- Professor and Associate Department Head, Small Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
I have been a practicing veterinary orthopedic and spine surgeon since 1992, with expertise in arthroscopy, trauma of the long bones and spine, angular limb deformity, and joint stabilization. From the research perspective, my experience has included biomechanics, bone grafting, spinal cord injury and gait analysis. My board certification in neurology has allowed a more in-depth perspective on gait analysis, spinal biomechanics, and the considerable crossover that occurs between orthopedic and neurologic disease.
- Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States), Medical Residency 2016
- M.S. in Veterinary Physiology, Louisiana State University - (Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States) 1993
- Louisiana State University - (Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States), Medical Residency 1992
- D.V.M. in Veterinary Medicine, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 1988
- B.S. in Veterinary Science, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 1986
- Schrock, K., Kerwin, S. C., & Jeffery, N. (2021). Outcomes and Complications Associated with Acute Gunshot Fractures in Cats and Dogs. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology.
- Thieman Mankin, K. M., Jeffery, N. D., & Kerwin, S. C. (2021). The impact of a surgical checklist on surgical outcomes in an academic institution.. Vet Surg. 50(4), 848-857.
- Kerwin, S. C., & Taylor, A. R. (2021). Assessment of Orthopedic Versus Neurologic Causes of Gait Change in Dogs and Cats.. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract. 51(2), 253-261.
- Kerwin, S. C., & Taylor, A. R. (2021). Neurologic Causes of Thoracic Limb Lameness.. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract. 51(2), 357-364.
- Jeffery, N. D., Mankin, J. M., Ito, D., Boudreau, C. E., Kerwin, S. C., Levine, J. M., ... Granger, N. (2020). Extended durotomy to treat severe spinal cord injury after acute thoracolumbar disc herniation in dogs.. Vet Surg. 49(5), 884-893.
- Kerwin, S. C., Levine, J. M., & Mankin, J. M. (2018). Thoracolumbar Vertebral Column. Johnston, S. A., & Tobias, K. M. (Eds.), Veterinary Surgery: Small Animal Expert Consult, 2nd Edition. Elsevier.
- Davidson, J. R., & Kerwin, S (2014). Common Orthopedic Conditions and Their Physical Rehabilitation. Canine Rehabilitation and Physical Therapy. 543-581. Elsevier.
- Kerwin, S. C. (2014). Intramedullary Pins and Kirschner Wires. CURRENT TECHNIQUES IN SMALL ANIMAL SURGERY, 5TH EDITION. 775-780.
- (2014). Fixation with pins and wires: Application of cerclage and hemi-cerclage wires. Current Techniques in Small Animal Surgery, Fifth Edition. 769-775.
- Turnwald, G., Stone, E., Bristol, D., Fuentealba, C., Hardie, L., Hellyer, P., ... Warner, A. (2008). Assessing clinical competency: reports from discussion groups.. J Vet Med Educ. 35(3), 343-353.
- Banwell, M. N., Kerwin, S. C., Hosgood, G., Hedlund, C. S., & Metcalf, J. B (2005). In vitro evaluation of the 18 and 36 kg Securos Cranial Cruciate Ligament Repair System.. Vet Surg. 34(3), 283-288.