My research aims to understand why certain groups of people experience a greater health and disease burden and to promote health equity among all youth and families. I strive to engage with communities to understand individual, familial, community, and cultural risk and protective factors among minoritized, marginalized, and underserved populations. In my research, I consider how co-occurring adversities (i.e., HIV, violence, substance misuse) and health comorbidities (i.e., metabolic complications) are maintained based on intersectional identities (i.e., race, ethnicity, gender, class, sexuality). I then use this knowledge to develop strength-based, culturally-responsive programs and interventions to enhance well-being, reduce stigma, and promote self-empowerment.
- Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology, Pediatric Psychology Concentration, University of South Florida - (Tampa, Florida, United States) 2010
- M.A. in Psychology, University of South Florida - (Tampa, Florida, United States) 2006
- B.S. in Psychology, Magna cum Laude, Psychology honors, Florida State University - (Tallahassee, Florida, United States) 2003
- Thurston, I. B., Decker, K. M., Kamody, R. C., Kaufman, C. C., Maye, C. E., Richmond, T. K., & Sonneville, K. R. (2021). The scale matters: assessing body size with figure rating scales in a diverse sample of young adults. Eating and Weight Disorders - Studies on Anorexia, Bulimia and Obesity. 1-9.
- Richmond, T. K., Thurston, I. B., & Sonneville, K. R. (2021). Weight-Focused Public Health Interventions—No Benefit, Some Harm. JAMA Pediatrics. 175(3), 238-239.
- Kamody, R. C., Thurston, I. B., & Burton, E. T. (2021). Adolescent Engagement in a Binge-Eating Behavioral Health Intervention: Influence of Perceptions of Physical Appearance and Locus of Control. Children. 8(2), 102-102.
- Jamison, L. E., Howell, K. H., Decker, K. M., Schwartz, L. E., & Thurston, I. B. (2021). Associations between Substance Use and Depressive Symptoms among Women Experiencing Intimate Partner Violence. Journal of Trauma & Dissociation. 1-15.
- Kaufman, C. C., Thurston, I. B., Howell, K. H., & Crossnine, C. B. (2020). Associations Between Spirituality and Mental Health in Women Exposed to Adversity. Psychology of Religion and Spirituality. 12(4), 400-408.
- Thurston, I. B., Decker, K., & Hardin, R. (2016). Antiretroviral Medication Adherence and Disease Management in Pediatric Populations. Chenneville, T. (Eds.), A Clinical Guide to Pediatric HIV. (pp. 163-188). Springer International Publishing.
- Phares, V., Rojas, A., Thurston, I. B., & Hankinson, J. C. (2010). Including fathers in clinical interventions for children and adolescents.. The role of the father in child development, 5th ed.. (pp. 459-485). John Wiley & Sons Inc.
- Thurston, I., Decker, K., & Hardin, R. (2010). The connections between individual therapy in the family and adolescents’ emotional/behavioral problems. Columbus, A. M. (Eds.), Advances in Psychology Research: Volume 67. (pp. 149-162). Nova Science Publishers.
- Pichon, L. C., Powell, T. W., Stubbs, A. W., Becton-Odum, N., Ogg, S., Arnold, T., & Thurston, I. B. (2020). An Exploration of U.S. Southern Faith Leaders’ Perspectives of HIV Prevention, Sexuality, and Sexual Health Teachings. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 17(16), 5734-S1152.
- Taylor, J. A., Thurston, I. B., Schwartz, D., Womack, C. E., Wallace, N. D., & Martin, M. (2020). ENGAGING 6TH THROUGH 9TH GRADE STUDENTS IN CANCER-RELATED STEM PROJECTS: A PILOT EXAMINATION OF PROJECT CLIMB MEMPHIS. Annals of Behavioral Medicine. 54, S710-S710.
- Thurston, I. B., Howell, K. H., Kaufman, C. C., Howie, W., & Maye, C. (2020). RESILIENCE AMONG BLACK ADOLESCENTS WITH LARGE BODIES: THE ROLE OF SLEEP, QUALITY OF LIFE, AND CAREGIVER FACTORS. Annals of Behavioral Medicine. 54, S727-S727.
- Nagata, J. M., Thurston, I. B., Karazsia, B., Woolridge, D., Buckelew, S., Murray, S., & Calzo, J. P. (2020). EATING DISORDERS AND SLEEP DISTURBANCES IN YOUNG ADULTS: A PROSPECTIVE COHORT STUDY. JOURNAL OF ADOLESCENT HEALTH. 66(2), S26-S26.
- Kaufman, C. C., Thurston, I. B., Howell, K., Maclin-Akinyemi, C., Young, S., & Amaba, B. R. (2019). ASSOCIATIONS BETWEEN ETHNIC IDENTITY, SOCIAL SUPPORT, AND SPIRITUALITY AMONG WOMEN LIVING WITH ADVERSITY. Annals of Behavioral Medicine. 53, S604-S604.