We are interested in the molecular mechanisms of transcriptional regulation in mammalian cells. Many of our experiments have focused on the transcription of the proviral genome of the retrovirus mouse mammary tumor virus, which is subject to both positive and negative control. A number of cellular proteins that are important for viral transcription have been identified, and we would like to define the precise roles of these proteins in establishing correct levels of viral gene expression. We are also exploring some specific questions related to the general mechanism of transcription initiation by RNA polymerase II and the biochemical details of transcriptional regulation. In particular, we are developing assays to directly assess effects of transcriptional regulatory proteins on discrete steps in the initiation process, including transcription complex assembly, separation of the two strands of template DNA at the initiation site, and promoter clearance by the polymerase as it begins RNA synthesis.
- Kaster, B. C., Knippa, K. C., Kaplan, C. D., & Peterson, D. O. (2016). RNA Polymerase II Trigger Loop Mobility: INDIRECT EFFECTS OF Rpb9.. J Biol Chem. (28), 14883-14895.
- Knippa, K., & Peterson, D. O. (2015). Correction to Fidelity of RNA Polymerase II Transcription: Role of Rpb9 in Error Detection and Proofreading. 54(40), 6294-6294.
- Knippa, K., & Peterson, D. O. (2013). Fidelity of RNA Polymerase II Transcription: Role of Rbp9 in Error Detection and Proofreading. 52(44), 7807-7817.
- Nesser, N. K., Peterson, D. O., & Hawley, D. K. (2006). RNA polymerase II subunit Rpb9 is important for transcriptional fidelity in vivo. 103(9), 3268-3273.
- Chen, X., Zhang, B. o., Harmon, P. M., Schaffner, W., Peterson, D. O., & Giedroc, D. P. (2003). A Novel Cysteine Cluster in Human Metal-responsive Transcription Factor 1 Is Required for Heavy Metal-induced Transcriptional Activation in Vivo *. 279(6), 4515-4522.
- KANG, C. J., FEE, B. E., BRAL, C. M., & PETERSON, D. O. (1994). IN-VITRO ANALYSIS OF MOUSE MAMMARY-TUMOR VIRUS TRANSCRIPTION. 47-47.
- PETERSON, D. O., PIERCE, J., MOFFITT, P. G., & LEE, J. W. (1992). TRANSCRIPTIONAL REGULATION OF MOUSE MAMMARY-TUMOR VIRUS GENE-EXPRESSION. 6(1), A72-A72.
- KUO, W. L., & PETERSON, D. O. (1987). VARIANT CELL-LINES WITH ALTERED GLUCOCORTICOID RESPONSIVENESS SELECTED BY WAY OF AN MMTV PROMOTER FUSION WITH A GENE ENCODING A SELECTABLE MARKER. 119-119.
- PETERSON, D. O., TOOHEY, M. G., & MORLEY, K. L. (1986). MULTIPLE TRANSCRIPTIONAL REGULATORY ELEMENTS AS MEDIATORS OF DIFFERENTIAL TRANSCRIPTION. 189-189.
- Kaster, Benjamin Catlin (2016-05). The Role of RNA Polymerase II Subunit Rpb9: In and Out of the Active Site. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Knippa, Kevin Christopher (2013-08). Role of RPB9 in RNA Polymerase II Fidelity. (Doctoral Dissertation)