education and training
- Hudson, J. C., Tolen, T. N., Kirsch, K. R., Acuff, G., Taylor, T. M., Lucia, L. M., & Castillo, A. (2019). Comparison of Antimicrobial Treatments Applied via Conventional or Handheld Electrostatic Spray To Reduce Shiga Toxin-Producing Escherichia coli on Chilled Beef Outside Rounds. Journal of Food Protection. 82(5), 862-868.
- Arias-Rios, E. V., Acuff, G. R., Castillo, A., Lucia, L. M., Niebuhr, S. E., & Dickson, J. S. (2019). Identification of a surrogate to validate irradiation processing of selected spices. LWT - Food Science and Technology. 102, 136-141.
- Redemann, M. A., Brar, J., Niebuhr, S. E., Lucia, L. M., Acuff, G. R., Dickson, J. S., & Singh, M. (2018). Evaluation of thermal process lethality for non-pathogenic Escherichia coli as a surrogate for Salmonella in ground beef. LWT - Food Science and Technology. 90, 290-296.
- Woerner, D. R., Geornaras, I., Martin, J. N., Belk, K. E., Acuff, G. R., & Dickson, J. S. (2018). Use of nonpathogenic Escherichia coli surrogates as predictors of the survival of nontyphoidal salmonella, non-O157 Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli, and Escherichia coli O157 populations after high hydrostatic pressure processing. Journal of Food Protection. 81(7), 1068-1072.
- Hasty, J. D., Henson, J. A., Acuff, G. R., Burson, D. E., Luchansky, J. B., Sevart, N. J., ... Thippareddi, H. (2018). Validation of a sequential hide-on bob veal carcass antimicrobial intervention composed of a hot water wash and lactic acid spray in combination with scalding to control Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli surrogates. Journal of Food Protection. 81(5), 762-768.
- Scott, H. M., Acuff, G., Bergeron, G., Bourassa, M. W., Simjee, S., & Singer, R. S. (2019). Antimicrobial resistance in a One Health context: exploring complexities, seeking solutions, and communicating risks. Wiley.
- Ritter, G. D., Acuff, G. R., Bergeron, G., Bourassa, M. W., Chapman, B. J., Dickson, J. S., ... Storrs, C. (2019). Antimicrobial-resistant bacterial infections from foods of animal origin: understanding and effectively communicating to consumers. Wiley.
- Scott, H. M., Acuff, G., Bergeron, G., Bourassa, M. W., Gill, J., Graham, D. W., ... Wittum, T. E. (2019). Critically important antibiotics: criteria and approaches for measuring and reducing their use in food animal agriculture. Wiley.
- Acuff, G. R. (2014). Decontamination of Fresh Meat. Encyclopedia of Meat Sciences. (pp. 276-279).
- Acuff, G. R. (2005). Chemical decontamination strategies for meat. Improving the Safety of Fresh Meat. (pp. 350-363).
- Acuff, G. R. (2001). Reduction of microbial contaminants on carcasses. Control of Foodborne Microorganisms. (pp. 351-382).
awards and honors
chaired theses and dissertations
- Wright, Kyle D. (2009-12). Validation of Hot Water and Lactic Acid Sprays for the Reduction of Enteric Pathogens on the Surface of Beef Carcasses. (Master's Thesis)
- Cabrera-Diaz, Elisa (2007-12). Characterization and evaluation of Escherichia coli biotype I strains for use as surrogates for enteric pathogens in validation of beef carcass interventions. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Moseley, Tiffany Marie (2007-05). Use of flourescent surrogate organisms for enteric pathogens in validation of carcass decontamination treatments. (Master's Thesis)
- Magana Yepez, Maria Belem (2004-08). Isolation and characterization of potential indicator bacteria to be used for validation of Escherichia coli O157:H7 reduction in beef slaughter plant critical control points. (Master's Thesis)
- Duffy, Elizabeth Anne (2004-08). Prevalence and microbial ecology of Enterobacteriaceae on Texas produce and the survival of Salmonella on parsley as affected by processing and storage. (Doctoral Dissertation)
Texas A&M University; Dean; 2469 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-2469