Primary aspects of this plant-animal interface research program includes simultaneous quantifying of forage persistence and sustainability with animal responses to stocking strategies and grazing intensities. Component research areas include forage germplasm evaluations for team-released varieties; assessment of soil nutrient status under long-term nutrient cycling with fertilizer-stocking regimens; cow-calf and stocker performance on bermudagrass, small grains, ryegrass, and clover; and lifetime animal performance attributes from birth-to-pasture-to-feedlot-carcass with database archival on BeefSys.
- Woli, P., Jr, R., & Long, C. R. (2019). Investigating DSSAT: Bermudagrass Response to Nitrogen as Influenced by Soil and Climate. AGRONOMY JOURNAL. 111(4), 1741-1751.
- Lowry, D. B., Lovell, J. T., Zhang, L. i., Bonnette, J., Fay, P. A., Mitchell, R. B., ... Juenger, T. E. (2019). QTL x environment interactions underlie adaptive divergence in switchgrass across a large latitudinal gradient. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA-BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES. 116(26), 12933-12941.
- Woli, P., Jr, R., Smith, G. R., Long, C. R., & Nelson, L. R. (2019). Simulating Winter Wheat Forage Production in the Southern United States Using a Forage Wheat Model. AGRONOMY JOURNAL. 111(3), 1141-1154.
- Neely, C. B., Jr, R., Morgan, C. L., Smith, G. R., Hons, F. M., & Rooney, W. L. (2018). Integrating Legumes as Cover Crops and Intercrops into Grain Sorghum Production Systems. AGRONOMY JOURNAL. 110(4), 1363-1378.
- Jr, R., van Santen, E., & Smith, G. R. (2018). Long-Term Forage and Cow-Calf Relationships for Bermudagrass Overseeded with Arrowleaf Clover or Annual Ryegrass Managed at Different Stocking Rates. CROP SCIENCE. 58(3), 1426-1439.
- Fellow conferred by American Society of Agronomy - (Madison, Wisconsin, United States) 1996
- Smith, William Brandon (2017-08). Impact of Dried Distillers' Grains with Solubles Supplementation of Cattle While Grazing Bermudagrass on the Plant-Animal Interface. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Aiosa, Melanie L (2017-05). Cowpea as a Multifunctional Legume in a Texas Double Cropping System. (Master's Thesis)
- Neely, Clark B (2013-05). Using Legumes to Enhance Sustainability of Sorghum Cropping Systems in the East Texas Pineywoods Ecoregion: Impacts on Soil Nitrogen, Soil Carbon, and Crop Yields. (Doctoral Dissertation)