education and training
- Ph.D. in History, Johns Hopkins University - (Baltimore, Maryland, United States) 1998
- M.A. in History, Johns Hopkins University - (Baltimore, Maryland, United States) 1994
- M.A. in History, University of Oregon - (Eugene, Oregon, United States) 1992
- A.B. in History, Duke University - (Durham, North Carolina, United States) 1989
- Hatfield, A. L. (2016). The Divided Dominion: Social Conflict and Indian Hatred in Early Virginia. AMERICAN HISTORICAL REVIEW. 121(2), 555-555.
- Hatfield, A. L. (2014). Ireland in the Virginian Sea: Colonialism in the British Atlantic, Audrey Horning. The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography. 122(2), 182-183.
- Hatfield, A. L. (2011). Slavery, trade, war, and the purposes of empire. The William and Mary Quarterly. 68(3), 405-408.
- Hatfield, A. L. (2007). Colonial southeastern Indian history. Journal of Southern History. 73(3), 567-578.
- Hatfield, A. L. (2006). Envisioning an English empire: Jamestown and the making of the north Atlantic world.. AMERICAN HISTORICAL REVIEW. 111(3), 789-790.
- Hatfield, A. (2010). Chesapeake Slavery in Atlantic Context. Katz, S., Murrin, J. M., Greenberg, D., Silverman, D. J., & Brunsman, D. (Eds.), Colonial America Essays in Politics and Social Development. Routledge.
- Hatfield, A. (2005). Dutch and New Netherland Merchants in the Seventeenth-Century Chesapeake. Coclanis, P. A. (Eds.), The Atlantic Economy During the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries Organization, Operation, Practice, and Personnel. (pp. 205-228). Univ of South Carolina Press.
- Hatfield, A. (2005). Mariners, Merchants, and Colonists in Seventeenth-Century English America. Mancke, E., & Shammas, C. (Eds.), The Creation of the British Atlantic World. (pp. 139-159). JHU Press.
awards and honors
chaired theses and dissertations
- Mccoy, Charles Robert (2017-12). A FOREIGN POLICY OF ABOLITIONISM: GREAT BRITAIN'S USE OF FOREIGN POLICY TO END THE ATLANTIC SLAVE TRADE. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Lee, Hyun Wu (2014-05). British Troops, Colonists, Indians, and Slaves in Southeastern North America, 1756-1763. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Heaton, Charles (2011-08). In the Wake of War: Violence, Identity, and Cultural Change in Puritan Massachusetts, 1676-1713. (Master's Thesis)
- Peatman, Jared Elliott (2010-08). The Legacy of the Gettysburg Address, 1863-1965. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Beauchamp, Michael Kelly (2009-12). Instruments of Empire: Colonial Elites and U.S. Governance in Early National Louisiana, 1803-1820. (Doctoral Dissertation)
Texas A&M University; History; 4236 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4236