Our research interests are in enhancing our understanding of microbial-mediated processes in natural and engineered systems, and in application and development of biotechnology to address various environmental challenges in water, soils, and energy. The Chu lab applies molecular biology, isotopic techniques, chemical analysis, and phage biology to study environmental and biological systems, with focuses on (i) microbial ecology, fate and transport, biodegradation of environmental pollutants such as emerging contaminants and persistent organic pollutants, (ii) production of biofuels and bioproducts from renewable resources, and (iii) detection, tracking, and quantification of microorganisms that play roles in water quality, bioremediation, carbon sequestration and nitrogen cycle in the environment. Other research areas include development and application of novel sorbents and catalysts (bio and non-bio) for removing and/or monitoring emerging environmental pollutants.
- Yang, S., Chen, C., & Chu, K. (2021). Fecal indicators, pathogens, antibiotic resistance genes, and ecotoxicity in Galveston Bay after Hurricane Harvey.. J Hazard Mater. 411, 124953-124953.
- Hwangbo, M., Gill, J. J., Young, R. y., & Chu, K. (2021). Dual-function oleaginous biocatalysts for non-sterile cultivation and solvent-free biolipid bioextraction to reduce biolipid-based biofuel production costs.. Sci Total Environ. 758, 143969-143969.
- Asiri, F., & Chu, K. (2020). A Novel Recirculating Aquaculture System for Sustainable Aquaculture: Enabling Wastewater Reuse and Conversion of Waste-to-Immune-Stimulating Fish Feed. ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering. 8(49), 18094-18105.
- Asiri, F., Chen, C., Hwangbo, M., Shao, Y., & Chu, K. (2020). From Organic Wastes to Bioplastics: Feasibility of Nonsterile Poly(3-hydroxybutyrate) Production by Zobellella denitrificans ZD1.. ACS Omega. 5(38), 24158-24168.
- Hwangbo, M., & Chu, K. (2020). Recent advances in production and extraction of bacterial lipids for biofuel production.. Sci Total Environ. 734, 139420-139420.
- Asiri, F., Chen, C., Hwangbo, M., Shao, Y., & Chu, K. (2019). Sustainable production of polyhydroxybutyrate (PHB) by Zobellella denitrificans ZD1 grown with non-sterile salty waste streams. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 258,
- Liu, Y., Pavia, A., Walsh, G., Kuo, L., Chu, K., Yang, S., ... Knap, A. (2019). Distribution of Per- and Polyfluorinated Alkyl Substances (PFAS) in Galveston Bay, TX. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 257,
- Arnold, M. A., Newman, G., Li, M., Kim, J., & Chu, K. (2018). Integration of Nursery Production and Propagation Learning Experiences In a Multidisciplinary LID Landscape Project Yields Academic and Economic Benefits. HORTSCIENCE. 53(9), S482-S482.
- Chen, C., Yang, S., Martinez, K., Liu, Y., Wade, T., & Chu, K. (2018). Accumulation and toxicity of perfluorooctanoic acid and perfluoroalkyl alternatives on earthworms (Eisenia fetida) and terrestrial plants. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 256,
- Chen, C., Lei, S., & Chu, K. (2018). Biodegradation potential of 1,4-dioxane in high salinity environment. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 256,
- Deeb, R. A., Nishino, S., Spain, J., Hu, H. Y., Scow, K., & Alvarez-Cohen, L. (2000). MTBE and benzene biodegradation by a bacterial isolate via two independent monooxygenase-initiated pathways. National Meeting- American Chemical Society Division of Environmental Chemistry. 40(1), 280-282.
- FFATA: Lipid Production and Extraction for Biodiesel awarded by National Science Foundation 2011 - 2015
- Tran, Janessa Le (2016-12). One-Pot Enzymatic Treatment of Lignocellulosic Biomass for Bioenergy Production. (Master's Thesis)
- Abada, Bilal Saad Azeez (2016-12). Degradation of Poly- and Per-fluoroalkyl Substances (PFASs) Using Photocatalyst Zinc Oxide. (Master's Thesis)
- Hand, Steven (2015-08). Bacteriophage Facilitated Extraction of Polyhydroxylalkanoates Produced by Pseudomonas oleovorans Grown on Synthetic Crude Glycerol. (Master's Thesis)
- Cho, Kun-Ching (2013-12). Application of Stable Isotope Probing to Identify RDX-degrading Bacteria in Groundwater. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Kim, Myung Hee 1982- (2012-12). Factors Affecting Biodefluorination of Fluorotelomer Alcohols (FTOHs): Degradative Microorganisms, Transformation Metabolites and Pathways, and Effects of Co-substrates. (Doctoral Dissertation)