My primary responsibility and research interest is breeding (applied and molecular) and cultivar development of warm- and cool-season turfgrass species for use in home lawns, athletic fields and golf courses. This involves adopting holistic systems approach towards cultivar development, marketing and commercialization through industry collaborations; working interactively in the interdisciplinary areas of turfgrass science including turfgrass genomics, physiology, entomology, pathology, soils and socio-economics; developing high-throughput greenhouse/growth chamber phenotyping procedures to efficiently evaluate large breeding (and mapping) populations for important traits of interest including a wide range of biotic and abiotic stress tolerances. My interests also include graduate student education and training of tomorrow's plant breeders and turfgrass professionals capable of leading a successful career in academia and/or the turfgrass industry.
- Ph.D. in Agronomy, Pennsylvania State University - (State College, Pennsylvania, United States) 2007
- M.S. in Plant Breeding and Genetics, Punjab Agricultural University - (Ludhiana, Punjab, India) 2003
- B.S. in Agriculture, Punjab Agricultural University - (Ludhiana, Punjab, India) 2001
- Schwartz, B. M., Hanna, W. W., Baxter, L. L., Raymer, P. L., Waltz, F. C., Kowalewski, A. R., ... Munoz, P. R. (2018). 'DT-1', a Drought-tolerant Triploid Turf Bermudagrass. HORTSCIENCE. 53(11), 1711-1714.
- LaMantia, J. M., Chandra, A., & Huff, D. R. (2018). Development of ent-kaurene oxidase-based conserved intron spanning primers for species identification in the genus poa (poaceae; bluegrass). AGRONOMY-BASEL. 8(5),
- Chandra, A., Milla‐Lewis, S., & Yu, Q. (2017). An Overview of Molecular Advances in Zoysiagrass. CROP SCIENCE. 57(S1), s-73-s-81-S81.
- Huff, D. R., Hsiang, T., Chandra, A., & Zhang, Y. (2017). Draft Genome sequence of Salmacisia buchloëana (Basidiomycota), which induces hermaphroditism in dioecious buffalograss. Genome announcements. 5(14),
- Genovesi, A. D., Jessup, R. W., Burson, B. L., Engelke, M. C., & Chandra, A. (2017). Interspecific hybrids between pembagrass and St. Augustinegrass. CROP SCIENCE. 57(5), 2819-2827.