- Professor and Associate Department Head, Small Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
I have been a practicing veterinary orthopedic and spine surgeon since 1992, with expertise in arthroscopy, trauma of the long bones and spine, angular limb deformity, and joint stabilization. From the research perspective, my experience has included biomechanics, bone grafting, spinal cord injury and gait analysis. My board certification in neurology has allowed a more in-depth perspective on gait analysis, spinal biomechanics, and the considerable crossover that occurs between orthopedic and neurologic disease.
- Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States), Medical Residency 2016
- M.S. in Veterinary Physiology, Louisiana State University - (Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States) 1993
- Louisiana State University - (Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States), Medical Residency 1992
- D.V.M. in Veterinary Medicine, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 1988
- B.S. in Veterinary Science, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 1986
- Jeffery, N. D., Mankin, J. M., Ito, D., Boudreau, C. E., Kerwin, S. C., Levine, J. M., ... Granger, N. (2020). Extended durotomy to treat severe spinal cord injury after acute thoracolumbar disc herniation in dogs. VETERINARY SURGERY. 49(5), 884-893.
- Schlag, A. N., Hayes, G. M., Taylor, A. Q., Kerwin, S. C., Dugat, D. R., Vitt, M. A., Stratton, D. T., & Duffy, D. J. (2019). Analysis of outcomes following treatment of craniodorsal hip luxation with closed reduction and Ehmer sling application in dogs. JAVMA-JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION. 254(12), 1436-1440.
- Taylor, A. R., & Kerwin, S. C. (2018). Clinical Evaluation of the Feline Neurologic Patient. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract. 48(1), 1-+.
- Ruoff, C. M., Kerwin, S. C., & Taylor, A. R. (2018). Diagnostic Imaging of Discospondylitis. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract. 48(1), 85-+.
- Kerwin, S. C., & Taylor, A. R. (2018). Neurology Preface. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract. 48(1), XV-XVI.
- Kerwin, S. C. (2014). Fixation with pins and wires: Application of cerclage and hemi-cerclage wires. Current Techniques in Small Animal Surgery, Fifth Edition. (pp. 769-775).
- Kerwin, S. C. (2014). Intramedullary pins and kirschner wires. Current Techniques in Small Animal Surgery, Fifth Edition. (pp. 775-780).
- Davidson, J. R., & Kerwin, S. (2013). Common Orthopedic Conditions and Their Physical Rehabilitation. Canine Rehabilitation and Physical Therapy: Second Edition. (pp. 543-581). Elsevier.
- Turnwald, G., Stone, E., Bristol, D., Fuentealba, C., Hardie, L., Hellyer, P., ... Warner, A. (2008). Assessing clinical competency: reports from discussion groups.. J Vet Med Educ. 35(3), 343-353.
- Banwell, M. N., Kerwin, S. C., Hosgood, G., Hedlund, C. S., & Metcalf, J. B. (2005). In vitro evaluation of the 18 and 36 kg Securos Cranial Cruciate Ligament Repair System (TM). VETERINARY SURGERY. 34(3), 283-288.