My research focuses on bi/multilingualism: cognitive, neurocognitive and social aspects; creative cognition: processing of jokes, proverbs, and idioms; and diversity science: language diversity; gender and race and equity in higher education.
education and training
- Ph.D. in Experimental Psychology, McGill University - (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) 1982
- M.A. in Experimental Psychology, McGill University - (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) 1978
- B.A. in Biopsychology, Vassar College - (Poughkeepsie, New York, United States) 1976
- Carter-Sowell, A. R., Vaid, J., Stanley, C. A., Petitt, B., & Battle, J. S. (2019). ADVANCE Scholar Program: enhancing minoritized scholars’ professional visibility. Equality, Diversity and Inclusion. 38(3), 305-327.
- Garcia, O., Faghihi, N., & Vaid, J. (2019). Sources of Directional Spatial Biases in Hemi-Image Drawing. PERCEPTION. 301006619891697-030100661989169.
- Faghihi, N., Garcia, O., & Vaid, J. (2019). Spatial bias in figure placement in representational drawing: Associations with handedness and script directionality. LATERALITY. 24(5), 614-630.
- Lopez, B. G., & Vaid, J. (2018). Divergence and overlap in bilingual conceptual representation: does prior language brokering experience matter?. BILINGUALISM-LANGUAGE AND COGNITION. 21(1), 150-161.
- Lopez, B. G., & Vaid, J. (2018). Facil or A piece of cake: Does variability in bilingual language brokering experience affect idiom comprehension?. BILINGUALISM-LANGUAGE AND COGNITION. 21(2), 340-354.
- Vaid, J. (2018). The bilingual brain revisited: What is right and what is left?. An Introduction to Bilingualism: Principles and Processes, Second Edition. (pp. 139-155). Routledge.
- López, B. G., & Vaid, J. (2017). Psycholinguistic approaches to humor. The Routledge Handbook of Language and Humor. (pp. 267-281). Routledge.
- Vaid, J., & Meuter, R. (2016). Not through a glass darkly: Refocusing the psycholinguistic study of bilingualism through a “bivocal” lens. The Cambridge Handbook of Linguistic Multi-Competence. (pp. 77-96).
- Vaid, J., & Meuter, R. (2016). Not through a glass darkly: refocusing the psycholinguistic study of bilingualism through a “bivocal” lens. Cook, V., & Wei, L. (Eds.), The Cambridge Handbook of Linguistic Multi-competence. (pp. 77-96). Cambridge University Press.
- Vaid, J., López, B. G., & Martínez, F. E. (2015). Linking the figurative to the creative: Bilinguals’ comprehension of metaphors, jokes, and remote associates. Bilingual Figurative Language Processing. (pp. 53-86). Cambridge University Press.
- Yennello, S., Petitt, B., Stanley, C., & Vaid, J. (2018). Texas A&M University ADVANCE Scholar Program. ACS Photonics. 256,
- Tosun, S., Vaid, J., & Geraci, L. (2010). 'Meryem (reportedly) missed her flight': Cognitive Implications of the Turkish Evidential. 2408-2408.
- Vaid, J., Chen, H., Rhodes, R., & Tosun, S. (2010). Handedness and Hand Used Differentially Affect Object Facing. 676-676.
- VAID, J., FRENCKMESTRE, C., & BALFOUR, S. (1992). DOES LANGUAGE FIGURE IN NUMERICAL FACT RETRIEVAL. BULLETIN OF THE PSYCHONOMIC SOCIETY. 30(6), 478-478.
- FRENCHMESTRE, C. A., & VAID, J. (1992). MENTAL ADDITION IN BILINGUALS. International Journal of Psychology. 27(3-4), 82-82.
Institutional Repository Documents7
- Ward, T. B., Chu, A. H., Vaid, J., & Heredia, R. R. (2005). Divergence and overlap in bilingual concept representation.
- Vaid, J., & Padakannaya, P. (2004). Introduction: Reading and writing in semi-syllabic scripts.
- Vaid, J., & Ramachandran, V. S. (2001). Laughter and humour.
- Vaid, J. (1995). Scripts and Literacy.
awards and honors
- Fellow conferred by Psychonomic Society conferred by Psychonomic Society - (Madison, Wisconsin, United States) 2012
chaired theses and dissertations
- Kim, Kayoung (2015-05). English Word Segmentation in Korean-English Biliterates: A Hangul Orthographic Structure Effect. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Liew, Keen Seong (2014-05). Directional Bias in Representational Drawings of Graspable Objects by Right and Left Handers: The Contribution of Affordances vs. Biomechanical Principles. (Master's Thesis)
- Tosun, Sumeyra (2014-05). Source vs. Stance? On the Interpretation and Use of Evidential Utterances by Turkish- vs. English-Speaking Adults. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Rao, Chaitra (2010-05). Morphology in Word Recognition: Hindi and Urdu. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Tzou, Yeh-Zu (2008-08). The roles of working memory, language proficiency, and training in simultaneous interpretation performance: evidence from Chinese-English bilinguals. (Doctoral Dissertation)
Texas A&M University; Psychology; 4235 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4235