Dr. Walzem's core research focus within the laboratory is directed towards understanding how the structure of triglyceride-rich lipoproteins influences their ability to carry out specific nutrient delivery tasks. Her studies include identification of mechanisms and regulatory processes that control the assembly of trigylceride-rich lipoproteins in issues, structural studies of lipoproteins themselves and physiological studies to determine substrate properties and metabolic fates of different types of lipoproteins. Diet can significantly alter lipoprotein physiology through multiple mechanisms, and studies of diet effects provides a significant sub-theme to the research program. A variety of species are used to address specific questions, however, avian and human lipoprotein metabolism as it relates to egg production and atherogenesis, respectively, are emphasized.
- Yeh, Y., Chou, P., Chen, Y., Lai, L., Chung, T. K., Walzem, R. L., Huang, S., & Chen, S. (2020). Dietary supplementation of 25-hydroxycholecalciferol improves cardiac function and livability in broiler breeder hens-amelioration of blood pressure and vascular remodeling. POULTRY SCI.. 99(7), 3363-3373.
- Xenoulis, P. G., Cammarata, P. J., Walzem, R. L., Suchodolski, J. S., & Steiner, J. M. (2020). Serum triglyceride and cholesterol concentrations and lipoprotein profiles in dogs with naturally occurring pancreatitis and healthy control dogs. JOURNAL OF VETERINARY INTERNAL MEDICINE. 34(2), 644-652.
- Minamoto, T., Walzem, R. L., Hamilton, A. J., Hill, S. L., Payne, H. R., Lidbury, J. A., Suchodolski, J. S., & Steiner, J. M. (2018). Altered lipoprotein profiles in cats with hepatic lipidosis.. JOURNAL OF FELINE MEDICINE AND SURGERY. 21(4), 1098612X18780060-1098612X1878006.
- Minamoto, T., Parambeth, J. C., Walzem, R. L., Payne, H. R., Lidbury, J. A., Suchodolski, J. S., & Steiner, J. M. (2018). Evaluation of density gradient ultracentrifugation serum lipoprotein profiles in healthy dogs and dogs with exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. JOURNAL OF VETERINARY DIAGNOSTIC INVESTIGATION. 30(6), 878-886.
- Xenoulis, P. G., Cammarata, P. J., Walzem, R. L., Macfarlane, R. D., Suchodolski, J. S., & Steiner, J. M. (2013). Novel lipoprotein density profiling in healthy dogs of various breeds, healthy miniature schnauzers, and miniature schnauzers with hyperlipidemia. BMC Veterinary Research. 9(1), 47-47.