), 291-292.
- Rerngsamran, Panan (2005-05). Functional analysis of fluffy, a transcriptional regulator for conidial development in Neurospora crassa. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Filippi, Marta Cristina (2004-08). Signalling pathway in appressorium formation in Magnaporthe grisea. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Xie, Xin (2003-08). Sugar sensing and regulation of conidiation in Neurospora crassa. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Shang, Yue (2003-05). Analysis of secreted proteins of Magnaporthe grisea and the search for protein effectors. (Master's Thesis)
- Li, Dan (2003-05). A map kinase pathway essential for mating and contributing to asexual development in Neurospora Crassa. (Doctoral Dissertation)