Microbes are the major mediators of biogeochemical cycles on earth. Although tiny, their metabolisms have global implications. My research focuses on two aspects of microbial ecology - interactions between the ocean crust and marine microbes, and the impact of anthropogenic influence on marine microbes. I determine the effect microbial communities have on biogeochemical cycles in a variety of settings through quantification of microbial biomass, analysis of microbial diversity and function, and measurement of microbial activity. My research is interdisciplinary and involves collaboration with chemists, geologists and biological oceanographers.
- Ph.D. in Biological Oceanography, Rutgers University - (New Brunswick, New Jersey, United States) 2008
- M.Sc. in Biological Oceanography, Rutgers University - (New Brunswick, New Jersey, United States) 2004
- B.S. in Biology, Brandeis University - (Waltham, Massachusetts, United States) 1999
- Wee, S. Y., Edgcomb, V. P., Beaudoin, D., Yvon-Lewis, S., & Sylvan, J. B. (2021). MICROBIAL ABUNDANCE AND DIVERSITY IN SUBSURFACE LOWER OCEANIC CRUST AT ATLANTIS BANK, SOUTHWEST INDIAN RIDGE.. APPLIED AND ENVIRONMENTAL MICROBIOLOGY. aem0151921.
- Quemener, M., Mara, P., Schubotz, F., Beaudoin, D., Li, W., Pachiadaki, M., ... Burgaud, G. (2020). Meta‐omics highlights the diversity, activity and adaptations of fungi in deep oceanic crust. Environmental Microbiology. 22(9), 3950-3967.
- Doyle, S. M., Lin, G., Morales-McDevitt, M., Wade, T. L., Quigg, A., & Sylvan, J. B. (2020). Niche Partitioning between Coastal and Offshore Shelf Waters Results in Differential Expression of Alkane and Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon Catabolic Pathways. mSystems. 5(4), e00668-e00620.
- Kamalanathan, M., Doyle, S. M., Xu, C., Achberger, A. M., Wade, T. L., Schwehr, K., ... Quigg, A. (2020). Exoenzymes as a Signature of Microbial Response to Marine Environmental Conditions. mSystems. 5(2), e00290-e00220.
- McAllister, S. M., Polson, S. W., Butterfield, D. A., Glazer, B. T., Sylvan, J. B., & Chan, C. S. (2020). Validating the Cyc2 Neutrophilic Iron Oxidation Pathway Using Meta-omics of Zetaproteobacteria Iron Mats at Marine Hydrothermal Vents.. mSystems. 5(1),
- A&M Research Supporter, Naational Science Foundation Celebrates 70 Years The Battalion May 31, 2020
- Extremophile Microbes Found Thriving Half A Mile Beneath The Seafloor New Atlas March 24, 2020
- Texas A&M Research Team Finds Life Deep Beneath Ocean Floor Texas A&M Today March 16, 2020
- Explanation Found For Die-Off Of Coral Reefs In Gulf Of Mexico Texas A&M Today January 3, 2020