Dr. Klein's research focuses on developing the genomic tools and resources in crops to enable map base cloning of economically important genes, and to understand the underlying mechanisms that plants use to withstand biotic and abiotic stress. Dr. Klein conducts genetic studies on several plant species including sorghum, rose, and pecan. In 2012, Dr. Klein was awarded the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Dean's Outstanding Achievement Award for excellence as a member of the Sorghum Bioenergy Breeding and Genomics Interdisciplinary Research Team.
- Echeverría-Beirute, F., Murray, S., Bertrand, B., & Klein, P. (2019). Candidate genes in coffee (Coffea arabica L.) leaves associated with rust (Hemileia vastatrix Berk. & Br) stress.
- Bentley, N., Grauke, L. J., & Klein, P. (2019). Genotyping by sequencing (GBS) and SNP marker analysis of diverse accessions of pecan (Carya illinoinensis). Tree Genetics and Genomes. 15(1),
- Kang, S., Yan, M., Roundey, E., Lau, J., Pemberton, H. B., Bishop, C., ... Byrne, D. H. (2019). Resistance of garden roses to cercospora leaf spot. PROCEEDINGS OF THE IVTH INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON ROSE RESEARCH AND CULTIVATION. 1232(1232), 221-226.
- Yan, M., Byrne, D. H., Klein, P. E., van de Weg, W. E., Yang, J., & Cai, L. (2019). Black spot partial resistance in diploid roses: QTL discovery and linkage map creation. PROCEEDINGS OF THE IVTH INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON ROSE RESEARCH AND CULTIVATION. 1232(1232), 135-141.
- Patil, N. Y., Pugh, N. A., Klein, R. R., Martinez, H. S., Martinez, R. S., Rodriguez-Herrera, R., Rooney, W. L., & Klein, P. E. (2019). Heritability and quantitative trait loci of composition and structural characteristics in sorghum grain. Journal of Crop Improvement. 33(1), 1-24.
- Grauke, L. J., Klein, R., Grusak, M. A., & Klein, P. (2015). The forest and the trees: Applications for molecular markers in the repository and pecan breeding program. PROCEEDINGS OF THE IVTH INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON ROSE RESEARCH AND CULTIVATION. 1070(1070), 109-126.
- Harris, K., Subudhi, P. K., Borrell, A., Jordan, D., Rosenow, D., Nguyen, H., ... Mullet, J. (2007). Sorghum stay-green QTL individually reduce post-flowering drought-induced leaf senescence.. JOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL BOTANY. 58(2), 327-338.
- Echeverria-Beirute, Fabian (2018-05). Plant Performance and Bean Quality of Coffee (Coffea arabica L.) under Rust (Hemileia vastatrix Berk. (et Br.) Control and Fruit Thinning Treatments. Doctoral Dissertation)
- Kianifariz, Mahnaz (2017-05). Transcriptome Analysis during Stem Development and in the A1 Cytoplasmic Male Sterility System of Sorghum. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Patil, Nikhil Yuvaraj (2016-12). Investigating the Genetic Basis of Agronomically Important Traits in Sorghum. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Anderson, Jason C. (2010-05). Cytogenomic Analyses of the genus Sorghum. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Zhou, Bin (2006-12). Construction of a minimal tiling path across the euchromatic arms of sorghum chromosome 3 and comparative analysis with the rice chromosome 1 pseudomolecule. (Doctoral Dissertation)