My primary responsibility and research interest is breeding (applied and molecular) and cultivar development of warm- and cool-season turfgrass species for use in home lawns, athletic fields and golf courses. This involves adopting holistic systems approach towards cultivar development, marketing and commercialization through industry collaborations; working interactively in the interdisciplinary areas of turfgrass science including turfgrass genomics, physiology, entomology, pathology, soils and socio-economics; developing high-throughput greenhouse/growth chamber phenotyping procedures to efficiently evaluate large breeding (and mapping) populations for important traits of interest including a wide range of biotic and abiotic stress tolerances. My interests also include graduate student education and training of tomorrow's plant breeders and turfgrass professionals capable of leading a successful career in academia and/or the turfgrass industry.
- Ph.D. in Agronomy, Pennsylvania State University - (State College, Pennsylvania, United States) 2007
- M.S. in Plant Breeding and Genetics, Punjab Agricultural University - (Ludhiana, Punjab, India) 2003
- B.S. in Agriculture, Punjab Agricultural University - (Ludhiana, Punjab, India) 2001
- Meeks, M., Kong, S. T., Genovesi, A. D., Smith, B., & Chandra, A. (2021). Low‐input golf course putting green performance of fine‐textured inter‐ and intra‐specific zoysiagrass (Zoysia spp.). International Turfgrass Society Research Journal.
- Moseley, D. O., Trappe, J. M., Milla‐Lewis, S. R., Chandra, A., Kenworthy, K. E., Liu, W., & Patton, A. J. (2021). Characterizing the growth and winter survival of commercially available and experimental genotypes of St. Augustinegrass. CROP SCIENCE. 61(5), 3097-3109.
- Gouveia, B. T., Rios, E. F., Nunes, J., Gezan, S. A., Munoz, P. R., Kenworthy, K. E., ... Moss, J. Q. (2021). Multispecies genotype × environment interaction for turfgrass quality in five turfgrass breeding programs in the southeastern United States. CROP SCIENCE. 61(5), 3080-3096.
- Meeks, M., & Chandra, A. (2021). Performance of diploid and interploid hybrids of St. Augustinegrass under moderate shade. CROP SCIENCE. 61(5), 3719-3733.
- Gouveia, B. T., Rios, E. F., Nunes, J., Gezan, S. A., Munoz, P. R., Kenworthy, K. E., ... Moss, J. Q. (2020). Genotype‐by‐environment interaction for turfgrass quality in bermudagrass across the southeastern United States. CROP SCIENCE. 60(6), 3328-3343.