Dr. H. Morgan Scott is a graduate veterinarian holding a PhD in epidemiology and post-doctoral training in public health. In addition to private veterinary practice, he has worked in both government (food safety surveillance) and academic settings. He is currently professor of epidemiology in the Department of Veterinary Pathobiology at Texas A&M University. He was recruited to Texas A&M University in 2014 as part of the Texas A&M University System Chancellor's Research Initiative and the University President's Initiative on One Health and Infectious Diseases. He relocated from Kansas State University, where he previously held the E.J. Frick Professorship in Veterinary Medicine. Much of his research emphasis has been on studying factors impacting antimicrobial resistance among commensal and pathogenic enteric bacteria in food animal production systems, with a program spanning the realm from the molecular to the sociological. In particular, he is interested in applying both epidemiological and ecological approaches to quantify the emergence, propagation, dissemination, and persistence of resistant enteric bacterial strains in integrated populations of animals, their food products, and humans. Using this knowledge, he hopes to identify opportunities to prevent and intervene against resistance among enteric pathogens in animal agriculture; preferably, by developing readily adoptable and cost-effective management practices suited to modern animal and food production systems.
- University of Alberta - (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada), Postdoctoral Training 1999
- Ph.D. in Epidemiology, University of Guelph - (Guelph, Ontario, Canada) 1998
- D.V.M. in Veterinary Medicine, University of Saskatchewan - (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada) 1988
- Manishimwe, R., Moncada, P. M., Bugarel, M., Scott, H. M., & Loneragan, G. H. (2021). Antibiotic resistance among Escherichia coli and Salmonella isolated from dairy cattle feces in Texas. PLoS ONE. 16(5), e0242390-e0242390.
- Manishimwe, R., Moncada, P. M., Musanayire, V., Shyaka, A., Scott, H. M., & Loneragan, G. H. (2021). Antibiotic-Resistant Escherichia coli and Salmonella from the Feces of Food Animals in the East Province of Rwanda. ANIMALS. 11(4), 1013-1013.
- Siceloff, A. T., Ohta, N., Norman, K. N., Loneragan, G. H., Norby, B. o., Scott, H. M., & Shariat, N. W. (2021). Antimicrobial Resistance Hidden within Multiserovar Salmonella Populations.. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. 65(6),
- Levent, G., Schlochtermeier, A., Ives, S. E., Norman, K. N., Lawhon, S. D., Loneragan, G. H., ... Scott, H. M. (2021). High-Resolution Genomic Comparisons within Salmonella enterica Serotypes Derived from Beef Feedlot Cattle: Parsing the Roles of Cattle Source, Pen, Animal, Sample Type, and Production Period. APPLIED AND ENVIRONMENTAL MICROBIOLOGY. 87(12), e00485-e00421.
- Goggs, R., Menard, J. M., Altier, C., Cummings, K. J., Jacob, M. E., Lalonde‐Paul, D. F., ... Lawhon, S. D. (2021). Patterns of antimicrobial drug use in veterinary primary care and specialty practice: A 6‐year multi‐institution study. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. 35(3), 1496-1508.
- Harvey, R. B., & Scott, H. M. (2004). Distribution and Spread of Enteric Pathogens in Swine: Outlook for the Future. Preharvest and Postharvest Food Safety. (pp. 151-160). Blackwell Publishing.
- Muller, H., Horton, L., Costa, D., Amachawadi, R., Scott, H., & Drouillard, J. (2018). 256 Restricting tylosin use to the final 34. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 96(suppl_3), 86-87.
- Muller, H. C., Amachawadi, R. G., Scott, H. M., Van Bibber-Krueger, C. L., & Drouillard, J. S. (2017). 133 Effects of intermittent feeding of tylosin phosphate on feedlot performance, carcass characteristics, and incidence of liver abscesses in steers. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 95(suppl_4), 65-66.
- Van Bibber-Krueger, C. L., Gonzalez, J. M., Amachawadi, R. G., Scott, H. M., & Drouillard, J. S. (2016). 1377 Interactive effects of supplemental Zn sulfate and ractopamine hydrochloride on growth performance, carcass traits, and plasma urea nitrogen in feedlot heifers. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 94(suppl_5), 666-666.
- Feldpausch, J. A., Amachawadi, R., Tokach, M. D., Scott, H. M., Dritz, S. S., Nagaraja, T. G., ... DeRouchey, J. M. (2016). 157 Effects of dietary Cu, Zn, and ractopamine-HCl on finishing pig growth performance, carcass characteristics, and antimicrobial susceptibility of enteric bacteria. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 94(suppl_2), 73-74.
- Scott, H. M. (2016). 115 Antimicrobial resistance (AMR): Issues and solutions facing the livestock industry. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 94(suppl_1), 56-56.
- Muller, H. C., Amachawadi, R. G., Scott, H. M., & Drouillard, J. S. (2017). Intermittent Feeding of Tylan Reduces Use of In-Feed Antibiotics While Still Controlling Incidence of Liver Abscesses in Finishing Steers. Kansas Agricultural Experiment Station Research Reports. 3(1),
- Van Bibber-Krueger, C. L., Amachawadi, R. G., Scott, H. M., Gonzalez, J. M., & Drouillard, J. S. (2017). Supplemental Zinc Sulfate Interacts with Optaflexx in Feedlot Heifers. Kansas Agricultural Experiment Station Research Reports. 3(1),
- Feldpausch, J. A., Amachawadi, R. G., Scott, H. M., Tokach, M. D., Dritz, S. S., Woodworth, J. C., ... DeRouchey, J. M. (2015). Effects of Added Copper and Zinc on Growth Performance and Carcass Characteristics of Finishing Pigs Fed Diets with or without Ractopamine HCl. Kansas Agricultural Experiment Station Research Reports. 1(7),
- Feldpausch, J. A., DeJong, J. A., Tokach, M. D., Dritz, S. S., Woodworth, J. C., Amachawadi, R. G., ... Goodband, R. D. (2014). Comparative effects of dietary copper, zinc, essential oils, and chlortetracycline on nursery pig growth performance. Kansas Agricultural Experiment Station Research Reports. (10), 8-16.
- Feldpausch, J. A., DeJong, J. A., Tokach, M. D., Dritz, S. S., Woodworth, J. C., Scott, H. M., ... Amachawadi, R. G. (2014). Effects of dietary zinc oxide and chlortetracycline on nursery pig growth performance. Kansas Agricultural Experiment Station Research Reports. (10), 1-7.
- Taylor, Ethan Andrew (2019-08). Critically Important and of Highest Priority: The Evolving Story of Cephalosporin Use and Antimicrobial Resistance in U.S. (Dairy Cattle. Doctoral Dissertation)
- Ohta, Naomi (2018-08). Population Dynamics of Enteric Salmonella in Response to Antibiotic Use in Feedlot Cattle. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Leon Moreno, Ingrid Maribel (2017-12). Serotype diversity and antimicrobial resistance among Salmonella enterica isolated from patients at an equine referral hospital. (Master's Thesis)