My research focuses on the deformation and alteration reactions during faulting, the importance to earthquake nucleation and rupture propagation in the continental crust, mechanisms of creep compaction of reservoir rock, and the mechanics of fold-fault interaction in anisotropic rock.
- Ph.D. in Geology, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 1992
- M.S. in Geology, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 1985
- B.S. in Geology, University of California Los Angeles - (Los Angeles, California, United States) 1979
- Barbery, M. R., Chester, F. M., & Chester, J. S. (2021). Characterizing the Distribution of Temperature and Normal Stress on Flash Heated Granite Surfaces at Seismic Slip Rates. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth. 126(5),
- Ding, J., Chester, F. M., Chester, J. S., Shen, X., & Arson, C. (2021). Coupled Brittle and Viscous Micromechanisms Produce Semibrittle Flow, Grain‐Boundary Sliding, and Anelasticity in Salt‐Rock. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth. 126(2),
- Shen, X., Ding, J., Lordkipanidze, I., Arson, C., Chester, J. S., & Chester, F. M. (2021). Fabric evolution and crack propagation in salt during consolidation and cyclic compression tests. Acta Geotechnica. 16(6), 1679-1697.
- Ding, J., Chester, F. M., & Chester, J. S. (2021). Test of the Effective Stress Law for Semibrittle Deformation Using Isostatic and Triaxial Load Paths. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth. 126(5),
- Shen, X., Ding, J., Arson, C., Chester, J. S., & Chester, F. M. (2020). Micromechanical modeling for rate‐dependent behavior of salt rock under cyclic loading. International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics. 45(1), 28-44.
- Chester, F. M., Chester, J. S., Kirschner, D. L., Schulz, S. E., & Evans, J. P. (2004). Structure of large-displacement, strike-slip fault zones in the brittle continental crust. Karner, G. D., Taylor, B., Driscoll, N. W., & Kohlstedt, D. L. (Eds.), Rheology and Deformation of the Lithosphere at Continental Margins. (pp. 223-260). Columbia University Press.
- Xianda, S., Arson, C., Ding, J., Chester, F. M., & Chester, J. S. (2017). Experimental characterization of microstructure development for calculating fabric and stiffness tensors in salt rock. 3, 2101-2106.
- Ding, J., Chester, F. M., Chester, J. S., Shen, X., & Arson, C. (2017). Microcrack network development in salt-rock during cyclic loading at low confining pressure. 2, 1082-1087.
- Gibson, R. L., Efendiev, Y., Chester, J., & Cho, Y. (2017). Multiscale Seismic Models of Complex Fracture Networks.
- Ding, J., Chester, F. M., Chester, J. S., Zhu, C., & Arson, C. (2016). Mechanical behavior and microstructure development in consolidation of nominally dry granular salt. 4, 3350-3356.
- Zhu, C., Pouya, A., Arson, C., Ding, J., Chester, F. M., & Chester, J. S. (2016). Micro-mechanical analysis of salt creep tests with a joint-enriched Finite Element model. 2, 1272-1281.
- Chester Receives 2019 Paul G. Silver Award for Outstanding Scientific Service Eos September 28, 2020
- Judith Chester Named AGU Section Awardee Texas A&M Univesity College of Geosciences News February 12, 2020
- 2019 AGU Section Awardees and Named Lecturers Eos Science News by AGU July 31, 2019
- Collaborative Research: Salt Rock Microstructure and Deformation awarded by National Science Foundation 2014 - 2018
- Mollie B. & Richard A. Williford Professor in Petroleum Geology (2019-2023) conferred by Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) - College of Geosciences 2019
- Xu, Guangjian (2019-08). Mechanical Stratigraphic Model of the Eagle Ford Formation, South and West Texas. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Ding, Jihui (2019-05). Grain Boundary Processes, Anelasticity, and Test of the Effective Stress Law for Semibrittle Deformation of Synthetic Salt-Rocks. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Elizondo Ugarte, Daniel Fernando (2016-12). Subsidiary Fault Kinematics and Displacement Transfer at the Mill Creek-Mission Creek Fault Stepover, San Bernardino Mountains, California. (Master's Thesis)
- Sasser, Jr., M. Stuart (2016-05). Structural Style and Tectonic Evolution of the Northern Maverick Basin. (Master's Thesis)
- French, Melodie Ellen Lynds (2014-12). Microphysical Controls on the Strength and Transport Properties of Fault Zones. (Doctoral Dissertation)