Dr. Bazer's research in reproductive biology focuses on uterine biology and pregnancy, particularly pregnancy recognition signaling from the conceptus to the maternal uterus by interferon tau and estrogen from ruminant and pig conceptuses, respectively. The roles of uterine secretions as transport proteins, regulatory molecules, growth factors and enzymes and endocrine regulation of their secretion is another major research interest. The endocrinology of pregnancy, especially the roles of lactogenic and growth hormones in fetal-placental development and uterine functions are being studied. The mechanism(s) of action and potential therapeutic value of conceptus interferons and uterine-derived hematopoietic growth factors are areas of research with both pigs and sheep as models for human disease.
- B.S. in Biology, Centenary College of Louisiana - (Shreveport, Louisiana, United States)
- M.S. in Animal Science, Louisiana State University - (Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States)
- Ph.D. in Animal Science, North Carolina State University - (Raleigh, North Carolina, United States)
- Furukawa, K., He, W., Bailey, C. A., Bazer, F. W., Toyomizu, M., & Wu, G. (2021). Polyamine synthesis from arginine and proline in tissues of developing chickens. Amino Acids. 53(11), 1739-1748.
- Posey, E. A., Bazer, F. W., & Wu, G. (2021). Amino Acids and Their Metabolites for Improving Human Exercising Performance. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology. 1332, 151-166.
- Halloran, K. M., Stenhouse, C., Wu, G., & Bazer, F. W. (2021). Arginine, Agmatine, and Polyamines: Key Regulators of Conceptus Development in Mammals. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology. 1332, 85-105.
- Stenhouse, C., Halloran, K. M., Newton, M. G., Gaddy, D., Suva, L. J., & Bazer, F. W. (2021). Novel mineral regulatory pathways in ovine pregnancy: II. Calcium-binding proteins, calcium transporters, and vitamin D signaling.. Biol Reprod. 105(1), 232-243.
- Steinhauser, C. B., Lambo, C. A., Askelson, K., Burns, G. W., Behura, S. K., Spencer, T. E., Bazer, F. W., & Satterfield, M. C. (2021). Placental Transcriptome Adaptations to Maternal Nutrient Restriction in Sheep.. Int J Mol Sci. 22(14), 7654-7654.
- Bazer, F. W. (2020). Reproductive physiology of sheep (Ovis aries) and goats (Capra aegagrus hircus). Animal Agriculture. 199-209. Elsevier.
- Daigle, C., Herring, A. D., & Bazer, F. W. (2018). Breeding and Welfare: Genetic Manipulation of Beef and Dairy Cattle. The Welfare of Cattle. 93-108. CRC Press.
- Bazer, F. W., & Johnson, G. A. (2018). Allantois. Encyclopedia of Reproduction. 559-561. Elsevier.
- Bazer, F. W., & Fields, M. J. (2018). Pregnancy and Parturition, Mammals. Encyclopedia of Reproduction. 450-457. Elsevier.
- Stenhouse, C., Halloran, K. M., Newton, M. G., Gaddy, D., Suva, L. J., & Bazer, F. W. (2020). FGF and Klotho Phosphate Regulatory Pathways Linking Placenta and Bone. JOURNAL OF BONE AND MINERAL RESEARCH. 35, 41-41.
- Wu, G., Gilbreath, K., Bazer, F., Satterfield, M., & Cleere, J. (2018). Dietary supplementation with an arginine product between Days 1 and 60 of gestation enhances embryonic survival in lactating beef cows. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 96, 373-373.
- Zhu, C., Jiang, Z., Bazer, F., Johnson, G., Burghardt, R., & Wu, G. (2018). Expression of AQP 1, 3, 5, and 9 in the porcine placenta and uterine endometrium during the estrous cycle and gestation. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 96, 482-483.
- Zhu, C., Ye, J., Bazer, F., Johnson, G., Bai, Y., Yang, J., ... Wu, G. (2018). L-Arginine upregulates aquaporin-3 expression and water transport by porcine trophectoderm cells through NO- and cAMP-dependent mechanisms. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 96, 303-304.
- Wu, G., Gilbreath, K., Bazer, F., Satterfield, M., & Cleere, J. (2018). Oral administration of L-citrulline, but not L-glutamine, to adult sheep increases the concentrations of L-citrulline and L-arginine in plasma. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 96, 458-458.
- Piedrahita, J., Lee, C., Weaks, R., & Bazer, F. (2003). Nuclear transfer using cells cultured in serum starvation media containing apoptosis inhibitors.
- Piedrahita, J., & Bazer, F. (2002). Methods comprising apoptosis inhibitors for the generation of transgenic pigs.
- Piedrahita, J. A., & Bazer, F. W. (2001). Cells and methods for the generation of transgenic pigs.
- Moses, Robyn Marie (2020-07). Utilization of Glucose and Fructose by the Ovine Conceptus During the Peri-Implantation Period of Pregnancy. (Master's Thesis)
- Moses, Robyn Marie (2020-08). Utilization of Glucose and Fructose by the Ovine Conceptus During the Peri-Implantation Period of Pregnancy. (Master's Thesis)
- Herring, Cassandra Marie (2018-08). Dietary Arginine Supplementation Enhances Placental Water Transport and Angiogenesis in Gestating Gilts. (Master's Thesis)
- Halloran, Katherine Marie (2018-08). Effects of Progesterone Supplementation on Growth and Development of the Fetal-Placental Unit. (Master's Thesis)
- Hoskins, Emily Claire (2018-08). Effects of Exogenous Progesterone During the Peri-Implantation Period of Pregnancy on Growth and Development of Ovine Conceptuses. (Master's Thesis)