Dr. Walzem's core research focus within the laboratory is directed towards understanding how the structure of triglyceride-rich lipoproteins influences their ability to carry out specific nutrient delivery tasks. Her studies include identification of mechanisms and regulatory processes that control the assembly of trigylceride-rich lipoproteins in issues, structural studies of lipoproteins themselves and physiological studies to determine substrate properties and metabolic fates of different types of lipoproteins. Diet can significantly alter lipoprotein physiology through multiple mechanisms, and studies of diet effects provides a significant sub-theme to the research program. A variety of species are used to address specific questions, however, avian and human lipoprotein metabolism as it relates to egg production and atherogenesis, respectively, are emphasized.
- Price, T. R., Baskaran, S. A., Moncada, K. L., Minamoto, Y., Klemashevich, C., Jayuraman, A., ... Walzem, R. L. (2021). Whole and Isolated Protein Fractions Differentially Affect Gastrointestinal Integrity Markers in C57Bl/6 Mice Fed Diets with a Moderate-Fat Content. Nutrients. 13(4), 1251-1251.
- THOMSEN, M. N., SKYTTE, M. J., SAMKANI, A., ASTRUP, A., FRYSTYK, J., CHABANOVA, E., ... KRARUP, T. (2021). 38-LB: Reduced Carbohydrate and Increased Protein and Fat during Weight Loss Improve the Atherogenic Lipid Profile in Type 2 Diabetes. DIABETES. 70(Supplement 1), 38-lb.
- Chou, P., Lin, P., Wu, S., Wang, C., Chung, T., Walzem, R. L., Lai, L., & Chen, S. (2021). Differential Modulation of 25-hydroxycholecalciferol on Innate Immunity of Broiler Breeder Hens. ANIMALS. 11(6), 1742-1742.
- Beathard, K., Georghiades, N., Walzem, R., Talcott, S., Smith, S., & Riechman, S. (2021). The Impact of Egg Consumption on Visual Cognitive Performance in the Nutrition, Vision, and Cognition in Health: Egg (IONHealth-Egg) Study. Current Developments in Nutrition. 5(Supplement_2), 3-3.
- Chou, P., Chen, Y., Chung, T., Walzem, R. L., Lai, L., & Chen, S. (2020). Supplemental 25-hydroxycholecalciferol Alleviates Inflammation and Cardiac Fibrosis in Hens. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 21(21), 8379-8379.
- O’Connor, A. J., Halpern, G. M., & Walzem, R. L. (2016). Nonalcoholic Components of Wine and Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease. Beverage Impacts on Health and Nutrition. (pp. 83-99). Springer International Publishing.
- Kieffer, A. J., & Walzem, R. L. (2015). 14. Modulation of lipids, lipoproteins, and other biomarkers with egg consumption and exercise. Handbook of eggs in human function. (pp. 231-252). Wageningen Academic Publishers.
- Pacheco, L., Walzem, R., Noratto, G., & Mertens-Talcott, S. (2008). Health Benefits of Phytochemicals for Older Adults. Handbook of Nutrition in the Aged, Fourth Edition. (pp. 229-247). CRC Press.
- Walzem, R. L., & German, J. B. (2004). The French Paradox. Beverages in Nutrition and Health. (pp. 31-48). Humana Press.
- Price, T. R., Moncada, K. L., Blake, A., Suchodolski, J., & Walzem, R. L. (2019). Dietary Matrix Alters Fecal Lipids and Lipoprotein Profiles in Healthy C57Bl/6 Mice. FASEB J. 33(S1), 795.14-795.14.
- Price, T. R., & Walzem, R. L. (2018). Degree of Dietary Refinement Alters Apparent Gut Permeability. FASEB J. 32(S1), 762.1-762.1.
- Price, T., Moncada, K. L., Park, K. W., Tontonoz, P., & Walzem, R. L. (2013). Amiloride Derivative Phenamil Restricts Long Bone Growth in Broilers in Conjunction with Zinc Accumulation. FASEB J. 27(S1), 1084.1-1084.1.
- Walzem, R. L., Dowd, S. E., Thomas, A. P., Dunn, T. N., Adams, S. H., & Pillai, S. D. (2012). Calcium effects on bodyweight appear to be mediated in part by changes in gut microflora and altered by dietary matrix. FASEB J. 26(S1), 830.12-830.12.
- Wu, X., Cao, X., Clifford, A. J., Smith, S. B., Crouse, S. F., & Walzem, R. L. (2012). Effect of ground beef fatty acid composition on atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease risk factors in healthy men. FASEB J. 26(S1), 1014.9-1014.9.