Dr. Bazer's research in reproductive biology focuses on uterine biology and pregnancy, particularly pregnancy recognition signaling from the conceptus to the maternal uterus by interferon tau and estrogen from ruminant and pig conceptuses, respectively. The roles of uterine secretions as transport proteins, regulatory molecules, growth factors and enzymes and endocrine regulation of their secretion is another major research interest. The endocrinology of pregnancy, especially the roles of lactogenic and growth hormones in fetal-placental development and uterine functions are being studied. The mechanism(s) of action and potential therapeutic value of conceptus interferons and uterine-derived hematopoietic growth factors are areas of research with both pigs and sheep as models for human disease.
- B.S. in Biology, Centenary College of Louisiana - (Shreveport, Louisiana, United States)
- M.S. in Animal Science, Louisiana State University - (Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States)
- Ph.D. in Animal Science, North Carolina State University - (Raleigh, North Carolina, United States)
- Halloran, K. M., Hoskins, E. C., Stenhouse, C., Moses, R. M., Dunlap, K. A., Satterfield, M. C., ... Bazer, F. W. (2021). Pre-implantation exogenous progesterone and pregnancy in sheep. II. Effects on fetal-placental development and nutrient transporters in late pregnancy. Journal of Animal Science and Biotechnology. 12(1), 46.
- Hoskins, E. C., Halloran, K. M., Stenhouse, C., Moses, R. M., Dunlap, K. A., Satterfield, M. C., ... Bazer, F. W. (2021). Pre-implantation exogenous progesterone and pregnancy in sheep: I. polyamines, nutrient transport, and progestamedins. Journal of Animal Science and Biotechnology. 12(1), 39.
- Sah, N., Wu, G., & Bazer, F. W. (2021). Regulation of Gene Expression by Amino Acids in Animal Cells. MATHEMATICAL MODELLING IN EXPERIMENTAL NUTRITION. 1332, 1-15.
- Elmetwally, M. A., Halawa, A. A., Tang, W., Wu, G., & Bazer, F. W. (2020). Effects of Bisphenol A on expression of genes related to amino acid transporters, insulin- like growth factor, aquaporin and amino acid release by porcine trophectoderm cells. REPRODUCTIVE TOXICOLOGY. 96, 241-248.
- Gootwine, E., Rosov, A., Alon, T., Stenhouse, C., Halloran, K. M., Wu, G., & Bazer, F. W. (2020). Effect of supplementation of unprotected or protected arginine to prolific ewes on maternal amino acids profile, lamb survival at birth, and pre- and post-weaning lamb growth. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 98(11), skaa284.
- Hou, T. Y., McMurray, D. N., & Chapkin, R. S. (2017). Omega-3 fatty acids and T-cell responses. Nutrition, Immunity, and Infection. (pp. 295-314).
- Wang, X., Wu, G., & Bazer, F. W. (2016). mTOR: The Master Regulator of Conceptus Development in Response to Uterine Histotroph During Pregnancy in Ungulates. Molecules to Medicine with mTOR: Translating Critical Pathways into Novel Therapeutic Strategies. (pp. 23-32). Elsevier.
- Bazer, F. W., & Spencer, T. E. (2011). Hormones and Pregnancy in Eutherian Mammals. Hormones and Reproduction of Vertebrates - Volume 5. (pp. 73-94). Elsevier.
- Bazer, F. W., Kraemer, D. C., & McHughen, A. (2011). Welfare, health, and biological efficiency of animals through genetics and biotechnology. Animal Welfare in Animal Agriculture: Husbandry, Stewardship, and Sustainability in Animal Production. (pp. 275-290).
- Wu, G., Bazer, F. W., Burghardt, R. C., Johnson, G. A., Kim, S. W., Knabe, D. A., ... Spencer, T. E. (2010). Functional amino acids in swine nutrition and production. Dynamics in Animal Nutrition. (pp. 69-98).
- Johnson, G. A., Bazer, F. W., Burghardt, R. C., Wu, G., Seo, H., Kramer, A. C., & McLendon, B. A. (2018). Cellular events during ovine implantation and impact for gestation. ANIMAL REPRODUCTION. 15(Suppl. 1), 843-855.
- Gilbreath, K. R., Nawaratna, G., Wickersham, T. A., Satterfield, M. C., Bazer, F. W., & Wu, G. (2017). 070 Ruminal microbes of adult steers extensively degrade l-glutamine but not l-glutamate or l-citrulline. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 95(suppl_4), 35-35.
- Hu, S., Nawaratna, G., Long, B. D., Bazer, F. W., Johnson, G. A., Brosnan, J. T., & Wu, G. (2017). 090 The hydroxyproline–glycine pathway for gl.ycine synthesis in neonatal pigs. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 95(suppl_4), 45-45.
- Guoyao, W. u., Bazer, F. W., & Meininger, C. J. (2017). THE ROLE OF LEUCINE IN OBESITY-INDUCED METABOLIC DISORDERS. Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism. 71, 154-154.
- Bazer, F. W., Wang, X., & Wu, G. (2015). Pathways for Synthesis of Polyamines and Their Roles in Conceptus Development and Pregnancy Recognition Signaling in Sheep. AMINO ACIDS. 47(8), 1670-1670.
- Moses, Robyn Marie (2020-08). Utilization of Glucose and Fructose by the Ovine Conceptus During the Peri-Implantation Period of Pregnancy. (Master's Thesis)
- Herring, Cassandra Marie (2018-08). Dietary Arginine Supplementation Enhances Placental Water Transport and Angiogenesis in Gestating Gilts. (Master's Thesis)
- Halloran, Katherine Marie (2018-08). Effects of Progesterone Supplementation on Growth and Development of the Fetal-Placental Unit. (Master's Thesis)
- Hoskins, Emily Claire (2018-08). Effects of Exogenous Progesterone During the Peri-Implantation Period of Pregnancy on Growth and Development of Ovine Conceptuses. (Master's Thesis)
- Wang, Xiaoqiu (2015-12). Functional Roles of Histotroph (Arginine, Secreted Phosphoprotein 1, and Fructose) in Trophectoderm Development in Mammalian Conceptuses during the Peri-Implantation Period of Pregnancy. (Doctoral Dissertation)