In addition to teaching animal nutrition courses, Dr. Carstens conducts research on energy metabolism and growth and development in ruminants. Specific research areas include the regulation of growth and composition of carcass and mammary tissues by nutritional control and the use of externally administered (exogenous) growth regulators. Recent research has focused on methods to increase the ability of newborn calves to produce heat and fight off cold stress and the influence of genetic and nutritional components on this ability.
- B.S. in Animal Science, Iowa State University - (Ames, Iowa, United States)
- Ph.D. in , Colorado State University - (Fort Collins, Colorado, United States)
- M.S. in , Colorado State University - (Fort Collins, Colorado, United States)
- Johnson, J. R., Carstens, G. E., Krueger, W. K., Lancaster, P. A., Brown, E. G., Tedeschi, L. O., ... Brosh, A. (2019). Associations between residual feed intake and apparent nutrient digestibility, in vitro methane-producing activity, and volatile fatty acid concentrations in growing beef cattle1.. J Anim Sci. 97(8), 3550-3561.
- Smith, S. B., Sweatt, C. R., & Carstens, G. E. (2019). Supplementary prenatal copper increases plasma triiodothyronine and brown adipose tissue uncoupling protein-1 gene expression but depresses thermogenesis in newborn lambs.. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci. 33(3), 506-514.
- Olson, C. A., Carstens, G. E., Herring, A. D., Hale, D. S., Kayser, W. C., & Miller, R. K. (2019). Effects of temperament at feedlot arrival and breed type on growth efficiency, feeding behavior, and carcass value in finishing heifers.. J Anim Sci. 97(4), 1828-1839.
- Kayser, W. C., Carstens, G. E., Washburn, K. E., Welsh, T. H., Lawhon, S. D., Reddy, S. M., ... Skidmore, A. L. (2019). Effects of combined viral-bacterial challenge with or without supplementation of Saccharomyces cerevisiae boulardii strain CNCM I-1079 on immune upregulation and DMI in beef heifers.. J Anim Sci. 97(3), 1171-1184.
- Kayser, W. C., Carstens, G. E., Jackson, K. S., Pinchak, W. E., Banerjee, A., & Fu, Y. u. (2019). Evaluation of statistical process control procedures to monitor feeding behavior patterns and detect onset of bovine respiratory disease in growing bulls.. J Anim Sci. 97(3), 1158-1170.
- Tolleson, D. R., Teel, P. D., Carstens, G. E., & Welsh, T. H. (2012). The physiology of tick-induced stress in grazing animals. Ticks: Disease, Management and Control. 1-18.
- Crews, D., & Carstens, G. E. (2012). Measuring Individual Feed Intake and Utilization in Growing Cattle. Feed Efficiency in the Beef Industry. 21-28. Wiley.
- Bottje, W. G., & Carstens, G. E. (2012). Variation in Metabolism: Biological Efficiency of Energy Production and Utilization That Affects Feed Efficiency. Feed Efficiency in the Beef Industry. 251-273. Wiley.
- Smith, S. B., & Carstens, G. E. (2005). Chapter 12 Ontogeny and metabolism of brown adipose tissue in livestock species. Biology of Growing Animals. Biology of Growing Animals. 303-322. Elsevier.
- Kayser, W. C., Carstens, G. E., Pinchak, W. E., Parsons, I. L., Washbun, K. E., Lawhon, S. D., Chevaux, E., & Skidmore, A. L. (2017). 036 Evaluation of statistical process control procedures to monitor feeding behavior and ruminal temperature changes associated with experimental inoculation of Mannheimia haemolytica. Journal of Animal Science. 95(suppl_4), 18-18.
- Johnson, J. R., Carstens, G. E., Prince, S. D., Ominski, K. H., Wittenberg, K. M., Undi, M., ... Basarab, J. A. (2017). 112 Evaluation of fecal near-infrared reflectance spectroscopy profiling technology to predict forage intake estimated using n-alkane markers in grazing cattle. Journal of Animal Science. 95(suppl_4), 55-56.
- McCann, J. C., Shoup, L. M., Miller, M. D., Carstens, G. E., & Shike, D. W. (2017). 156 Relationships between DMI fluctuation and feeding behavior at the beginning and end of the finishing phase in feedlot cattle. Journal of Animal Science. 95(suppl_4), 76-77.
- Smith, P. S., Carstens, G. E., Runyan, C. A., Ridpath, J. F., Sawyer, J. E., & Herring, A. D. (2017). Effects of vaccine treatment and temperament classification on intake and feeding behavior responses to bovine viral diarrhea virus challenge in beef steers.. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 95, 42-42.
- Kayser, W. C., Carstens, G. E., Jackson, K. S., Pinchak, W. E., Banerjee, A., & Fu, Y. (2016). 043 Evaluation of Statistical Process Control Procedures to Monitor Feeding Behavior Patterns and Detect Onset of Bovine Respiratory Disease in Growing Bulls. Journal of Animal Science. 95(suppl_1), 21-21.
- Wottlin, Lauren Rose (2020-08). Strategies and Technologies for the Management and Mitigation of Bovine Respiratory Disease. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Hall, Megan Nevada (2020-08). Utilizing Feeding and Behavior Technologies in Confinement Cattle. (Master's Thesis)
- Johnson, Jocelyn Rose (2019-08). APPLICATION OF CHEMOMETRICS TO PREDICT INTAKE AND FEED EFFICIENCY USING FEEDING BEHAVIOR PATTERNS IN GROWING CATTLE. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Forehand, Lydia Rose (2019-08). EVALUATION OF THE EFFECTS OF SACCHAROMYCES CEREVISIAE (LEVUCELL) ON PERFORMANCE, PHYSIOLOGICAL, AND BEHAVIORAL RESPONSES DURING SUBACUTE ACIDOSIS IN BEEF STEERS. (Master's Thesis)
- Newberry, Quest James (2019-08). EFFECTS OF RFI CLASSIFICATION ON GROWTH EFFICIENCY, FEEDING BEHAVIOR PATTERNS, AND SEMEN QUALITY TRAITS IN GROWING BULLS. (Master's Thesis)