Dr. Bazer's research in reproductive biology focuses on uterine biology and pregnancy, particularly pregnancy recognition signaling from the conceptus to the maternal uterus by interferon tau and estrogen from ruminant and pig conceptuses, respectively. The roles of uterine secretions as transport proteins, regulatory molecules, growth factors and enzymes and endocrine regulation of their secretion is another major research interest. The endocrinology of pregnancy, especially the roles of lactogenic and growth hormones in fetal-placental development and uterine functions are being studied. The mechanism(s) of action and potential therapeutic value of conceptus interferons and uterine-derived hematopoietic growth factors are areas of research with both pigs and sheep as models for human disease.
- B.S. in Biology, Centenary College of Louisiana - (Shreveport, Louisiana, United States)
- M.S. in Animal Science, Louisiana State University - (Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States)
- Ph.D. in Animal Science, North Carolina State University - (Raleigh, North Carolina, United States)
- Nochi, T., Suzuki, S., Ito, S., Morita, S., Furukawa, M., Fuchimoto, D., ... Aso, H. (2020). Elucidation of the Effects of a Current X-SCID Therapy on Intestinal Lymphoid Organogenesis Using an In Vivo Animal Model.. CMGH Cellular and Molecular Gastroenterology and Hepatology.
- Bazer, F. W., Seo, H., Wu, G., & Johnson, G. A. (2020). Interferon tau: Influences on growth and development of the conceptus.. THERIOGENOLOGY.
- Wu, G., Brown, J., Zamora, M. L., Miller, A., Satterfield, M. C., Meininger, C. J., ... Zhang, R. (2019). Adverse organogenesis and predisposed long-term metabolic syndrome from prenatal exposure to fine particulate matter. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA-BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES. 116(24), 11590-11595.
- Wu, G., & Bazer, F. W. (2019). Application of new biotechnologies for improvements in swine nutrition and pork production. Journal of Animal Science and Biotechnology. 10(1), 28.
- Ren, W., Xia, Y., Chen, S., Wu, G., Bazer, F. W., Zhou, B., ... Yin, Y. (2019). Glutamine Metabolism in Macrophages: A Novel Target for Obesity/Type 2 Diabetes.. Advances in nutrition (Bethesda, Md.).
- Hou, T. Y., McMurray, D. N., & Chapkin, R. S. (2017). Omega-3 fatty acids and T-cell responses. Nutrition, Immunity, and Infection. (pp. 295-314). CRC Press.
- Wang, X., Wu, G., & Bazer, F. W. (2016). mTOR: The Master Regulator of Conceptus Development in Response to Uterine Histotroph During Pregnancy in Ungulates. Molecules to Medicine with mTOR: Translating Critical Pathways into Novel Therapeutic Strategies. (pp. 23-32). Elsevier.
- Bazer, F. W., & Spencer, T. E. (2011). Hormones and Pregnancy in Eutherian Mammals. Hormones and Reproduction of Vertebrates - Volume 5. (pp. 73-94).
- Bazer, F. W., Kraemer, D. C., & McHughen, A. (2011). Welfare, health, and biological efficiency of animals through genetics and biotechnology. Animal Welfare in Animal Agriculture: Husbandry, Stewardship, and Sustainability in Animal Production. (pp. 275-290).
- Wu, G., Bazer, F. W., Burghardt, R. C., Johnson, G. A., Kim, S. W., Knabe, D. A., ... Spencer, T. E. (2010). Functional amino acids in swine nutrition and production. Dynamics in Animal Nutrition. (pp. 69-98).
- Johnson, G. A., Bazer, F. W., Burghardt, R. C., Wu, G., Seo, H., Kramer, A. C., & McLendon, B. A. (2018). Cellular events during ovine implantation and impact for gestation. ANIMAL REPRODUCTION. 15(Suppl. 1), 843-855.
- Gilbreath, K. R., Nawaratna, G., Wickersham, T. A., Satterfield, M. C., Bazer, F. W., & Wu, G. (2017). Ruminal microbes of adult steers extensively degrade L-glutamine but not L-glutamate or L-citrulline.. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 95(supplement4), 35-35.
- Guoyao, W. u., Bazer, F. W., & Meininger, C. J. (2017). THE ROLE OF LEUCINE IN OBESITY-INDUCED METABOLIC DISORDERS. Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism. 71, 154-154.
- Hu, S., Nawaratna, G., Long, B. D., Bazer, F. W., Johnson, G. A., Brosnan, J. T., & Wu, G. (2017). The hydroxyproline-glycine pathway for gl.ycine synthesis in neonatal pigs.. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 95(supplement4), 45-45.
- Bazer, F. W., Wang, X., & Wu, G. (2015). Pathways for Synthesis of Polyamines and Their Roles in Conceptus Development and Pregnancy Recognition Signaling in Sheep. AMINO ACIDS. 47(8), 1670-1670.
- Herring, Cassandra Marie (2018-08). Dietary Arginine Supplementation Enhances Placental Water Transport and Angiogenesis in Gestating Gilts. (Master's Thesis)
- Halloran, Katherine Marie (2018-08). Effects of Progesterone Supplementation on Growth and Development of the Fetal-Placental Unit. (Master's Thesis)
- Hoskins, Emily Claire (2018-08). Effects of Exogenous Progesterone During the Peri-Implantation Period of Pregnancy on Growth and Development of Ovine Conceptuses. (Master's Thesis)
- Wang, Xiaoqiu (2015-12). Functional Roles of Histotroph (Arginine, Secreted Phosphoprotein 1, and Fructose) in Trophectoderm Development in Mammalian Conceptuses during the Peri-Implantation Period of Pregnancy. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Ying, Wei (2015-05). Regulation of Obesity-Induced Adipose Tissue Inflammation and Insulin Resistance through Modulation of Immune Cell Function. (Doctoral Dissertation)