I am interested in all aspects of undergraduate education, including teaching, research, and mentoring. My current activities include teaching the Chemistry 481 seminar course, which is now a writing-intensive "W" course. I have extensive experience in writing instruction in both chemistry and general education courses, and a long-standing interest in improving oral and written scientific communication. I have also taught physical chemistry lecture and laboratory and hope to have the opportunity to participate in the physical chemistry offerings at Texas A&M University in the near future. My own research interests are in the area of solid-state NMR of membrane systems, where I have studied different types of intermolecular interactions. I am also interested in NMR diffusion measurements in membrane systems and using NMR to study novel supported bilayers. I plan to continue my research efforts through collaboration, both within Texas A&M and with scientists at other institutions.
- Soubias, O., Kimura, T., Gaede, H. C., Yeliseev, A. A., & Gawrisch, K (2016). Anodic Aluminum Oxide Nanopores as Substrate for Functional and Structural Studies on G Protein-Coupled Membrane Receptors. 98(3), 292a-292a.
- Gaede, H. C., Yau, W., & Gawrisch, K (2011). Electrostatic contributions to indole-lipid interactions.. 109(26), 13014-13023.
- Batteas, J. D., Cremer, P. S., Gaede, H. C., Hilty, C., North, S. W., & Son, D. H (2007). Assessment of reforms in the physical chemistry laboratory. 234,
- Gawrisch, K., Gaede, H. C., Mihailescu, M., & White, S. H (2007). Hydration of POPC bilayers studied by 1H-PFG-MAS-NOESY and neutron diffraction.. 36(4-5), 281-291.
- Gaede, H. C (2013). H-1 NMR MAS Investigations of Phase Behavior in Lipid Membranes. NMR SPECTROSCOPY IN THE UNDERGRADUATE CURRICULUM. 1128, 245-257.
- Gaede, H. C (2013). Selecting and preparing REU mentors. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 245,
- Gawrisch, K., Gaede, H. C., Soubias, O., Jr, T., Casas, R., & Dustman, J. M (2012). Influence of phospholipid chemical structure on lateral diffusion rates in fluid bilayers. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 243,
- North, S., Gaede, H. C., Batteas, J. D., Son, D. H., Hilty, C., & Cremer, P. S (2008). CHED 1468-Assessment of reforms in the physical chemistry laboratory at Texas A&M University. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 235,
- Gaede, H. C (2007). NMR Exchange Spectroscopy. MODERN NMR SPECTROSCOPY IN EDUCATION. 969, 176-189.
- REU Site: Sustainable Chemistry at Texas A&M University awarded by National Science Foundation 2019 - 2022