The current focus is on integrating genetic/epigenetic/immune mechanisms in colorectal cancer etiology. The genetic basis of oncology is studied using cultured human cancer cells and preclinical approaches, including the Apc-mutant polyposis in rat colon (Pirc) model coupled to a novel murine polypectomy methodology. Epigenomic aspects are studied through alterations in epigenetic 'readers', 'writers' and 'erasers', via combined deacetylase plus bromodomain inhibition, which also modulates immune-related players in cancer cells. Deacetylase/bromodomain expression and protein acetylation changes also are examined in clinical specimens, organoids, 3D spheroids, and human volunteers undergoing colonoscopy, thereby providing clinical translation of the research.
- Oregon State University - (Corvallis, Oregon, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1990
- Ph.D. in Genetic Toxicology, University of Portsmouth - (Portsmouth, Portsmouth, United Kingdom) 1986
- M.S. in Toxicology, University of Surrey - (Guildford, Surrey, United Kingdom) 1983
- B.S. in Biological Sciences (Cellular Toxicology), Plymouth University - (Plymouth, Plymouth, United Kingdom) 1982
- Chen, Y., Li, J., Neja, S., Kapoor, S., Tovar Perez, J. E., Tripathi, C., ... Dashwood, R. (2022). Metabolomics of Acute vs. Chronic Spinach Intake in an Apc-Mutant Genetic Background: Linoleate and Butanoate Metabolites Targeting HDAC Activity and IFN- Signaling.. Cells. (3), 573-573.
- Dashwood, R. H. (2021). Cancer interception by interceptor molecules: mechanistic, preclinical and human translational studies with chlorophylls.. Genes Environ. 43(1), 8.
- Kapoor, S., Gustafson, T., Zhang, M., Chen, Y., Li, J., Nguyen, N., ... Dashwood, R. H. (2021). Deacetylase Plus Bromodomain Inhibition Downregulates ERCC2 and Suppresses the Growth of Metastatic Colon Cancer Cells.. Cancers (Basel). 13(6), 1438-1438.
- Miller, M. S., Allen, P. J., Brown, P. H., Chan, A. T., Clapper, M. L., Dashwood, R. H., ... Mohammed, A. (2021). Meeting Report: Translational Advances in Cancer Prevention Agent Development Meeting.. J Cancer Prev. 26(1), 71-82.
- Ulusan, A. M., Rajendran, P., Dashwood, W. M., Yavuz, O. F., Kapoor, S., Gustafson, T. A., ... Dashwood, R. H. (2021). Optimization of Erlotinib Plus Sulindac Dosing Regimens for Intestinal Cancer Prevention in an Apc-Mutant Model of Familial Adenomatous Polyposis (FAP).. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 14(3), 325-336.
- Beaver, L. M., Williams, D. E., Dashwood, R. H., & Ho, E. (2012). Chemoprevention of Prostate Cancer with Cruciferous Vegetables: Role of Epigenetics. Nutrition, Diet and Cancer. 49-81. Springer Netherlands.
- Delage, B., & Dashwood, R. (2008). Targeting the Epigenome with Dietary Agents. Oxidative Stress and Disease. 337-369. CRC Press.
- Rajendran, P., Ulusan, A., Dashwood, W., Kapoor, S., Mohammed, A., Sei, S., ... Dashwood, R. H. (2020). Abstract 21: Optimization of dosing regimens of sulindac in combination with erlotinib for small intestine and colorectal cancer prevention. Cancer Research. 80(16_Supplement), 21-21.
- Rajendran, P., Damiani, E., Wang, S., Dashwood, W., & Dashwood, R. H. (2020). Abstract 3477: Dietary polyphenols as epigenetic reader' inhibitors. Cancer Research. 80(16_Supplement), 3477-3477.
- Ulusan, A., Rajendran, P., Dashwood, W., Mohammed, A., Sei, S., Brown, P. H., Vilar-Sanchez, E., & Dashwood, R. H. (2019). Abstract 5074: Optimizing erlotinib plus sulindac dosing regimens in a preclinical model of FAP. Cancer Research. 79(13_Supplement), 5074-5074.
- Li, Q., Zhong, X. S., Nyeem, S. Z., Kline, K. T., Peng, J., Fujise, K., & Dashwood, R. H. (2018). Experimental colitis impedes cardiac function through epigenetic mechanisms. EUROPEAN HEART JOURNAL. 39, 994-995.
- Orner, G., Dashwood, W. M., Tebbutt, N. C., Li, Q., Heath, J. K., Myzak, M. C., Ernst, M., & Dashwood, R. H. (2017). Cancer chemoprevention by a combination of white tea plus sulindac in a mouse model expressing an oncogenic form of beta-catenin.. CANCER EPIDEMIOLOGY BIOMARKERS & PREVENTION. 12(11), 1287S-1287S.
Repository Documents / Preprints1
- Chen, Y., Li, J., Menon, R., Jayaraman, A., Lee, K., Huang, Y., ... Dashwood, R. (2021). Reshaping the Gut Microbiome in An Apc-Mutant Genetic Background: Mechanistic Insights From Integrated Multi-Omics.
- Debunking a TikTok Trend The Washington Post April 29, 2021
- Scientists Develop Highly Effective Detection Strategy For Childhood Brain Tumors Texas A&M Today October 22, 2020
- Highly effective tumor detection strategy for common childhood brain tumors EurekAlert! October 21, 2020
- Reliable tumor detection by whole-genome methylation sequencing of cell-free DNA in cerebrospinal fluid of pediatric medulloblastoma Science Magazine October 16, 2020
- An Early Target for Acetylation in Colon Cancer Cells Treated with Sulforaphane NCI Division of Cancer Prevention October 23, 2019
- CCAR2 as a Target for Prevention of Colorectal Cancer awarded by DHHS-NIH-National Cancer Institute 2018 - 2023