The current focus is on integrating genetic/epigenetic/immune mechanisms in colorectal cancer etiology. The genetic basis of oncology is studied using cultured human cancer cells and preclinical approaches, including the Apc-mutant polyposis in rat colon (Pirc) model coupled to a novel murine polypectomy methodology. Epigenomic aspects are studied through alterations in epigenetic 'readers', 'writers' and 'erasers', via combined deacetylase plus bromodomain inhibition, which also modulates immune-related players in cancer cells. Deacetylase/bromodomain expression and protein acetylation changes also are examined in clinical specimens, organoids, 3D spheroids, and human volunteers undergoing colonoscopy, thereby providing clinical translation of the research.
- Oregon State University - (Corvallis, Oregon, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1990
- Ph.D. in Genetic Toxicology, University of Portsmouth - (Portsmouth, Portsmouth, United Kingdom) 1986
- M.S. in Toxicology, University of Surrey - (Guildford, Surrey, United Kingdom) 1983
- B.S. in Biological Sciences (Cellular Toxicology), Plymouth University - (Plymouth, Plymouth, United Kingdom) 1982
- Dashwood, R. H. (2021). Cancer interception by interceptor molecules: mechanistic, preclinical and human translational studies with chlorophylls. Genes and Environment. 43(1), 8.
- Kapoor, S., Gustafson, T., Zhang, M., Chen, Y., Li, J., Nguyen, N., ... Dashwood, R. H. (2021). Deacetylase Plus Bromodomain Inhibition Downregulates ERCC2 and Suppresses the Growth of Metastatic Colon Cancer Cells. Cancers. 13(6), 1438-1438.
- Miller, M. S., Allen, P. J., Brown, P. H., Chan, A. T., Clapper, M. L., Dashwood, R. H., ... Mohammed, A. (2021). Meeting Report: Translational Advances in Cancer Prevention Agent Development Meeting. Journal of Cancer Prevention. 26(1), 71-82.
- Ulusan, A. M., Rajendran, P., Dashwood, W. M., Yavuz, O. F., Kapoor, S., Gustafson, T. A., ... Dashwood, R. H. (2020). Optimization of Erlotinib Plus Sulindac Dosing Regimens for Intestinal Cancer Prevention in an Apc-Mutant Model of Familial Adenomatous Polyposis (FAP). Cancer Prevention Research. 14(3), 325-336.
- Damiani, E., Duran, M. N., Mohan, N., Rajendran, P., & Dashwood, R. H. (2020). Targeting Epigenetic 'Readers' with Natural Compounds for Cancer Interception.. Journal of Cancer Prevention. 25(4), 189-203.
- Beaver, L. M., Williams, D. E., Dashwood, R. H., & Ho, E. (2012). Chemoprevention of Prostate Cancer with Cruciferous Vegetables: Role of Epigenetics. Nutrition, Diet and Cancer. (pp. 49-81). Springer Netherlands.
- Delage, B., & Dashwood, R. H. (2008). Targeting the epigenome with dietary agents. Dietary Modulation of Cell Signaling Pathways. (pp. 337-369).
- Ulusan, A., Rajendran, P., Dashwood, W., Mohammed, A., Sei, S., Brown, P. H., Vilar-Sanchez, E., & Dashwood, R. H. (2019). Abstract 5074: Optimizing erlotinib plus sulindac dosing regimens in a preclinical model of FAP. CANCER RESEARCH. 79(13), 5074-5074.
- Li, Q., Zhong, X. S., Nyeem, S. Z., Kline, K. T., Peng, J., Fujise, K., & Dashwood, R. H. (2018). Experimental colitis impedes cardiac function through epigenetic mechanisms. EUROPEAN HEART JOURNAL. 39, 994-995.
- Kaiser, M. C., Rajendran, P., Dashwood, M. W., Levine, M. A., Michaels, A., Frei, B., & Dashwood, R. H. (2013). An epigenetic perspective on pharmacologic ascorbate in colon cancer. FASEB J. 27,
- Beaver, L. M., Buchanan, A., Sokolowski, E. I., Chang, J. H., Wong, C. P., Williams, D. E., Dashwood, R. H., & Ho, E. (2013). Genome-wide transcriptome analysis of the effects of sulforphane on normal and prostate cancer cells. FASEB J. 27,
- Atwell, L. L., Clarke, J. D., Hsu, A., Bella, D., Stevens, J. F., Dashwood, R. H., Williams, D. E., & Ho, E. (2013). Sulforaphane bioavailability and bioactivity in humans. FASEB J. 27,
- Debunking a TikTok Trend The Washington Post April 29, 2021
- An Early Target for Acetylation in Colon Cancer Cells Treated with Sulforaphane NCI Division of Cancer Prevention October 23, 2019
- Research explains why you should eat your broccoli Vital Record March 1, 2019
- You are what you eat? Food fights disease Vital Record July 28, 2015
- Center for Epigenetics and Disease Prevention receives Texas A&M Board of Regents stamp of approval Vital Record May 1, 2015
- CCAR2 as a Target for Prevention of Colorectal Cancer awarded by DHHS-NIH-National Cancer Institute 2018 - 2023