My research aims to understand why certain groups of people experience a greater health and disease burden and to promote health equity among all youth and families. I strive to engage with communities to understand individual, familial, community, and cultural risk and protective factors among minoritized, marginalized, and underserved populations. In my research, I consider how co-occurring adversities (i.e., HIV, violence, substance misuse) and health comorbidities (i.e., metabolic complications) are maintained based on intersectional identities (i.e., race, ethnicity, gender, class, sexuality). I then use this knowledge to develop strength-based, culturally-responsive programs and interventions to enhance well-being, reduce stigma, and promote self-empowerment.
- Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology, Pediatric Psychology Concentration, University of South Florida - (Tampa, Florida, United States) 2010
- M.A. in Psychology, University of South Florida - (Tampa, Florida, United States) 2006
- B.S. in Psychology, Magna cum Laude, Psychology honors, Florida State University - (Tallahassee, Florida, United States) 2003
- Kamody, R. C., Howell, K. H., Schwartz, L. E., Schaefer, L. M., & Thurston, I. B. (2020). A Cross-Sectional Examination of Intimate Partner Violence and Mother-Child Communication. Journal of Child and Family Studies. 29(5), 1363-1373.
- Kaufman, C. C., Howell, K. H., Mandell, J. E., Hasselle, A. H., & Thurston, I. B. (2020). Spirituality and Parenting among Women Experiencing Intimate Partner Violence. JOURNAL OF FAMILY VIOLENCE. 1-11.
- Kamody, R. C., Thurston, I. B., & Burton, E. T. (2020). Acceptance-based skill acquisition and cognitive reappraisal in a culturally responsive treatment for binge eating in adolescence. Eating Disorders. 28(2), 1-18.
- Decker, K. M., Thurston, I. B., Howell, K. H., Hasselle, A. J., & Kamody, R. C. (2020). Associations between Profiles of Maternal Strengths and Positive Parenting Practices among Mothers Experiencing Adversity. PARENTING-SCIENCE AND PRACTICE. 1-23.
- Hardin, R. N., Thurston, I. B., Howell, K. H., Kamody, R. C., & Kaufman, C. C. (2020). External Factors Associated With Community Cohesion in Women Living With HIV.. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care. 31(2), 137-144.
- Thurston, I. B., Decker, K., & Hardin, R. (2016). Antiretroviral Medication Adherence and Disease Management in Pediatric Populations. Chenneville, T. (Eds.), A Clinical Guide to Pediatric HIV. (pp. 163-188). Springer International Publishing.
- Phares, V., Rojas, A., Thurston, I. B., & Hankinson, J. C. (2010). Including fathers in clinical interventions for children and adolescents.. The role of the father in child development, 5th ed.. (pp. 459-485). John Wiley & Sons Inc.
- Thurston, I., Decker, K., & Hardin, R. (2010). The connections between individual therapy in the family and adolescents’ emotional/behavioral problems. Columbus, A. M. (Eds.), Advances in Psychology Research: Volume 67. (pp. 149-162). Nova Science Publishers.
- Nagata, J. M., Thurston, I. B., Karazsia, B., Woolridge, D., Buckelew, S., Murray, S., & Calzo, J. P. (2020). EATING DISORDERS AND SLEEP DISTURBANCES IN YOUNG ADULTS: A PROSPECTIVE COHORT STUDY. JOURNAL OF ADOLESCENT HEALTH. 66(2), S26-S26.
- Kaufman, C. C., Thurston, I. B., Howell, K., Maclin-Akinyemi, C., Young, S., & Amaba, B. R. (2019). ASSOCIATIONS BETWEEN ETHNIC IDENTITY, SOCIAL SUPPORT, AND SPIRITUALITY AMONG WOMEN LIVING WITH ADVERSITY. Ann Behav Med. 53, S604-S604.
- Kaufman, C., Thurston, I. B., Paladino, A., & Decker, K. (2018). ASSOCIATION BETWEEN SLEEP QUALITY, DISORDERED EATING, AND DEPRESSIVE SYMPTOMS AMONG COLLEGE STUDENTS. Ann Behav Med. 52, S66-S66.
- Thurston, I. B., & Howell, K. H. (2018). ETHNIC IDENTITY MODERATES THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN STRESS AND CO-OCCURRING ADVERSITIES AMONG BLACK WOMEN. Ann Behav Med. 52, S114-S114.
- Maclin-Akinyemi, C., Decker, K., Thurston, I. B., Hardin, R., & Mandell, J. (2018). ETHNIC IDENTITY PREDICTS WEIGHT MISPERCEPTION FOR EMERGING ADULTS CLASSIFIED WITH OVERWEIGHT/OBESITY. Ann Behav Med. 52, S605-S605.